2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when to replace shocks and what to replace them with

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
when to replace shocks and what to replace them with

currently have 76k on my 09 SSM and while the ride is good, its still getting a bit loose.

Since oem replacements online cost about $212 each (aprox on Bernardi) i'm debating whether to get them and som swift springs

OR
some coilovers since the option above is over $1000. What do you all think?

ALSO

if you think coilovers, which do you recommend, I was between two but welcome input, keep in mind dropping it isnt important to me as much as an improved ride, ability to hold in turns. This is my DD throughout NYC and NJand I tend to fill it up with family often...dont want to rub alot. Brands of coilovers I've been looking at:

KSport

Bilstein

As always, thanks!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Best way to know is
diving/squatting during braking/acceleration
excessive body roll during swerving
and this depends on your feel and your tastes

The old test of bouncing a corner and seeing if it rebounds only once isn't really a good test, even worn out shocks will rebound only once.

Sorry, not sure what to recommend...whether you're looking for something stiffer or different then OEM, and how much stiffer you want is something you should comment on. Stiffer means less forgiveness over small bumps which most people will rate as a worse ride.

I would also comment, if overall you want to improve handling with no change in the ride, first thing to spend money on is tires, after getting the suspension at least back to the OEM design..

Also, how much you want to spend is a factor.

It does look like the cheapest solution that keeps things the same as OEM is to get KYB replacements, about $105ea for fromt, $55ea for rear from what the internet says.

Last edited by raytseng; 12-30-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
I would like an improved ride from stock and firmness is ok so long as it isn't jarring. I understand the tradeoff. I really liked the ride when new but now I have 76k in the city, and she leans a bit more than I like on turns.

Maybe KYB's with swift springs would be the cheap compromise. For under 700 I would get a small drop, improved springs and new shocks...

Not sure if the kyb's would fail early with swifts over them.

Still 700 beats 1200....

Not sure if anyone will comment tonight being NYE and all so let me wish you all a safe and happy new years celebration tonight, and a prosperous and healthy new year.

Until next year...

Old 12-31-2011, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
A high quality oem replacement strut will last longer than the oems, and some shocks are designed for increased spring rate, obviously, which I'm not sure are out for the GE yet. Those would be things like adjustable KYBs, Koni yellows, and bilstein monotubes, and would not wear out prematurely.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 AM
There are more parts on the suspension besides the struts which will create a loose ride on the Fit which are:

Front Suspension

- Sway Bar Bushings

- Bushings on the lower control arm

- Ball Joint

- Front Wheel Bearing

- Outer/Inner Tie Rods

All of these parts are expensive to replace and the cost could easily be used towards a new car. Therefore, I would delay as long as possible before replacing any suspension component and then when it comes time I would replace with cheap aftermarket versions like the ones from RockAuto Auto Parts. When you use aftermarket suspension components, the ride is going to change from the stock ride, however, they would be new parts and extend the safe use life of the car.

If you find yourself needing to change suspension parts, than I would consider selling the car and getting a new one. If you find yourself replacing the struts, than you will eventually find yourself replacing everything else within the next 12 months. You could easily spend a few grand trying to make the car like new again, but the car will never be like new no matter how hard you try. Look at the blue book and autotrader ads to see how much people are buying your used car for.

Let me give you a good example. I bought a 1999 Toyota Solara for 3000. I thought I was getting a deal and would get another 100k out of the car. I spent another 3000 on things like tires, belts, hoses, exhaust, tie rod ends, struts, exhaust, etc. At 201,000 miles the engine developed rod knock and was totaled. Even after I sunk 3000 into it, the car still looked old.

If you really want to go down the road of replacing things, then get the cheapest aftermarket parts like the ones on rockauto.com and get the cheapest mechanic in town. Dont go the dealership route or bother with geniune honda parts unless they are the cheapest parts.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
City driving wears out a car much faster than rural or highway use... What you may want to do is get 2nd hand Swift springs and new aftermarket shocks.. The Swift springs are engineered to work well with the OEM shocks so the would do well with any others also you may even find some shocks from someone that swapped out for coilovers at low mileage.. Most coilovers have less travel than stock or Swift springs so the are also going to be quite a bit stiffer. The linear design of the Swift doesn't increase in rebound rate but a fraction of springs of progressive wound designed springs and have more travel the other aftermarket springs.... I have been using them on my 2007 it and love every thing about them except for the reduced height of the front springs made for the GD-3s like mine... I will be completing the installation by putting the front coilovers on and right now still have the Swifts up front.. The rear springs are getting a little softer after about 750 miles of driving and with the rear set a little lower than with the Swifts has raised the front enough that the lip doesn't drag as often going in and out of driveways and parking lots.. The height of Swifts on GEs is more level and doesn't present the kind of clearance problem it does on GDs.... I've only had one other Honda which was an 82 model Accord that my son took down a telephone pole with.. My ex was hell on brakes but except for that and belt replacements at close to 70,000 miles and a wire that needed to be soldered in place twice on the steering column fore the turn signal... It was a good car but a terrible drag to drive.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
I understand what you are saying Severe, as I had an accord that I bought used, loved dearly but threw 2k at and still had to trade it in for $800 because of oil leaks and head gasket issues.

That why I bought the fit new. I believe in these small Honda's and think that is properly maintained and monitored,m the engine will last a good while.

suspension on the other hand.....mixed driving beats the hell out of it and truthfully this car is tough. It still drives well despite all the crappy roads i subject it to. This is in no small part fromthe amount of care I give the car and the seasonal alignments, wheel rotations, and balancings.

While I paused and was ready to trade her in after some recent problems, I love my fit and look forward to having a paid off car that I maintained from day one. Even if I throw 1k a year at it in parts, it would still be a good deal.

that said I think I will go TC route and keep skimming the boards for some used swift springs. Came across a few but missed them. If anyone is considering getting rid of theirs for their GE8, please PM me....

in the meanwhile I'll keep pricing replacement shocks. I think I'll have the ball joints and tie rods looked over after the winter.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:16 AM
They key word is "winter". In Southern California and Arizona, cars last forever with just routine maintenance. In the North where they salt the roads, it attacks the suspension underneath. In recent years, they have made cars better to resist the corrosion, but still, everything rusts.

I bought the Fit because it has the highest re-sale value and so when it comes "that time" where I feel that repairs might get to be much than I will sell it or trade it in for a new Fit.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
I'm fortunate that I can park my cars out of the weather and not drive much anymore.. Most of my life I drove old beaters I'd walk off and leave wherever they totally petered out.. Whenever I had a gig that would allow me to write off my automobile expenses I drove new Vehicles.... Cars are driven more miles down here but the weather extremes aren't such that roads are salted down but every few years and they are further apart in recent years... The farm to market roads where I am located now are some of the smoothest and best maintained roads I have seen anywhere I have driven outside of the state. The big cities are pretty messed up especially after a bad winter.. We have more ice storms than snow but I am just far enough south to have not seen any of that in over 10 years... My Fit is insured as being used for pleasure driving so I don't pay big premiums and will probably have it until either it or myself is dead and gone... You pretty much need to have a late model or new car when you live out in the boonies and have to rely on the VA for medical care and travel 100 miles or more to and from every few months. Even doing that I only drive an average of 8000 miles a year.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 PM
So....... are there any aftermarket shocks for the GE besides those lame KYB GR2like replacements or that's it?

I wish Tokico would at least release SOMETHING... even if it's Blues.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
so i picked up some Swifts from another member (doyoufit) and have received them today. Cant wait to get them on and am searching the thread for a DIY...

a question for you all that have them though: I know they are used but I notice the springs are not identical to the other in the pair. This is especially the case in the rear where they just sit differently. Will this matter once installed?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
if it isn't perfect, put the bigger ones on the driver's side.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Springs not being perfectly the same size is why a lot of people get coilovers. you can adjust your ride height

Old 01-13-2012, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Santiad
so i picked up some Swifts from another member (doyoufit) and have received them today. Cant wait to get them on and am searching the thread for a DIY...

a question for you all that have them though: I know they are used but I notice the springs are not identical to the other in the pair. This is especially the case in the rear where they just sit differently. Will this matter once installed?
Originally Posted by solbrothers
Springs not being perfectly the same size is why a lot of people get coilovers. you can adjust your ride height
Actually, because they're used, it's pretty much expected. The driver's side will naturally see more weight as they're used, so that side ends up sagging a little more than the other (since there's always a driver putting that weight, and not always a passenger to equal it).

Just mount them like Solbrother said, the taller ones on the driver side. It might initially sit higher, but start to level out not long after. Then after a while longer, the driver's side will end up little lower. Probably by then, the struts/damper will need replacing, so, swap sides. But, there's a possibility that by then, you might need to replace the springs too (they don't last forever, most OE springs are recommended to be replaced at about 100k vs the strut/dampers at 50k, so aftermarkets may or may not be longer).