2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New guy: Which is the best performing Fit to buy??

Old 11-06-2011, 06:02 PM
New guy: Which is the best performing Fit to buy??

New guy here with likely repetitive questions but I've been reading for a while & numerous searches haven't given me the answers I'm looking for.

I'm considering purchasing used 2nd Gen Honda Fit, but I'm not sure of all the models nor what the "Sport package" consists of.
I've test driven a few. I've compared a standard Fit to a Sport Fit & I don't see any brake, suspension or engine differences.

Do any 2nd Gen Fit's come with rear disk brakes? How about a 6 speed manual trans? Is there only the 1 engine available? Is the Sport suspension an upgrade over the standard suspension?

Which would be the best performing or "Sportiest" Fit to buy?

We already have a 2006 6speed m/t TSX, plus my 5.0L Mustang but due to a change in commuting length we need a commuter car.
I was considering buying another TSX (used) as I've been a Honda guy forever but still learning about the Honda Fit.

Thanks for any help...Joe

Old 11-06-2011, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit Sport with the M/T is the "Sportiest" of the 2nd generation. The previous GD3 Fit Sport M/T is probably more fun because it weighs a bit less, but having never driven one I can't say for sure.

From a suspension standpoint, the only difference between the Sport and base model is a rear anti-roll bar was added to the Sports. It makes a big difference, believe me. And if you don't go with the M/T and choose the automatic, be aware the base model transmission is MPG oriented, meaning it shifts a bit earlier than the Sport Auto. The Sport auto also comes with shifter paddles standard. Though, I still prefer the manual myself.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Red 05, thanks for the reply & info.

I finally started using google to get more answers. It is dissappointing to discover that the Sport Fit is mainly cosmetic.

A manual trans would be my only choice & it was dissappointing to find out that only a 5 speed m/t is available & that the Fit is short geared for highway cruising.

Also dissappointing to find out that North American Fit's are not available with rear disk brakes.
It was funny to read the guys that say that drum brakes are fine. Have they ever driven a car with good quality large 4 wheel disk brakes?!!

While the Fit is a very good economy car, I was hoping that Honda produced a real "sport" version.

Wouldn't a Honda Fit Si be nice? 4 wheels disks, 17" performance wheels & tires, sport suspension, slightly lower ride height, 6 speed manual trans, leather sport bucket seats.
A larger engine or engine upgrades would be much more difficult for Honda to do.

Anyway, still researching...

Old 11-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by StealthFit
Red 05, thanks for the reply & info.

I finally started using google to get more answers. It is dissappointing to discover that the Sport Fit is mainly cosmetic.

A manual trans would be my only choice & it was dissappointing to find out that only a 5 speed m/t is available & that the Fit is short geared for highway cruising.

Also dissappointing to find out that North American Fit's are not available with rear disk brakes.
It was funny to read the guys that say that drum brakes are fine. Have they ever driven a car with good quality large 4 wheel disk brakes?!!

While the Fit is a very good economy car, I was hoping that Honda produced a real "sport" version.

Wouldn't a Honda Fit Si be nice? 4 wheels disks, 17" performance wheels & tires, sport suspension, slightly lower ride height, 6 speed manual trans, leather sport bucket seats.
A larger engine or engine upgrades would be much more difficult for Honda to do.

Anyway, still researching...
Well yes, I have driven a good quality car w/4 wheel disks. My other car is a 2010 Mazda Miata and with 6000 on the odometer the tires are about half cooked, so I do like to have fun with it. Nothing like goosing the gas coming out of a turn and getting the rear end a little out there. And yes, the Fit doesn't need rear disks, it does just fine with the drums back there. With the M/T its fun to drive, mind you it only has 117 hp.

I do agree that a 6th gear would be nice but since its an around town car for me that really doesn't impact me too much. I love the gas mileage compared to my Mazda 3, I'm getting over 31 just around town compared to 25 before.

If you want all that performance stuff from Honda you'll have to move up to the Civic Si, it just wouldn't make sense for them to make two performance cars priced so close together.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Manual 5 speed all the drive trains are w/ the same engine. With the 5sd man you can wind it up a little more in gear. Although I own a AT 08 sport that I love to drive. . Welcome aboard mate! to the FF show.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Here's the thing...it's a cheap car. Honda has been using rear drums for ever, just like everything else in the price category. They even still use rear drums on the base and LX Accords. Based on what you prefer, just get the Si and call it a day. Or, get a base Fit, and use the savings for your big brake kit and rims.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Drive a Fit before you make a decision so that it can be an educated one. This is the first car I've owned since 1992 with rear drums, but it really is ok. We live in the mountains and use the Fit for waaaay more performance oriented driving than the average person. Your driving ability will be more of a hinderance than the Fit.

If you want maximum performance, opt for a 2008 or prior Fit. For a better ride, go with the 2009 and later.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Honestly given all the stuff you're looking for and even leather seats, your best bet is waiting for the baby Acura coming sometime late 2012 probably as a 2013 model.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies & welcome.

My "Fit Si" comment was me dreaming out loud!
You have to admit that it would a really nice factory car even though the price of it would have to be considerably higher.

I've never liked the 8th Gen Civic or Acura CSX at all. Even the latest Civics are not for me.
I much prefer the 2004-2008 1st Gen Acura TSX & that's why we already have one.

Originally Posted by GAFIT
If you want maximum performance, opt for a 2008 or prior Fit. For a better ride, go with the 2009 and later.
This is interesting, why would the 2008 have better peformance than the 2009 & newer Fits??

In the 1st Gen Acura TSX's, it is common knowledge that the 2006 model year is the ONE to have.
The older ones have less power & features & the newer ones have a different ECM that the aftermarket hasn't cracked yet plus they have the lame TPMS system.
2006 is the best model to get in 1st gen TSX's. It took me over a year of casual shopping to find a 2006 manual trans TSX.

Before I lay down any cash, I am making sure to do some research to purchase the best Fit for my needs.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
I think the point of this forum is to help you transform a Fit Sport into a Fit Si

Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by StealthFit

This is interesting, why would the 2008 have better peformance than the 2009 & newer Fits??
The 2008 is slightly lighter, smaller, and has stiffer suspension. By 2009, Honda was including the American market in it's design for the Fit. Previous versions were designed with the Asian/European market in mind where owners are less concerned with comfort/ammenities and more concerned with driving experience.

We have a 2008 and my parents have a 2011. The 2011 is better for them and the 2008 is better for us. Just depends on what you enjoy.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jayhawker
Here's the thing...it's a cheap car. Honda has been using rear drums for ever, just like everything else in the price category. They even still use rear drums on the base and LX Accords. Based on what you prefer, just get the Si and call it a day. Or, get a base Fit, and use the savings for your big brake kit and rims.
Speaking on the Honda brakes, I am working on a 1988 civic HB and the front discs are the same as the Fit's! Hey if it's a good brake in 88 it's still a good brake in 12.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
Speaking on the Honda brakes, I am working on a 1988 civic HB and the front discs are the same as the Fit's! Hey if it's a good brake in 88 it's still a good brake in 12.
Discs are the same as a 2000 Integra GS-R as well. I bought a set of Discs for my GS-R and ended up trading it before I installed them. going to hang onto the Rotors until I need them. also have the AEM ceramic pads from the Integra that never went on either but unfortunately, they won't fit. Only the Disc is a direct fit.

~SB