2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I have a spare key made?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Can I have a spare key made?

I have 2 keys that came with my used 2009 Honda Fit Sport. They both have the remote lock/unlock buttons. I like to hide-a-key on my car, just in case I lose my key or lock it in my car (stuff happens ).

Does anyone know if I can take one of my keys to a Hardware store and have a simple door/ignition key made? Has anyone done this?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by FlipsFit
I have 2 keys that came with my used 2009 Honda Fit Sport. They both have the remote lock/unlock buttons. I like to hide-a-key on my car, just in case I lose my key or lock it in my car (stuff happens ).

Does anyone know if I can take one of my keys to a Hardware store and have a simple door/ignition key made? Has anyone done this?
You can get a door unlock key made potentially, assuming the hardware store can cut that kind of key. But if you want to start the car, the dealer has to program the car to recognize the key's code.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Huh. So, the key is "smart"? I am coming from a car with manual locks and windows, so electronic door locks are new to me. I've never actually lost my keys, but I'd rather be prepared...

Old 08-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Huh. So, the key is "smart"? I am coming from a car with manual locks and windows, so electronic door locks are new to me. I've never actually lost my keys, but I'd rather be prepared...
Yeah, there's a chip in key that talks to the car. If the car doesn't get the right info, it won't turn on the fuel pump, even if you jump start the car. And this is separate from the remote door lock chip.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:48 AM
On my RAV4 I had a dumb key made that could only unlock the door and kept a smart key hidden inside the car.

There are online companies who will sell you a key with chip for $20 and claim your Honda dealer "might" program it as a courtesy. Does anybody have experience with this?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:57 AM
I don't think so, the keys are not like the kind you can just put on a jig and cut out like they do at the hardware store.

Go get one from the dealership? Just give them your VIN and they can make one for you with the security transponder and all. It will not be cheap though.

How much are the aftermarket keys?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:00 PM
You should probably go to a dealership to get it cut. Mine took 5 minutes to get it laser cut. The key cost 15 on eBay.

The dealership said that it would be 160 to program, which I didn't opt for.

Guess it varies by region but I doubt they will program the imobilizer for free

Old 08-29-2011, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by georget99
On my RAV4 I had a dumb key made that could only unlock the door and kept a smart key hidden inside the car.
Great idea, George! Thanks! I'll do this...

Old 08-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Cool I had good luck...

Great idea, George! Thanks! I'll do this...

With a real locksmith for my flip-key...wouldn't take it to a hardware store...dealers can mess the key up also and if it isn't their blank they don't guarantee it works...

Old 08-30-2011, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
i went to the dealer and had a dumb key cut a while back. iirc it was less than $5 and done in a couple minutes.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:53 PM
I got curious and called an automotive locksmith. They quoted $75 for a key with transponder chip but no remote unlock.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Well, here's the update. Went to the dealer and for $8 they made me a door key for my '09 Fit. They didn't even need my key, just the VIN.

I found it pretty freaky to learn there is only one way to unlock the Fit with a non-remote key! No key hole on ANY OTHER DOOR but the Driver Door. How strange!

Anyway, thanks for all your input. I will now just hide a my spare smart key in the car, and hide the spare door key on the outside of the car, and no worries...

Old 09-03-2011, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Well, here's the update. Went to the dealer and for $8 they made me a door key for my '09 Fit. They didn't even need my key, just the VIN.

I found it pretty freaky to learn there is only one way to unlock the Fit with a non-remote key! No key hole on ANY OTHER DOOR but the Driver Door. How strange!

Anyway, thanks for all your input. I will now just hide a my spare smart key in the car, and hide the spare door key on the outside of the car, and no worries...
This sounds like a good idea--thanks for the suggestion. One question, though. Is there a safe distance the hidden key has to be from the dashboard area to prevent it from defeating the interlock system? I have know idea how this system works, so please excuse me if there's an obvious answer to this.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Eugene.Atget
This sounds like a good idea--thanks for the suggestion. One question, though. Is there a safe distance the hidden key has to be from the dashboard area to prevent it from defeating the interlock system? I have know idea how this system works, so please excuse me if there's an obvious answer to this.
Good question. I tested it by leaving my spare smart key in the center console. I was able to start the car with my extra smart key and also leave the car and lock it with the smart key. So I assume you can leave the spare smart key just about anywhere but in the ignitiion.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
I just called the dealership. They said that they will not do anything unless you purchase the key from them. I was hoping to save at least $30 to buy the key online and bring it to them, but they refused!

Key (with remote entry) = $60
program = $120
Total: $180 + tax

It is very expensive, but i really don't see any other ways to get around with it. Any suggestions?

Old 09-06-2011, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by be12nard
I just called the dealership. They said that they will not do anything unless you purchase the key from them. I was hoping to save at least $30 to buy the key online and bring it to them, but they refused!

Key (with remote entry) = $60
program = $120
Total: $180 + tax

It is very expensive, but i really don't see any other ways to get around with it. Any suggestions?
Different dealer and/or email the service manager. Here's an excerpt from my conversation back in January. Hennesey wanted too much ($120). Emailed another dealer and this was their response:

Greg Gibbons (GGibbons@edvoyles.com) Sent:Tue 1/25/11 9:35 AMTo: Steve244

We can cut your key and the charge is only $ 8.00 we will still need the car to add to the set up or program it to the other keys that you have. If you do not program it ,it will not start the car it will open the doors but won’t start. The program charge is 52.50 plus the 8.00 total would be 60.50.

Greg

Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:23 AM
To: Greg Gibbons
Subject: RE: Help! (sad key story on 09 Fit)

I purchased a new blank remote key from Courtesy Honda in Sanford FL for $35. It's just cutting and registering the key with the car's immobilizer so it can be used as a key instead of just an entry fob that I need performed.

Hennessy wants $120 for cutting and security. I'm looking for a more reasonable price. I'm guessing it's about 15 minutes labor; of course it requires the specialized cutter and software that only Honda has.

Thanks, Steve

Last edited by sam; 10-20-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: cleared unused link
Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Call a different dealer. $100 is not unreasonable (~$30 for the key, $60 for an hour of shop time and a bit of profit).

Old 09-06-2011, 05:19 PM
I bought a blank remote key for around $45 and programmed it to lock/unlock doors for my friend's base Fit- there's a video from College Hills Honda on the web showing how to program it- very easy. Silly to pay a dealer to do that part of it.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 PM
s30
I like the under $10 option. As long as you can get in the car, makes it easier to tow it if need.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:45 PM
ok so i bought a switchblade style key, the unlock/lock/panic part is a complete removable box to say, no wires or anything put that into the new switchblade key, now i need the blank attached part cut to fit the ignition, so i still need to program it or will it work since the unlock part is now in this new key, old key essentially is just a shell with the key attached now, or is the "chip" inside the metal of the key? this is way confusing

Quick Reply: Can I have a spare key made?