2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

illuminated sill plates

Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Smile illuminated sill plates

Hey...i just got my honda jazz/fit 2009 model...nd i ordered non-oem illuminated sill plates for jazz...when i received them i saw small connecters on each of them...i went to many tutorials and they said u need them to connect it to your wiring harness....my question is that ---Is wiring harness already there in my car or do i have to buy and install it to connect them????

Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
The non-OEM illuminated sills don't come with a wiring harness, so you have to tap into your existing wiring. You probably want them on when the door is open so you have to find those wires to tap there should be several locations where you can tap (by the fuse box, dome light, by the doors, hatch area, etc.) I'm not sure of the wire colors except for the dome light ones, I'm sure some one else would know the others.

The JDM OEM illuminated sills should come with a wiring harness, but not sure if they sell it seperately, and if they do it would surely cost $$... Your cheapest bet is just tapping in to the existing wiring. Post pics, I'm thinking about doing this too.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:13 AM
yes i will post some pics soon....so u mean to say that i should first connect all the sill plates together making them into one wire and then connecting to dome light? or is it any possible way to tap into existing harness.....any tutorial on net??

Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
You will want to connect to the dome light so they come on when door is open.

Go here and connect them the same as doing foot well lights.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-big-pics.html

Old 10-04-2011, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
^^^
Exactly.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:45 AM
one last thing there won't be any problem in connecting all sill plates...as they all will be connected in parallel......???? and why do we need to cut the trim with a blade..?? like in the tutorial on youtube i saw

Old 10-04-2011, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sahilchaddha
one last thing there won't be any problem in connecting all sill plates...as they all will be connected in parallel......???? and why do we need to cut the trim with a blade..?? like in the tutorial on youtube i saw
they're led illuminated i'm assuming. they draw such little power that your car won't even know they're there. go ahead and hook them all up together then wire them like that link above. i did some lights on my car that way, they work perfect, have been for about a year now.

about the youtube tutorial, we have no idea what tutorial you watched, if you want help w that, post a link, but i'm assuming you're talking about the trim that runs along the door. you may have to cut it since there are non-oem. the oem ones just stick in place w some 3m, no cutting required.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
All the Chinese non-OEM's illuminated door sills I've seen for the GE's they all have sticky tape like the OEM's. You shouldn't have to cut anything.... but what trim are you talking about OP? Post links of the tutorials/instructions.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanx a lot guys for your help...really appreciated.....Accord 2008-2010 illuminated Scuff Plates .wmv - YouTube in this video the guy cuts the trim....why is it so?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
I've watched that vid several times, and the only reason I can think of him cutting the weatherproofing trim is to route the wires through there? It doesn't show that part, but then again I can't use audio at this computer. I'll watch again later. Regardless though, I cant imagine why one couldn't just route the wire a different way. Also keep in mind that that appears to be an OEM Honda accessory with the harness. Maybe that's the Honda install instructions?

Unless I have to, I don't think I'd cut that trim.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
I've watched that vid several times, and the only reason I can think of him cutting the weatherproofing trim is to route the wires through there? It doesn't show that part, but then again I can't use audio at this computer. I'll watch again later. Regardless though, I cant imagine why one couldn't just route the wire a different way. Also keep in mind that that appears to be an OEM Honda accessory with the harness. Maybe that's the Honda install instructions?

Unless I have to, I don't think I'd cut that trim.
The sill wires come up over the metal part of sill and under the rubber seal. There are metal staple looking bits they pull out of the seal. They remove those so the sill wires will not rub.

This is an Accord video put suspect the inside of rubber the same on the Fit.