2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fit Engine RPM @ Highway speeds. Whats safe for the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Fit Engine RPM @ Highway speeds. Whats safe for the engine?

Basically what the title reads.

Im going to be doing a road trip with a ton of friends and we will be driving late at night so making good time is defiantly an option.

Now one friend who currently owns one said he drove at a decent speed and the engine was just below vtec but happy. When does vtec even crossover on these GE8's?

I know its somewhere around 4800...

But aside from that would it be okay on the engine to rotate at 4500 rpm for 14 hours? Oil is good and its past its break in.

My only concern is my car already has an oil consumption issue (already dealer noted) so the high rpm for a long time would be of concern to me. I would monitor oil when fueling up on my trip but still a tad worried.

The only time I've driven a car this hard was my 8v TBI 94 VW Golf. I let it rev at 4200 for 6 hours with only a small 10 minute break lol.

Yay for highways and short gearing....

Old 11-07-2011, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Whoa! 4.5k rpm... sustained for 14 hrs??? Cruising speed??? Man, you must be driving on the Salts or something...

Old 11-07-2011, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
OP, is this a 5MT or 5AT? 5MT at 4.5K rpm will put you at about 90mph for 14 hours. The fit's engine probably won't mind at all, especially this time of year. That's going to be a LOUD road trip though.

~SB

Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
It maybe safe for the engine but certainly not safe driving. Speeds of ~90 mph requires constant attention and for 14 hours all I can see is fatigue setting in and that means lack of attention. Fill the car with a bunch of friends and that's even more distractions. All in all a perfect formula for a crash.

Isn't taking the appropriate amount of time and at safe legal speeds worth it when you really think about it?

Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
man 14 hour trips? i do about 10 hour trips at a time. your crazy!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
I cruise along at 95 sometimes for a good 2 hours at a time. The fit never complains and happily puts up about 29 mpg.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 AM
5MT yeap.... And yeah I think 4500 rpm will do fine.

Also we're talking dead Canadian highways with little to no people. The car has Nokian WRG2's and PIAA 2500k 100/110w bulbs. She's prepared.

Im also going to be driving with 4 and mayyybe 5 others in two cars so taking turns wont be an issue. I've also driven 6 hours like it was nothing and did a few trips with the parents that were well over 12 hours easy.

So regarding fatigue I think if 3 people take 4-5 hour turns driving it shouldnt be an issue.

Thanks for the input! As long as she's outta VTACK!!111! I should be fine lol.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:28 PM
So when does vtec kick in on the GE?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by itslex
So when does vtec kick in on the GE?
Don't quote me but I want to say 5200 RPM.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cipher
5MT yeap.... And yeah I think 4500 rpm will do fine.

Also we're talking dead Canadian highways with little to no people.
Man, I want to drive in your neighborhood... Would be a blast (literally)... until a moose jumps out... Ouch!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Just got back from Orange County LA to Bay Area trip this weekend, took 6 hours driving 85 most of the way, RPM around 4K cruising with a couple 100+mph passes for fun. 1 10 minute break for refuling.

Motor is designed for the revs, wouldn't worry about that. I would definitely keep a close eye on your oil though, check it when refueling i'd think you'd be fine.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Cipher - Based on other posters here, there's also a rev-limiter. So there's no over-rev issues.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Cipher Aside from it being a crazy objective, what's the nature of the oil consumption issue?
I would NOT recommend pushing any engine to that limit with a known problem.

To think you can and ask for advice as to where the 'upper' limit might be tells me you have little concern for the safety/well being of yourself, others or your new Fit but total regard to peer pressure.

Could you do it - sure, but being a 'tad worried' shows a touch of common sense. Follow your gut.

K_C_

Old 11-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Cipher Aside from it being a crazy objective, what's the nature of the oil consumption issue?
I would NOT recommend pushing any engine to that limit with a known problem.

To think you can and ask for advice as to where the 'upper' limit might be tells me you have little concern for the safety/well being of yourself, others or your new Fit but total regard to peer pressure.

Could you do it - sure, but being a 'tad worried' shows a touch of common sense. Follow your gut.

K_C_
Im more worried as its my first new car and I have no previous experience with Honda engines.

Rev my old VW 1.8 8v at 5000 rpm allll day wouldnt bother me a touch in any gear. As far as the speed doesnt equal safe I HIGHLY argue that. If travelling at 90 mph wasnt safe then how do you explain the autobahn? Dont tell me that only "engineered" cars are driving at high speed on it as I've had a few friends go to Germany and say they see large trucks moving at 180kph.

I feel highway driving is more then safe for higher speeds with proper tires and equipment. Hence my Nokian WRG2's (Came with the car, I may buy a set of Bridgestones next year after I finish my summer car) and my PIAA 2500k 110w bulbs. If I can see and avoid any obstacles I wont have an issue. Speed doesnt kill, careless driving does.

Speed aside Im only a tad worried as I am burning oil on a practically new fit and as discovered last night my dealership is sketchy (Overfilled the oil when it went in for the consumption check up, possibly purposely with the extra .3-.4 quarts). I wasnt sure if it was the car or possibly my driving that was consuming oil.

Oh and Subie, yes there is fuel cut @7000, the car see's that every now and then.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:38 PM
No issue with driving fast - wasn't even hinted at in my response.
Pushing the engine hard w/ a known problem is my point.
Honda has a strong reputation for solid engines that will take the punishment you prescribe.

Regarding the oil... not sure I understand your situation.

To know your 'burning' oil you would see evidence.
Tail pipe is the first place to look, then the dip stick to see level dropping.
Oil loss would show up the same, plus drips or oil streaks on the engine itself.

Discovering that the oil level was above he full mark would indicate someone over filled the crank.
Doubtful the .3-.4qt overfill will do damage, but at sustained high rev it could, possibly, froth the crank.
Bearing damage could result.

Was the over-fill drained to bring the level within the full mark on the dip? Is there any outward sign of oil loss?

You do know that Honda recommends keeping the factory fill oil in the crank until the MM indicates an oil change.
Their engineers are particular on engine break-in and feel this important.

My first oil change didn't come till 9Kmiles, most will see 7-8Kmiles.
---------------------------------------------
Back to the driving fast thing:
If I can see and avoid any obstacles I wont have an issue. Speed doesnt kill, careless driving does.
Think about that big "If".

Old 11-09-2011, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Oh and Subie, yes there is fuel cut @7000, the car see's that every now and then.
Theres another fuel cut at 118-119mph too.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 PM
I should probably find me old thread for a few weeks back and bump it with my current situation.

As far as my car goes its odd.

Bought the car in Sept with 7000 KMS. Drove it for a week and checked the oil after my first fill up. Found the oil to be at MIN mark on the dipstick.

Went to Honda for them to do an oil change. Oil life indicator was at 50% at the time.

This was at 7440 kms.

Then at about 10100 kms I found the oil to be halfway between the MAX AND MIN on the dipstick. No apparent oil burning from the tailpipe.

Scheduled my LMS recall and to begin Honda's oil test.
Dealership didnt do the recall and kept my car all day. Also they wrote it had burned 1L of oil in the 2600kms I drove it. Honda says 1L per 1500kms is acceptable.

So after about 600kms I was cleaning the garage and I decided to check. Found the oil to be too high.

I'll be calling honda regarding their overfilling. As that much extra oil will effect their calculations regarding how much oil Im burning.

Do I care if I push the engine? Not really, as long as its reasonable. I have factory warrenty so I feel fine for now. By the time I runs out Im sure there will be a guide on K20 swaps readily available for the GE8 lol.

And yeah Jamy I've found that fuel cut too.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 PM
My last oil change, done by Honda, showed the oil level slightly over the mark on the dip. I will be bringing it up at my next oil change if I have them do it. Interesting note. Honda does have an acceptable oil consumption number for the Fit, however, a new engine, in my opinion, should not be consuming oil.

Keep us posted on what you find out and how your speedy trip goes.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Defiantly will keep you posted!

As far as the dealer goes I was put through to the service adviser I was dealing with as the other one that answered the phone sounded like she didnt want to deal with me.

Then the SA I was supposed to talk to didn't even answer.

Sooo I left a message calling bullshit. My words exactly.
Told them Im rather displeased and to call me back. If I don't hear anything I'll just go to another dealership in town. :/

Having worked at two dealerships before going into heavy duty I know the whole damn process of a lot of things. Rather displeased that I cant find the same level of mechanics/service at Honda then I did at the places I worked at.

Oh well, Ill post again when I hear back.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
Theres another fuel cut at 118-119mph too.
Cipher, Jamy - no I wouldn't know either cutoff on my Fit... Speed demons...

Having worked at two dealerships before going into heavy duty I know the whole damn process of a lot of things. Rather displeased that I cant find the same level of mechanics/service at Honda then I did at the places I worked at.

Oh well, Ill post again when I hear back.
This is getting interesting...

Quick Reply: Fit Engine RPM @ Highway speeds. Whats safe for the engine?