2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your head rest pitch forward?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Does your head rest pitch forward?

I have adjusted the seatback on my '09 Sport just how I like it. But, the head rest seems to pitch too far forward now. It is making my head bow a bit. If I try to lean my head back and rest into it, I feel like a bobble-head, bouncing off the flipping thing... I tried lowering it to the lowest position, raising it... still feel like it's forcing my head forward.

I noticed there is a mechanism in the seat that will pitch the head rest forward if the vehicle is in an accident. The head rest is then supposed to go back to it's normal position. The manual says if the head rest does not go back after an accident, see the dealer blah blah blah...

SO... since I bought my car used, I am wondering if the head rest in its current position is "normal" or if it might be stuck forward.

When I test drove it, the previous owner had the seat back set in more of a lounge position and the head rest seemed fine at that time. When I test drove a new one from the dealer, I also did not notice this.

Anyone else noticing this in their cars? Is it part of the Fit design? I figured I could always just get another head rest, but wonder if I need to visit the dealer to have the thing reset...?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
This is a fairly common issue talked about here.

Some people have resorted to bending the headrest support (I don't recommend that). I think reclining the seat a bit is a better idea.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, it’s a problem for many of us. There are some old threads about this, if you look back to ‘09. I resorted to opening the seat from the back (a clip at the bottom and two zippers up the sides) and adding more padding (folded cotton towel) in the upper-back region, so that my head was moved slightly away from the headrest. Be careful, though, as you don’t want to do anything that might lead to injuries in a rear-end collision.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
This is a fairly common issue talked about here.
Ok, I did a quick search and nothing in the post title said "head rest" on the first page..ooops!

Some people have resorted to bending the headrest support (I don't recommend that). I think reclining the seat a bit is a better idea.
I did try to recline the seat more, but it did not fit my back like it does now.

Good idea on the extra padding idea. I'll take a look at that.

Has anyone just used another head rest? It looks like they are made to swap out, and as long as you can match the color of the material.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
I don't recall anyone swapping it for another headrest, but that seems like a better idea than bending the rods.

yeah, the forum search function isn't very good. I usually resort to google and tell it to search fitfreak.net rather than using the forum's search.

this seems to be the definitive thread on the subject:

headrest haters!

I find them comfortable, but they are close to the back of my head. I tend to recline it a bit (not gangsta reclined (is that a valid term?)) and my arms are more straight. But with the telescoping wheel this can be compensated for.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
this seems to be the definitive thread on the subject:

headrest haters!
Thanks, Steve! I went back and read that thread and it was very helpful. I have moved the "head restraint" all the way up, and it is much better. Now my head does not touch it during normal driving, thus not forcing my head forward, and my back is still on the seat back. Don't want to recline the seat any because it is very comfy right where it is.

I'd +rep ya if I knew how for that helpful reference

Old 09-23-2011, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
sit in your fit... reach behind you and grab the headrest... pull forward, does it move?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
sit in your fit... reach behind you and grab the headrest... pull forward, does it move?
Hey Goobers!

Nope! I did that test and it is set in the correct position. That was what I needed to know. A quick Google on "Honda Head Rest Complaints" yielded TONS of info (I guess 09+ CR-Vs, Civics, and other models also have these head restraints)... I'm not the only one to question this. I learned from trial and error and the VAST resources of this great forum how to adjust the seat/head restraints to my comfort. Thanks for the tip!

Now my Fit fits

Old 09-23-2011, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
I know that i can pull mine forward and if i move it just right, I can get it to stay in that position for a while ('till it gets knocked out of it).

But since I don't like that position, I leave it "back."

Last edited by Goobers; 09-23-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:55 PM
I fixed it

Originally Posted by FlipsFit
I have adjusted the seatback on my '09 Sport just how I like it. But, the head rest seems to pitch too far forward now. It is making my head bow a bit. If I try to lean my head back and rest into it, I feel like a bobble-head, bouncing off the flipping thing... I tried lowering it to the lowest position, raising it... still feel like it's forcing my head forward.

I noticed there is a mechanism in the seat that will pitch the head rest forward if the vehicle is in an accident. The head rest is then supposed to go back to it's normal position. The manual says if the head rest does not go back after an accident, see the dealer blah blah blah...

SO... since I bought my car used, I am wondering if the head rest in its current position is "normal" or if it might be stuck forward.

When I test drove it, the previous owner had the seat back set in more of a lounge position and the head rest seemed fine at that time. When I test drove a new one from the dealer, I also did not notice this.

Anyone else noticing this in their cars? Is it part of the Fit design? I figured I could always just get another head rest, but wonder if I need to visit the dealer to have the thing reset...?
I was able to fix this issue by opening the back of the seat, you will see a black wire frame the attached to a plastic frame in clips, mine was out of the clips, ami adjusted the wire frame to fit properly and heard a click and it was fixed, test the headrest before you put the seat back together, good luck!

Old 03-30-2020, 09:16 AM
I took my headrest off, turned it around so it is now pointing toward the backseat and reinserted it into the holes. Looks stupid and now "points" to the rear of the car but I never have any passengers in the back seats so, no problem. Yeah, I couldn't stand it either. I'm sure it's probably "non-functional" now but I don't care. I can now tip my head back without hitting that dang headrest and I don't have to store the headrest anywhere.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JerryHughes
I took my headrest off, turned it around so it is now pointing toward the backseat and reinserted it into the holes. Looks stupid and now "points" to the rear of the car but I never have any passengers in the back seats so, no problem. Yeah, I couldn't stand it either. I'm sure it's probably "non-functional" now but I don't care. I can now tip my head back without hitting that dang headrest and I don't have to store the headrest anywhere.
You sure you haven't accidentally pulled them forward? They should be parallel with the seat back normally. Plus, if you point them the opposite direction they won't function correctly in the event of a rear end collision.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Red 05
You sure you haven't accidentally pulled them forward? They should be parallel with the seat back normally. Plus, if you point them the opposite direction they won't function correctly in the event of a rear end collision.
Don't know. I just turned it around and stuck it in. And I'm not concerned if it's going to work correctly in a rear end crash. It was either that or store it somewhere else. :-)

Old 04-02-2020, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
im. pretty stoked to see this topic. forgot i i swapped headrests a while back. Another forum person figured it out (maybe not on fitfreak) but i remember it being a lengthy search.

07 Accord Coupe headrests is how it was sold to me on ebay. Havent thought about the things since.

Heres a current ebay listing as of 04/02/2020
and heres some damned pictures

A set goes for 40-60 bucks
*edit*

im im sitting up straight in that last pic at a nearly confident 5'11, the lady definitely appreciates them at 5'9 and so does my mother at 5'7.

Last edited by Pyts; 04-02-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb solution for headrest that forces your head forward

you might want to check this out, worked for me
giraffecushion . com