2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, I can't re-attach my grill

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Help, I can't re-attach my grill

well, I did my first diy today, I installed the plastic wire mesh behind the bottom part of the grill. I removed the top grill to access the area, and now I can't get the bottom two clips of the grill to snap back into place. I've been fighting with it for at least an hour, just can't seem to get those bottom two clips snapped in. Is there a trick or special technique I should know about?
Thanks

Old 12-09-2011, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
I'm trying to picture what you are talking about, if you are talking about the push clips that connect the top cover to the upper grill there are some that are longer than the rest. If its a clip on the bottom of the upper grill then I'm useless cause I was able to reach my arm down in there without removing the upper grill...sorry

Old 12-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Well, after a couple of hours of struggling, I finally got it, although I did end up scraping up the little end corners of the grill near the headlights in the process.
It wasn't those pop out clips, it was the little tabs that snap onto the bumper. There's like 6 of them. The two tabs behind the "H" in the grill were the ones giving me problems. I finally realized I damaged the tabs, which is why they wouldn't lock in place. I kind of trimmed down the damaged plastic tabs with an exacto blade, but still had tremendous difficulty getting those tabs to lock in place. I finally got it to pop in, but I'm not exactly sure how. All I know is my thumbs and my knees are killing me, and this should have been a SIMPLE diy! Maybe I should reconsider installing the armrest console on my own.
On the bright side, I shouldn't have any problem with rocks hitting my condenser. Thanks to all who posted about this diy and the info on the McMaster wire mesh, which was perfect and really cheap.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Well, bleeding and getting tired now. Having the same problem. It seem as though the bumper cover does not stick out enough. Weighing my options here, body shop? New grill?

Jerry G

Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Why did you remove that? All you need is to remove the top plastic cover, not the black grille attached to the bumper. That provides enough access to wiggle your hand down, and with a bit of patience, get the DIY lower in place/zip tied. Might be easier with aluminum gutter guard though, since that plastic stuff is hard to keep in place.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MeTaLoFeArTh
Well, after a couple of hours of struggling, I finally got it, although I did end up scraping up the little end corners of the grill near the headlights in the process.
It wasn't those pop out clips, it was the little tabs that snap onto the bumper. There's like 6 of them. The two tabs behind the "H" in the grill were the ones giving me problems. I finally realized I damaged the tabs, which is why they wouldn't lock in place. I kind of trimmed down the damaged plastic tabs with an exacto blade, but still had tremendous difficulty getting those tabs to lock in place. I finally got it to pop in, but I'm not exactly sure how. All I know is my thumbs and my knees are killing me, and this should have been a SIMPLE diy! Maybe I should reconsider installing the armrest console on my own.
On the bright side, I shouldn't have any problem with rocks hitting my condenser. Thanks to all who posted about this diy and the info on the McMaster wire mesh, which was perfect and really cheap.
There are no clips involved with the center arm rest.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Hey All,

Just got back from the auto body shop, the grill is fixed, yeah !!!!!!!!

The body man pulled the whole bumper cover off in 10 min. then pushed the grill back in and took another 10 min. to put it back on.

JUST A WARNING FOR ANYBODY WITH A 2012, DO NOT TAKE THE UPPER GRILL OFF. YOU HAVE TO PULL THE WHOLE BUMPER COVER OFF TO GET THE GRILL BACK ON CORRECTLY. AND IF YOU WANT TO SCREEN THE LOWER GRILL, JUST PULL THE BUMPER OFF.

Jerry G