2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Honda Fit Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
2012 Honda Fit Feedback

I'm considering the '12 Fit and need some feedback for those that have recently purchased one.

Background: I had a '07 Fit and ultimately sold it due to a few quirks that could not be easily mitigated: front wipers that wouldn't work, extremely loud on the highway, very firm ride, and an uncomfortable driver's seat. Other than that, it was a blast to drive, especially in-town/short distances. I've since bought an Accord (7th gen) and now a CR-V. At this point, I'm looking to trim my car payments and obtain better mileage.

Some questions:
1. How does the power of the 2nd gen Fit compare to the 1st gen? Easier to maneuver and accelerate on the highway?
2. Driver's seat in the 2nd gen - comfortable? Fatigue on long trips?
3. How is the sound suppression/NVH of the '12 compare to the pre-MMC 2nd gen and the 1st gen?
4. Is the handling/ride anymore compliant in the 2nd gen compared to the 1st gen? (IMO the first gen was too firm)
5. Is there anyway to add variable speed intermittent front wipers?
6. One of the exterior features from the Honda Fit website mentions "tinted glass" - is this true? which windows are tinted and how much?
7. Does anyone think that the $1780 navigation system is worth it? (of course, it now has Bluetooth/Bluetooth-Audio and is flash-based)

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by drfranklin; 09-20-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 AM
ill answer the few i can. i own a 2010, but apart from a few exterior changes, its identical to the 2012. Ive driven both the m/t(own) and a/t GE8

1. the GE8 has about 10 more horsepower and is slightly lighter. from what i understand, the gearing is also slightly shorter (dont quote me on that), so yes, the ge is faster than the gd... it has plenty of power on the highway. while you wont win races, you can pass people relatively easily.
2. the drivers seat isnt too bad, until you reach the 2-hour mark. then it gets pretty uncomfortable. its probably a common complaint on here. fatigue on long trips can be common.
4. supposedly, the ge8 has a re-designed frame that is way stiffer than the first gen, resulting in better handling. however, most people think the gd is a better handling car, probably due to its shorter wheel base. if you are just looking for comfort.. i think the ge8 is probably better. technically its a 'stiffer' car.. but it doesnt feel as stiff. members who have driven both the gd and ge think the ge is ..slushier (anyone who can contribute better on this?)

i cant really comment on the rest. hope that helps!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Some questions:
1. How does the power of the 2nd gen Fit compare to the 1st gen? Easier to maneuver and accelerate on the highway?

Me: 09 Fit Base automatic purchased for 50mile (rt) daily commute, metro Atlanta.

Enthusiasts claim the 1st gen is more "tossable." Specs have 2nd gen at more power, but with more weight, real world performance seems to be about the same.

The design is different. I find it comfortable. (5'8" 165lb average build (me not the seat)) Some people find the position of the headrest very uncomfortable. It has good lumbar support (I think), but the lack of adjustable lumbar support and seat height limit comfort.

I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long trip, but my v6 camry would be my first choice. Roadability improved with tires changed to michelins and an alignment.

3. How is the sound suppression/NVH of the '12 compare to the pre-MMC 2nd gen and the 1st gen?

anecdotal reports from '12 buyers are they are glad they waited. Noise levels are noticeably less. NVH? MMC (mid model change?)

4. Is the handling/ride anymore compliant in the 2nd gen compared to the 1st gen? (IMO the first gen was too firm)

I think yes, based on tossability reports of the 1st gen owners (might be jealousy). 2nd gen is slightly longer/heavier so this tends to support their argument.

There's probably a bigger difference between the Sport and Base models given different tire geometries and less torsion resistance on the rear torsion bar (Sport has an extra anti-roll bar).

People have retrofitted variable speed using components from other Hondas. There's no factory solution however.

6. One of the exterior features from the Honda Fit website mentions "tinted glass" - is this true? which windows are tinted and how much?

the 2nd gen is tinted the same amount as the 1st gen. It doesn't have extra "privacy" tinting.

7. Does anyone think that the $1780 navigation system is worth it? (of course, it now has Bluetooth/Bluetooth-Audio and is flash-based)

Before it included stability control (not a big attraction for me), now VSA is included on all Fits. $1780 seems like it would take a lot of rationalization. I use paper maps and rarely talk on the phone in a car.

There are a couple people here that have owned both 1st and 2nd gens (not 2012s) and like their 2nd gen better. But I think they'd have to...

edit: the A/C is still weak. It's OK with covered parking. This alone would make me look twice at the competition if I didn't have covered parking.

Last edited by Steve244; 09-20-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
2012 Fit Sport Questions

Hi, I just bought a 2012 Fit Sport AT. Drove it 110 highway miles and have made a few trips around town. I have been in a 2007 Fit a few times.

For sure. Was not noticeably affected by wind when a tractor trailer passed me doing 70. I was doing about 55.

On the 110 mile trip, I was 100% comfortable. Great lumbar support, and the seat cushion is actually the perfect combination of comfort and support.

Engine and Wind noise were not noticeable at 55-60. Tire roar was, but that it because I was on a concrete highway. I would say that overall sound isolation is impressive for the price/class.

Definitely. The 1st en Fit dated back to 2001. My 2012 feels like a 2012, the ride absorbs bumps well, and it turns in nice and sharp without much body roll.

It rained this morning so I used the wipers for the first time. The speeds available were perfect for the amount of rain. I don't think you'd be bothered by what you get.

There isn't much tint on the glass. I plan to get 50% tint on all the side and rear windows in the spring.

It was not worth it to me. My "normal" Sport still has VSC, steering wheel audio controls, and a decent iPod interface. I also already had a very nice Garmin.

***Other Thoughts***

I drove it home from the dealer, 95% highway, and my AVG mpg was 40.7 according to the computer. Yes, I was doing 55-60 (maybe 59 avg), but this was pretty good for the auto model. We will see what the actual mpg turn out to be.

I went for the Silver thinking it could help keep the car cool. Well, I parked it facing the sun on a 63ish day, and it was still somewhat warm when I got in it around 4:30. I parked it facing away from the sun this morning, I hope it makes a difference...

If you have any other questions just keep posting them...

Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
If you want a smooth riding car with good MPG, look at the 2012 Civic instead, possibly an EX. The LX is a good bargain, but plan to upgrade the wheels/tires on it since the 15" tires on the LX causes a lot of tire roar/noise.

The 2012 Fit addresses the noise part, but there's no suspension difference. I found the GE to be far too harsh riding for my liking... its not the firmness that bothered me most, but the lack of dampening ability to isolate the up/down motions, and this was on stock tires with no suspension drop, no high air pressures in tires, etc. The 2012 still has the same suspension as the 2009-2011.

Still - if you're going for a Fit, the noise insulation in the 2012 is a big plus at least. The choppy ride might still get to you though.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 PM
We have an 08' Sport M/T & an just bought a 2012 Sport M/T. The new car is much quieter than the 08. Power difference is low in the rev range, very nice for the hilly terrain we live in. Seats seem to be a bit more comfortable, better support. The position of the throttle seem's to be a bit better, mabey due to the fact that the steering wheel is telescoping and can be pulled back so you can reach it while the seat doesn't have you so cramped that your foot/ankle's at an acute angle.
Have 1000 miles on the new car, rides the freeway well, better than the 08'. There's nothing out there like a Fit.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
I cant comment on the 12, but i do own an '10 currently (almost a year now) and had almost 4 years with an 07 gd, so the differences can be measured mostly the same as anyone with a 12.

between my gd and ge, i had a 09 gti with 40 series sidewalled tires....and the gd rode rougher than it. the ge is more softly sprung than both, but the gti was quiter overall....the ge is noticeably quiter than any gd, though i feel the engine noise was 'harsher'....maybe the 2012 rectifies this with the added sound insulation.

the seats are comfy to me, but i'm only 5'8. the car overall feels more solid than the gd, and it only took a few drives to make this apparent. gas mileage i feel is better too.

as far as tossability is concerned...the shorter wheelbase of the gd make it feel more immediate, and it didnt really roll a lot in corners...but the steering feel of the ge is FAR superior than the gd, and to me, that makes it a better performer. i dont understand why people associate stiffness with better handling prowess, but it is what it is. after mods i'm sure that the ge is just as capable if not MORE so than the gd.....

...you may not see the benefits of a stronger, stiffer chassis in day to day driving, but on the track you can. search insideline.com for a test of an aftermarket modded ge...the results are staggering.

and for what its worth, i think the 2012 looks fantastic. and hey, you get stability control and floor mats standard...i didnt lol.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
I do not have a 2012, but I purchased my 2011 brand new just a few weeks ago. Before I purchased mine, I originally test drove the 2012 that was at the dealership. I do not have any experience driving a GD so I would not have any comparative information. But between the 2011 and 2012, I would couldn't tell much difference. Supposedly there is more sound denting which I guess was not noticeable since I didn't spend enough time in the 2012. Everything else I assume is cosmetic and is completely up to the owner to decide, I like the 09-11 fog lights and grill better... (IMO)

As for the navi, it is definitely not worth the price you are paying. For the additional price tag, you can get a much better aftermarket unit with speakers. But again, if you do not have the cash nor the credit card to purchase an aftermarket unit and must resort to financing the stock unit and REALLY want one bad, then go for it. I purchased mine with navi. While I can say that I enjoy having a navi and it looks cool, it falls short of everything I would like to do (play dvds, enhance my speakers, extra ports for hook up, etc.). The main reason why i decided to bite the bullet was because it was the only MR on the lot. I did not want to wait and I did not want a 2012.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
My wife and i have taken 3 1000mi trips in our 2010 Sport, as well as a dozenish day trips. NO issues. Seats and ride and NVH are surprisingly good. You can "feel the road" tho. And I have two friends who are 6'5ish and fit in the back seat easily.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
here's my take. i use to have a GD 5MT and currently own a GE so i know wat im talking about:

about the same. they are both pretty weak on the expressway, but do fine on surface roads.

about the same fatique. neither are that comfortable mainly because the pedals are so close to the seats.

i dont know about the 12' sound supression but the GD/GE is about equal.

the GE8 (2nd gen) is a lot bouncier than the GD in stock form. the springs are over spring imho, but on average we got fat americans and more cargo so that's the trade off of not bottoming out on highway dips and bumps i guess.

I believe so, i think someone did it on the GE8. at least i remeber it slowed down when the car came to a stop.

no idea. i recommend tinting the rear side and hatch glass and skip the cargo cover for sure.

no. you can get an aftermarket doubledin stereo with nav & BT for 700-800. and i read you can even use the factory nav doubledin bezel for a nice factory finish.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Exclamation Fit Evaluation

Some questions:
Answer - The Fit is comparable to other cars in this class which is stating it has adequate power only. The power plant is fairly noisy. The does not have much power with the AC on, this is especially apparent on steep interstate on ramps. The AC can not handle hot weather, therefore I would not purchase a Fit if I lived in the SW or South.

Answer - Fair only, since the bottom cushion could be a little longer for leg support.

Answer - Noisy with crude carpet and very little insulation.

Answer - Drives and handles very well with mediocre tires. Bottom-line: nice handling car.

Answer - There is a way by retrofitting components from another Honda product. There is no excuse for the deletion of variable speed wipers and satellite radio in a 18K to 20K compact.

Answer - Normal tinting

Answer - Not worth it.

Bottom-line: The Fit has several shortfalls due to "cheapness", yet it is one of the most configurable and durable compacts out there. I would not buy one for highway driving, but they are great around town.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
The variable intermittent wiper mod only works on MT cars, for some reason the automatic's don't have the proper Q connector pin installed at the fuse box. Afaik no one's tried it on the 2012's yet.
check this thread for more info ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-non-navi.html

Old 09-27-2011, 11:59 AM
GE8 is a great car, sans the a/c. I would never buy one if i lived in the low desert, as if the car is parked outside on a 100+ day, it takes forever to cool off.

But, since I live at 7000', its works out quite well.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:20 AM
Not much new to add here. I've owned my 2012 Base Auto for about ten days now. Purchased it from a dealership about 200 miles from where I live, so I had the chance to test the "two-hour" limit immediately. For me, the driver's seat was very nice and supportive. Road noise was much less than what I was used to in my 2006 Scion xB. Engine also ran at lower revs and was much less cranky than the xB when downshifting. The Fit definitely has much more power than the xB.

From what I can tell, none of the windows are tinted except maybe the rear hatch. It's like sitting in a fish bowl there's so much light that comes in.