2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Out Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Red Out Tail Lights

I'm going to be ordering and installing the red tail light film from lamin-x which will turn the tail lights 100% red almost like the last gem accord sedans.
I personally think it looks a million percent cleaner.

Just curious if any other members have done this...

Any way when I'm done next week I'll post pics.

(yes, the reverse lights will be red as well)

Old 10-10-2011, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Not yet, but it's on my list.
Decided to also go with the tint, as opposed to spray painting. I am probably going to leave the reverse, and signal lights out though.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm going to call lamin x and see if reverse is cut out but I doubt it and I don't trust myself enough with a razor

Old 10-10-2011, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
I think they come in 12" x 24" sheets. I'm planning on using the factory straight cut edge lining it up just where the reverse & signal lights begin/end, and trimming the outer sides (if that makes sense).

You could also get the new JDM tails which are mostly red (with the exception of the reverse/turn signal lights).

Old 10-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by FitStir
I think they come in 12" x 24" sheets. I'm planning on using the factory straight cut edge lining it up just where the reverse & signal lights begin/end, and trimming the outer sides (if that makes sense).

You could also get the new JDM tails which are mostly red (with the exception of the reverse/turn signal lights).

I thought about that but that is a WAY more expensive way of doing it. Lol

Old 10-10-2011, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member

wow, i've not seen these ones before, those look pretty good. i've got these ones...

picture from aj-r site.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by jnesselroad
wow, i've not seen these ones before, those look pretty good. i've got these ones...

picture from aj-r site.
Just curious what you payed for those bad boys...

Old 10-10-2011, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
There used to be an active thread on here for people in the homeland area (Japan/Thailand/philippines) that wanted to trade for USDM tails. So I connected w a guy and we traded straight up, just paid our own shipping. Worked out really well for both of us. He even hooked me up with the sockets for the turn signals.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Oh....that's sweet. I'll have to look for that thread!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jnesselroad

picture from aj-r site.
The taillights I posted I believe are the 2012 base non-led's, they replaced the one's you posted (2009-11 base non-led). The above one's (the one's you posted from AJR) were my favorite's, I still love the look of them. A lot of ff members got great deals on that exchange program. One should still be able to get them imported from Japan, or other markets, but sure to cost $$$. I think there was even talk that those are also available from Mexico, so you might be able to find an OEM source closer to the US.
btw here's the link to the exchange thread ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...light-oem.html

These below are the one's I've been wanting since I first saw the Noblesse GE8's.

some threads ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...hts-these.html ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ge8-tails.html

even come in white https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...lesse-ge8.html

The Noblesse tails (benz style), appear to be JDM LED tails, with red tint & chrome & body color vinyl tape used to modify them like the Benz tails.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
even come in white https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...lesse-ge8.html

The Noblesse tails (benz style), appear to be JDM LED tails, with red tint & chrome & body color vinyl tape used to modify them like the Benz tails.
Those look great! Wow.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
axis styling > red out oem > everything else

Old 10-10-2011, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
dont buy lamin-x red it will turn out pink (been there done that) find a sign and banner maker in you'r town and either buy the stuff from them or find thier supplier (supplier usually sells to the public also)
you are looking for Oracal 8300 TRANSPARENT CAL #031 RED -it is crystal clear red vinyl, it's pretty ears to work with but if you don't trust yourself then you might wanna se if they will install it of a locak tint shop might (it will need o be stretched and trimmed with a blade)

FittedOnEm's looks hella good

here are mine (covered the turn at first but trimmed it later and got red turn bulbs instead)

here is my GD with them all red - it was cool but ut sucked at night backing up cuz you couldn't see sh!t
this was lamin-x (seemed ok on the GD because the chrome housing was deeper the GE it's shallow so it tends to look pink)

Last edited by vtecfit1; 10-10-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
i should probably give details on my setup lol.
i used the red vinyl from rvinyl off of ebay. it looks great in all lights except direct light; it tends to be a little obvious weird in direct light. what i did was apply the vinyl; then i cut it and had this:

(^ also shows how it looks in direct light)

i later added a strip to cover the section between the hatch and the reverse light

you have to be really steady cutting it. it'll look like crap if you mess up cuz of how the lines in the tail light are.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
That looks good!

Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
Did you make the left "exhaust" a rear fog? That's awesome!!

Old 10-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Maybe I will call around today and get a cost on having a local tint guy do it...cutting out the reverse light too...

Old 10-11-2011, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
J's racing "Stellar V LED"

from ThEvil0nE's thread ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...e-files-7.html

vid ---> J's Racing Stellar V LED & LED TRANS Emblem (Junack) - Honda FIT GE8 - YouTube

Fixed that for you
Originally Posted by FittedOnEm
j's racing > red out oem > everything else > axis styling

I liked the Axis tails for a day until I noticed that the cab's here have very very similiar tails, too similiar for me.... and that killed it for me.

Ford Escape tail

NYC cab tail

Axis tails

Originally Posted by FittedOnEm
Nice job, looks clean, and better than the Axis (imo) since the "clear box" is smaller. Especially like how you left the reverse & signal clear. I see what you mean about the sunlight color difference, BMW owners were having the same problem with the tint & vinyl. From what I read on their forums, some decided to use Testor's spray enamel (Candy apple red, I believe), and that was the closest match to the stock tails (for them). I was thinking about going that route, but then tint would be easier to install. Not sure which route I will go with eventually.

Now, I'm thinking I might try it with the Testor's first, then if it doesn't look good go with the tints/vinyl.

Nice job @vtecfit1 w/the tails, and also the Mugen rear bumper fog mod.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Nice job, looks clean, and better than the Axis (imo) since the "clear box" is smaller. Especially like how you left the reverse & signal clear. I see what you mean about the sunlight color difference, BMW owners were having the same problem with the tint & vinyl. From what I read on their forums, some decided to use Testor's spray enamel (Candy apple red, I believe), and that was the closest match to the stock tails (for them). I was thinking about going that route, but then tint would be easier to install. Not sure which route I will go with eventually.

Now, I'm thinking I might try it with the Testor's first, then if it doesn't look good go with the tints/vinyl.
I like the J's Racing tails but the fact that the color line doesn't line up with the car's body line really bothers me. I think the Axis tails are beautiful in red; they look very aggressive but keep the clean simple OEM-ish lines haha.

I was gonna try spraying them; but i'd rather stick to vinyl just in case i change my mind. Good luck though; i'd do vinyl first then try it with the spray.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 AM
OEM GE tail lights all red out

Quick Reply: Red Out Tail Lights