2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Installed Mugen Axleback Exhaust Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Installed Mugen Axleback Exhaust Last Night

I know there are other Mugen exhaust related threads, but I wanted to make a few observations on the process.

The OE muffler was easy to remove at the flange. (Should be - the car has only 11 miles on it: just delivered 12/19 - 2012 OBM M/T Sport.) A bit more difficult getting it off the rubber hangers. I used a fat screw driver, (is there a tool for this?) but it was quite a struggle, despite having the car up on ramps - something I highly recommend vs. stands, and NEVER just a jack, floor or otherwise. Maybe it was just my difficulty with the hangers but the car shook quite a bit as I struggled to remove them. You certainly want the car secure throughout the process!

Reversing the procedure was a bit more difficult at the flange since the separate nuts supplied with the Mugen were very hard to thread onto the spring bolts, likely designed that way to insure they stay put, I suppose! I think the torque recommendation was 16 lb/ft, which is probably what it takes. Additionally, before removing the OE muffler I measured the gap between flanges and kept the same for the Mugen. On the OE muffler, the nuts are welded to the flange - much easier to work with.

No problem reinstalling at the rubber hangers. I recommend a drop or two of liquid soap to make them slide on easier - wish I had thought of that when trying to get them off!

Total time: about 1.5 hours. The final fitment was spot on: no adjustment necessary.

I started it up to take it down off the ramps: what a sweet sound - worth the struggle and expense. I hope to post pic's soon, maybe even a quick video with sound to YouTube.

Last edited by JoeB; 12-21-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Nice. It's nice to start something like that with a fresh car - only 11 miles is as fresh as it gets. After a couple winters those bolts tend to get a bit rusty. I've done exhaust installs on various cars, and the easiest way to get those rubber hangers free from the flanges is to use some silicone on them. Oil will degrade rubber, so don't use that. Spray the silicone on there, let it sit for a while, and those flanges are much easier to pull free. It also makes installing the new exhaust way easy, because the hanger is lubed up already. Smooth like butter.

Now you just have to post some pics! Enjoy it. Over time it will start to sound more aggressive, too, as it goes through some heat cycles.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by ShadowMoses
Nice. It's nice to start something like that with a fresh car - only 11 miles is as fresh as it gets. After a couple winters those bolts tend to get a bit rusty. I've done exhaust installs on various cars, and the easiest way to get those rubber hangers free from the flanges is to use some silicone on them. Oil will degrade rubber, so don't use that. Spray the silicone on there, let it sit for a while, and those flanges are much easier to pull free. It also makes installing the new exhaust way easy, because the hanger is lubed up already. Smooth like butter.

Now you just have to post some pics! Enjoy it. Over time it will start to sound more aggressive, too, as it goes through some heat cycles.
Good idea about the silicone - still giving myself a big dope-slap not having thought of something like that when trying to get them OFF!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 AM
i used wd-40 on those rubber hanger... works great.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
difference between oem vs. mugen? performance wise

Old 12-21-2011, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phenoyz
I did it the easy way. Watched my Dodge dealer put the Fit on hoist and 1/2 hr (15 minutes or less to do install and 15 to pay) later I was driving home with my HKS on and the original in the box.

Cost?? $29.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
I did it the easy way. Watched my Dodge dealer put the Fit on hoist and 1/2 hr (15 minutes or less to do install and 15 to pay) later I was driving home with my HKS on and the original in the box.

Cost?? $29.
LOL, that is, indeed, the easiest way.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
I highly doubt theres any performance gains. I'd get it for the sound if it wasn't so expensive, as all Mugen parts are.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr

Cost?? $29.
Aw, come on - where's your sense of adventure, you know, the opportunity to skin your knuckles, drop tools, to let fly a few choice 4-letter words, maybe even poke a whole through your plastic bumper? Just think of what you missed!

Honestly, about half way into trying to figure how to get the muffler off the hangers, and then later when trying to secure the flange bolts, I was seriously thinking I'm to old for this - should've had someone else do it!

But it works, sounds and looks great and, best of all, it didn't fall off on the way to work this morning....

Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Hondafrk
I highly doubt theres any performance gains. I'd get it for the sound if it wasn't so expensive, as all Mugen parts are.
Agreed. A few years ago I had a Nuespeed cat-back system installed on my previous '98 Jetta GLX. Sounded and looked great, no noticible difference in performance, but improved mileage by an extra 2 mpg - like saving a gallon on each fill-up. At $3+ per gallon, while it didn't exactly pay for itself, it did save me a few bucks.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JoeB
Agreed. A few years ago I had a Nuespeed cat-back system installed on my previous '98 Jetta GLX. Sounded and looked great, no noticible difference in performance, but improved mileage by an extra 2 mpg - like saving a gallon on each fill-up. At $3+ per gallon, while it didn't exactly pay for itself, it did save me a few bucks.
so did u get a little increase in mpg with the mugen?

Old 12-23-2011, 09:37 AM
so did u get a little increase in mpg with the mugen?
Can't tell yet: still on my first tank of gas from the dealer - I think I just turned the odo to 50 miles this morning! I'll post again about this in a few months.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by ShadowMoses

As promised, a few pictures:

Old 08-25-2012, 11:32 PM
the exhaust looks stock ...

Old 08-26-2012, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
^I was thinking the same thing, post up a sound clip OP!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by linnboi
the exhaust looks stock ...
that's a good thing.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmmm you indicated that there were threads on the subject but you had some things to add. It is two bolts (always torque to proper specs) two rubber hangers ( lubrication eases friction) oh and ramps are safer than stands( flat ground is safest. Ramps or jackstands be sure to put the car in gear. Thanks for passing on your knowledge of automobile modification !

Old 08-26-2012, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
I think at stock height you may even be able to just creep under there, not too sure though. And to get the rubber hangers off you can also use dish soap and push up on the muffler to relieve the tension on the hangers so the holes expand...'tis what I did.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Wait. Your car looks like a 2012 Sport, but it has hubcaps. What is going on in this world?

Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Might be snow tires

Quick Reply: Installed Mugen Axleback Exhaust Last Night