2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N drop in filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 AM
K&N drop in filter

I have aftermarket air filters on my Supra and NSX, and was wondering what the opinion here is regarding the K&N drop in filter (for my new Fit Sport).

Does it do anything at all (better sound, performance, gas mileage), or is it just a decent idea to buy because you can clean and reuse if for a long time without buying a new paper filter from Honda?

Last edited by MikeNSX; 11-10-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I have one and just got it because I'd rather just clean it than keep buying filters.

I didn't really notice much increase in sound or performance, but I didn't expect any really considering the motor. It seems like there might be a little something at the very top end but that's probably just my mind trying to justify the purchase lol

Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i just use the paper filters.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
I just have reg. filter on my Fit... K&N on my Rex.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
come to think of it, i too have 2 K&N drop-ins in my Z.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
Definitive K&N Fit filter thread.

Personally I can see no reason to use an oiled, non-replaceable filter element. This seems so '50s.

The honda filters last 30k miles (less in dusty i.e. dirt road conditions) and cost about $25.

Too frequent changes are discouraged; this reduces the filters' filtering performance.

A less restrictive filter may increase top-end performance, but will not improve MPG.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Definitive K&N Fit filter thread.

The honda filters last 30k miles (less in dusty i.e. dirt road conditions) and cost about $25.
I was just about to ask how long an OEM air filter lasted, as well as the cost, so thanks for this (and the link).

BTW, Advance Auto Parts is having a 15% off sale through Nov. 12th, so I can pick up the K&N for approx. $39.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
probably just my mind trying to justify the purchase lol
Funny... Save $$ long term...
Originally Posted by kenchan
come to think of it, i too have 2 K&N drop-ins in my Z.
Yeah better ROI I would think... than on the Fit.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:01 PM
I've read bad things about them on the Bob Is The Oil Guy Forums. It is said because they have more airflow they have less filtration and therefore allow more dirt to get by and possibly into your oil. Granted I doubt it's anything THAT harmful to the engine that the oil can't suspend but it makes me think twice about it.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
As has been said before, best bet is to only clean them when truly dirty and then use the oil very sparingly.

Most miles I ever put on one was in the 480,000 mile range. It was on my '89 Taurus SHO (230,000 miles), then in my '92 Mustang LX 5.0 (20,000 miles) then used on my '93 Taurus SHO (236,000 miles when I sold it to a friend). Not sure how many more miles it got after my ownership, but I only cleaned it three times. I still have the re-charge kit, but haven't put enough miles on any of my K&N's since then to need it. Yes, I used to drive a LOT!

Edit: Just remembered it was on my '88 Mustang GT for a few miles before I put the Kenne Bell ram air on it...that poor filter

Last edited by GAFIT; 11-10-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MikeNSX
I have aftermarket air filters on my Supra and NSX, and was wondering what the opinion here is regarding the K&N drop in filter (for my new Fit Sport).

Does it do anything at all (better sound, performance, gas mileage), or is it just a decent idea to buy because you can clean and reuse if for a long time without buying a new paper filter from Honda?
I am not trying to sound sarcastic or anything so please don't take it as such but if you're curious as to what advantage installing a K&N might be, why did you install an after market filter (ASSuming K&N) into your Supra and NSX?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I am not trying to sound sarcastic or anything so please don't take it as such but if you're curious as to what advantage installing a K&N might be, why did you install an after market filter (ASSuming K&N) into your Supra and NSX?
Neither one of my other cars has a K&N drop in filter, which I was asking about.

On both my Supra and NSX, I have an upgraded intake and filter, as well as exhaust system, so I know that helps with the performance and the sound.

I was only asking if the $40 K&N filter was worth the money or not.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MikeNSX
Neither one of my other cars has a K&N drop in filter, which I was asking about.

On both my Supra and NSX, I have an upgraded intake and filter, as well as exhaust system, so I know that helps with the performance and the sound.

I was only asking if the $40 K&N filter was worth the money or not.
I have a K&N in my Harley and found that the real difference was not necessarily in the filter so much as was removing the backing plate. So is it worth it? I guess it is over time as I haven't bought a filter in over 10 years.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
K&N filter or similar raises the volumetric efficiency resulting in more power and mpg. More power gets you to speed faster resulting in less gas being used unless you enjoy the extra power to much.

I have used them in the past but wont use it with the MAF setup. I would look for the new dry high efficiency air filter for that setup like this Air Filters aFe Power. I did buy a cold air Kit with a KN filter for my 08 Fit but never installed it.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:07 AM
That's funny. Somebody uses a product improperly and has problems and his story is "the definitive thread"?

Next time you change your motor oil buy the best/most expensive oil you can. Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc. then overfill your crankcase by two quarts and see what issues arise. Same dealio.

I've been using K&N filters on motorcycles and cars the past 20 years without a single issue. Half of those vehicles were/are fuel injected with a MAF.

I will go green and re-use whenever possible to save our landfills. I'm also a cheap bastage as well and the costs saving for me has been in the hundreds over the years. Go K&N or short lived Fram Air Hog.

_

Old 11-11-2011, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
Bottom line for me was I could only find the factory replacements for around $35+ each and NO ONE in my local area including the dealers had them in stock. Oh and the dealers wanted like $45 for a paper air filter. So I found the K&N on ebay for $22 and said to myself, money saved and probably a better running engine in the long run is a win win for me.

Sorry but there is NOTHING Special about the factory paper filters and I will be damned if I am gonna pay $45 for one from a dealer regardless of how long they last.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by Fit4Spl
Bottom line for me was I could only find the factory replacements for around $35+ each and NO ONE in my local area including the dealers had them in stock. Oh and the dealers wanted like $45 for a paper air filter. So I found the K&N on ebay for $22 and said to myself, money saved and probably a better running engine in the long run is a win win for me.

Sorry but there is NOTHING Special about the factory paper filters and I will be damned if I am gonna pay $45 for one from a dealer regardless of how long they last.
Almost an exact replica of my experience. The first chance the Dealer got to stick it to me was replacing the filters, which happened with my wifes 08 accord as well. When they told me they wanted an exorbitant amount of money to replace the filters (part and labor) I told them I'd pass. Got online that afternoon and had a K&N for each car at my door step the following week. Took me about 5 minutes to pop both of them in and haven't worried about it since.

I do take them out and clean once every 6 months. The recharge kit is nothing and will practically last you for ever.

Well worth the investment in my opinion. It won't add much if anything on the performance side, but it will save you a boat load over time. You can also give yourself a gentle pat on the back for using something that won't end up in the landfill every 30,000 miles as mentioned above.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
um honda filter $17.02 (list is $24.31).

It seems the majority of K&N users don't oil theirs to avoid problems fouling the MAF sensor (based on the thread I linked before). It seems this would degrade its filtering capability.

You might change the filter once every 2 years. I suppose the payback after 6 years is well worth it.

edit: going green by saving a few ounces of paper???? Rationalization is a wonderful thing.

Last edited by Steve244; 11-11-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
K&N filter or similar raises the volumetric efficiency resulting in more power and mpg. More power gets you to speed faster resulting in less gas being used unless you enjoy the extra power to much.
No it doesn't. More power perhaps (dubious claim, even for aftermarket CAI) but the net result of this would be lower mpg. Most users would see no difference unless they spend a lot of time at WOT (in which case MPG is the least of their concerns).

Last edited by Steve244; 11-11-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
No it doesn't. More power perhaps (dubious claim, even for aftermarket CAI) but the net result of this would be lower mpg. Most users would see no difference unless they spend a lot of time at WOT (in which case MPG is the least of their concerns).
Anything that allows an engine to make power more easily will increase fuel mileage. A engine is basically an air pump and the easier it is for a motor to bring air in and push air out, the more efficiently it will operate. Notice I kept using the word "ease." Larger camshafts, too large of exhaust, overly ported heads, etc do not increase fuel mileage because they result in the engine having to be revved higher to see the VE gains.

That being said, it is difficult in the real world to see a gain because the engine now has the ability to move more air which requires more fuel. The key to using extra airflow to result in better fuel mileage is to only use the amount of fuel required to accomplish the task at hand.

Last edited by GAFIT; 11-11-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: K&N drop in filter