2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit Engine RPM @ Highway speeds. Whats safe for the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Will someone tell me in layman's terms what VTEC is?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Do a search for VTEC - Variable valve timing.
Here's a short visual: How VTEC works - YouTube

Old 11-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Old 11-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal

Thanks KC! Most of that article was incomprehensible to me, but it's really interesting about the creep control. That kind of ease my mind about one of my other wuestions, which was about the engine 'pushing' against the brake when, for example, sitting at a stoplight.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:25 AM
UPDATE:

Went into Honda after leaving a message. The SA was very helpful with my issue and understanding and she had the assistant service manager check the tech who drained and refilled the car to spec. Its a taaaad under but its way better now. As I'll be going on a road trip Ill check and monitor the oil myself during the trip and we will restart the oil consumption test after.

The Room mate is also taking it for a quick 600km tomorrow so that should also give me an idea of fuel economy in the cold air and with my tires!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Cipher
5MT yeap.... And yeah I think 4500 rpm will do fine.

Also we're talking dead Canadian highways with little to no people. The car has Nokian WRG2's and PIAA 2500k 100/110w bulbs. She's prepared.

Im also going to be driving with 4 and mayyybe 5 others in two cars so taking turns wont be an issue. I've also driven 6 hours like it was nothing and did a few trips with the parents that were well over 12 hours easy.

So regarding fatigue I think if 3 people take 4-5 hour turns driving it shouldnt be an issue.

Thanks for the input! As long as she's outta VTACK!!111! I should be fine lol.
You are going to load up the Fit with that many people? I would be more worried about handling with an overloaded car, than rpm. She ain't gonna handle well with that load.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wetphoto
You are going to load up the Fit with that many people? I would be more worried about handling with an overloaded car, than rpm. She ain't gonna handle well with that load.
6 people in two cars shouldn't be too bad. I would agree though if the vehicles are going to be loaded up with lots of heavy stuff. Keep the speed down the heavier you go. (Can't remember what the max weight is for the fit but it's in the manual)

~SB

Old 11-20-2011, 03:45 AM
UPDATE:

Im in Van city now. Took 12 hours total of pretty much non stop driving. Roads and weather premitted 120kph bd I average 6.5L/100km fuel economy.

Handeled fine and zero issues. Also my PIAA headlights fkin rock. Well worth the $140 for two bulbs. The highs lit up everything and the lows cut through snow like it wasnt there. Deff reccomend buying a set.

Havent checked the oil to see if it consumed any. Will do tomorrow before leaving Van city or Ill run it till it blows up and get a new engine from Honda.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like a heck of a road trip. Thanks for the update. I can just imagine those PIAA's. I'm sure you could see the squirrels on the trees. Are they your secondary (driving) or primaries? Just curious coz their not legal as primaries (US) here. Then again, neither is 120kph cruises... Have a safe trip!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
So... I see you didn't go 90mph or @4500 rpm for 14 hours. That 120kph speed is definitely more reasonable.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Cipher
UPDATE:

Im in Van city now. Took 12 hours total of pretty much non stop driving. Roads and weather premitted 120kph bd I average 6.5L/100km fuel economy.

Handeled fine and zero issues. Also my PIAA headlights fkin rock. Well worth the $140 for two bulbs. The highs lit up everything and the lows cut through snow like it wasnt there. Deff reccomend buying a set.

Havent checked the oil to see if it consumed any. Will do tomorrow before leaving Van city or Ill run it till it blows up and get a new engine from Honda.
Where did you get the PIAAs? I can't find skins online, only headlights.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by Subie
Sounds like a heck of a road trip. Thanks for the update. I can just imagine those PIAA's. I'm sure you could see the squirrels on the trees. Are they your secondary (driving) or primaries? Just curious coz their not legal as primaries (US) here. Then again, neither is 120kph cruises... Have a safe trip!
Uber late 2 week old im lazy and forgot update!

Yeah the PIAA's arent technically legal here BUT being a duel beam they look white enough with the lows on to not get in trouble! :fingerscrossed:
(I will say the DRL's are a bit green but you cant tell during the day)

As far as the speed limit thing I wasnt doing the super fast speed I wanted lol. Too many animals spotted... Had to take action for a few deer who got too close to the road... and ran over one bunny rabbit....

But averaging 120 on the roads we were on was amazing considering the conditions. If it was summer I could see holding 4500 rpm for a while no problem!

But... On the way home Sunday night there was a 2 hour stretch where 4500-around 4800 and some stints of 5000+ rpm were achieved. Car did awesome hauling some serious ass so I could get home for 3 hours of sleep before work lol.

Car was decent on gas doing those speeds in the mountains. Got about 6.7L per 100 km both ways with 4 people in the car.

Uhh I guess worth mentioning is how low of a "heat score" the Fit has... On the way back during the daylight, and on some great road conditions I was doing about 140 around the twistier parts. A truck with a cop tailgating came around a bend... He pulled out and hit us with the ol Ka band and I hit the brakes a bit too hard and he saw the nose dive... (Stooped me I know..)

He gave us the Ol light flash and carried on his merry way. My friend though we would get pulled over for sure as he's gotten busted doing less in his 240.

Oh and Oil consumption. It ate about 3/4 of a quart over the trip.

I took my car to a different dealer for the recall and let them know of the oil issue. Not only did they do a great job with a quick turn around on the recall but my service adviser did also let me know there may be a connection between the LMS recall and oil consumption.

Fingers crossed again that the issue may be solved...

SO all in all it was a good trip. Averaged some awesome speed and went from Edmonton Alberta to Langley BC in 12 hours including stops for gas.

10pm to 10 am.

Also pleased with the performance of my Nokian WRG2's. Certainly not the best on ice but did awesome and no complaints about snow performance.

Thats all I got for my trip folks. I know my post is a bet.. crazy but its 4 am and I should be going to bed. lol.

Have a pretty bad picture of my fit in Jasper park at about 2 am. I really need a tripod for my camera....