2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Question for Crystal Black Pearl Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Question for Crystal Black Pearl Owners...

Hey FitFreak's. I have a 2011 Black Honda Fit and it really is the best car I have ever owned. But I have a question for all of the Crystal Black Pearl Owners. Do any of you ever wish you would have chosen a different color instead? I really wish I would have went with white instead because of how difficult it is keeping black looking clean. I had a black car before but it wasn't a daily driver. The Honda Fit is being driven daily now, and buy the time I get to the store or somewhere it's dirty.
Would it be ludicrous of me to get it painted after a few years to white or would I be just wasting time, and money. I do plan on keeping this car for it's whole life time.

A black car is damn near a full time job that's for sure!

Last edited by Cicatrix; 09-27-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cicatrix
Do any of you ever wish you would have chosen a different color instead?
No. CBP was my first choice by far. Taf White, and Blackberry Pearl were my other choices. I sometimes think about the other colors, then I look at my car, and am glad I got what I wanted. Don't get me wrong, the white, blackberry, milano red, blue, gray, charcoal (whatever the name is) are all real nice colors, I wouldn't mind having any of em.
Regardless dirt shows on black or white cars, so getting a white Fit wouldn't have solved your problem (maybe make it worse). Gray is the color to go for if you want it to look clean most of the time.

Would it be ludicrous of me to get it painted after a few years to white or would I be just wasting time, and money. I do plan on keeping this car for it's whole life time.
No, it's your car, you do with it as you please, as long as your happy with it who cares? I plan on getting my whole car repainted at about the 6-8 yr mark (same color). In hindsight I should have had a bodyshop add several coats of clear to help protect the paint as soon as I bought the car since I plan on keeping this car for a really long time.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Hey thanks very much for your insight on the subject! I really appreciate it. That is a great idea of getting extra clear right off the bat. I wish I would have thought of that. So you say white would be just as bad, hmm. If that's the case I might as well stick with black. I enjoy washing and detailing my car every week and all, but I really need to find my California Duster so I can use it between washes. I previously never liked to touch my paint unless I was washing it but I am going to start using the Cal Duster if it's not to dirty. I have a while to think about it that's for sure. I really do like the Taffy White though. One thing I noticed when comparing the Fit's paint to my sisters Pilot paint though is that the paint on the Fit seems thinner.

Thanks again.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:52 PM
White is just as hard as black to keep clean, but I love my black Fit. I do take it to the car wash every other week but I only get the cheapest one 2/3 of the time. $3 to keep my Fit shiny is well worth it (a full wash is $12)

Old 09-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the advice Perro_Loco. I'm glad you like your black Honda Fit too. I think I just need to calm down, take a step back, and appreciate the black beauty a bit. lol.

Don't get me wrong guys, I really do love my black little fella a whole bunch. I really don't know how it started with the whole white thing. I guess I started seeing a few and they looked really nice. I always thought that white would be easier to clean and I guess they are not. Also my Dad just bought a white vehicle, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Thanks again Fit folk!

Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 PM
I feel similarly, Cicatrix. A CBP Fit is much more of a common sight than a clean white one around here. The only thing that sets me apart are the eyelids, in which case I am thankful to have a black car because it was easy to match the paint. Swirl removing, polishing and waxing will become your friends throughout the life of your car.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
black was not my first choice either, but it was one of those "since it's a good deal" type of things. I agree, it's harder to keep clean than any color i've ever owned

Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 AM
I have no problem keep my CBP Fit looking clean. The trick is to give it a good wash, get they clay bar out and clay the car to pick up bonded surface contaminants, then a good quality wax like Meguiars NXT Tech Wax. After that, give it a wash once a week either my hand (preferable) or by a touch free car wash.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:18 AM
I gave up trying to keep mine clean. It rained so much this summer, that it would only be clean for a few days at a time.

The best thing you can do is put a good coat of wax on it, and then keep up with some form of spray detailer after every wash.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by concorde
i had a cbp '09 ge sport but traded for a '10 sport last year... i realized after getting the black fit that it really didn't show the lines as well, especially the front fascia area like the lighter colours do.

so i went with the taffeta white the second time around. lighter colours, to me, make the car look "larger". but that's just my opinion.
I hope you don't mind me asking this, but did you take a big hit by trading in the 09 for an 10? The reason I ask is because I have possibly considered this as an option.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Mine has really noticable scratches from daily wear, gets dirty fast. Sometimes I wish I would have gotten white instead but it wouldn't have really been "me", so I deal with it.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
I enjoy washing and detailing my car every week and all.......
So it shouldn't be a problem keeping the car relatively clean. As mentioned, wash it, claybar it & then wax it. With weekly cleanings/detail spray it will stay clean longer. I'd even recommend putting some sealer (ie. Meguiars sealant) before waxing, I've tried it and it helps keep the car shinier for longer.

One thing I noticed when comparing the Fit's paint to my sisters Pilot paint though is that the paint on the Fit seems thinner.

Thanks again.
Supposedly the Fit has less coats of paint/clear coat from the factory to cut costs, that's what gave me the idea to add more clear coats for protection. I never did it, as I just thought of it recently and after having owned the car for almost 3 yrs it makes no sense to do it now with all the minor rock chips on the front hood. But since I will be keeping the car till it dies I will probably get it repainted a yr or 2 after I get the sunroof, and finish my mods list.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:53 PM
oooeh, a sun roof! Now that is a awesome mod right there. That will be very cool.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:24 PM
A pain the rear end.....YES. But it sure looks good:

Old 09-28-2011, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Beautiful car Flealami.

The moon roof has been on my list of mods since day 1, I thought I'd be getting it installed at about the 3 yr mark, but it's gonna have to wait a yr or two.

Check these threads below for other GE8's that did the sunroof.

09 OR Fit Sport with Panoramic Sunroof installed

I have a 2009 Fit Sport manual/navi on the way

Tjin Edition Honda Fit GE / Version 2.0

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-addition.html

and here's a vid showing the Webasto twin sunroof ---> 2009 Honda Fit with Webasto TVS 935 Sunroof - YouTube

Last edited by FitStir; 09-28-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added link
Old 09-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks.

It's my kid's car.
We need to visit the auto body shop, somebody either keyed it or walked by it carrying something like a beach chair and scratched the hell out of it while parked at the beach parking lot.

Who needs the $800-$900 that it will cost, right???

Flea

Old 09-29-2011, 11:31 AM
whoa FitStir, those are some nice moonroof mods. Oh my gosh! Pimp ride much? lol. Those are soooo slick.

Very sweet ride your kid has there FLEALAMI! Hopefully you get the scratches fixed soon. One thing about where I live is the damn dust though. I'm in Phoenix, AZ and it is just really bad for black vehicles. I was living back east for about six months and the dust out there was practically non existent to what it's like here in Phoenix, but out there it's more of a dark mud so I can see how white vehicles would get just as dirty in the eastern states.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by FLEALAMI
We need to visit the auto body shop, somebody either keyed it or walked by it carrying something like a beach chair and scratched the hell out of it while parked at the beach parking lot.
It sucks to see people's jealousy manifest itself in such a way. Keying someone's car has to be the weakest thing you can do, hopefully it wasn't done maliciously.

On the other hand, if it was beach chairs maybe the body place can wet sand and buff the scratches out. It's worked miracles on my CF hoods in the past.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
The reality of owning a black vehicle is the reality of owning a black vehicle.

You get what you get.

I think clean, well maintained, black is the best looking color choice. It is also the hardest to keep looking that way.

I think the key to owning black is maintenance. Keeping it waxed, or at least a quick waxed inbetween periodic full treatments make's maintenance easier.

If you let a black vehicle "go"...it can get bad quickly.

I don't know if I'd choose black again, next time, if there is one, I might go with a more visually forgiving choice.

But I can't complain. I've owned black vehicles before, and you take the good with the bad. When my Fit is clean? I like it better than any other color choice.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by FitStir
No. CBP was my first choice by far. Taf White, and Blackberry Pearl were my other choices. I sometimes think about the other colors, then I look at my car, and am glad I got what I wanted. Don't get me wrong, the white, blackberry, milano red, blue, gray, charcoal (whatever the name is) are all real nice colors, I wouldn't mind having any of em.
Regardless dirt shows on black or white cars, so getting a white Fit wouldn't have solved your problem (maybe make it worse). Gray is the color to go for if you want it to look clean most of the time.

No, it's your car, you do with it as you please, as long as your happy with it who cares? I plan on getting my whole car repainted at about the 6-8 yr mark (same color). In hindsight I should have had a bodyshop add several coats of clear to help protect the paint as soon as I bought the car since I plan on keeping this car for a really long time.

FitStir, I just came across this today over at AutoGeek's. It's called Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 It's basically like adding a layer of really hard clear to your existing clear. I'm probably going to pick some up. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Quick Reply: Question for Crystal Black Pearl Owners...