2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S?

Getting ready for replacement tires and wondering who has these and what they think of them.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
I think these are about the finest tire by the finest manufacturer. No I don't have them on my Fit (I'm running Michelin Energy) but I've had them on other cars. You sacrifice some tread life for performance/stickiness with the Pilots.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
I think these are about the finest tire by the finest manufacturer. No I don't have them on my Fit (I'm running Michelin Energy) but I've had them on other cars. You sacrifice some tread life for performance/stickiness with the Pilots.
I have exalto A/S on another car. They are not super high performance tires (like others in the Pilot sport brand).

Tirerack categorizes them as "High Performance All-Season", which is just 1 step up from Grand Touring A/S but still 3 steps down from max performance summer.

You are not sacrificing treadlife nor gaining a high amount of performance/stickiness. The treadlife rating is 400AA, which is exactly same as the Energy line. As this is the same manufacturer the ratings can be compared.
I suppose compared to super energy saving tires you are getting some stickiness/performance in exchange for fuel savings, but by no means are they true summer tires for a dedicated sports car.

Overall it's a great tire, no complaints; however maybe the continental dws that everyone talks about would also be just as good of a choice if not better at a cheaper price.
(the continental dws is categorized as an Ultra high performance AS)

Last edited by raytseng; 01-03-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Finest tyre Michelin makes? Not even close.

Pilot Sport (Summer and All-Season) are some of the best tyres I've ever driven on.

By a long way.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 PM
I used to run the Exalto A/S tires on my 1992 Toyota Paseo. I went through 1 set and part of a second one before the car got wrecked.

When I bought the first set, they were rated pretty highly by Consumer Reports. I went about 40k miles before I replaced them. I just stuck with the same ones for round two because I was pretty happy with the tires.

Dry traction was very good (as most performance tires are) Wet traction was pretty good as well. Snow traction was only ok. Light snow was fine, but anything over a couple of inches was not that great. It didn't help that my car was light too. You can't expect great winter performance from an all season tire.

I got mine through Costco - They would run these great deals where you could get $60 or $70 off a set of four.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
I had them on the Camry and agree with most of the other posts. Its more of a grand touring tire. Great tread wear, soft ride and quiet with decent performance, particularly in the wet, but not super high performance. I still think that most Michelin tires are overpriced.

I have used Yokohama Avid's on the BMW and now the Fit. They are all-season tires more biased toward performance at a better price.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
We have them on our Mazda5. Great tires and agree with everything already said. Admittedly anything would be better than the trash the 5's stock tires were, but we have 40K on the Exaltos and there's still tread left. I'm only now beginning to detect a slight loss in wet traction. They are expensive, though.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Just tried to order a second set for my 2007 Fit sport 5mt. Michelin discontinued them and Tire Rack only has TWO stock. Anyone know of a place I can buy 2 more? I am gonna miss these tires. Michelin now makes ONE tire for our Fit, a snow and ice tire. Thanks guys!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Wifes Fit runs these tires. She's on the second set. 60,000+mile tires. Perfect fit for her driving style.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Getting a set they come in 205/50/16 based on reviews and treadlife.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...3/tire-details

Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Banned
I need to replace my tires this year, and the tires in this thread are the ones that I will buy. I usually buy tires from Costco, and this brand/modelsize is usually offered. But not on their site today. When I actually decide to buy, I may have to order from Tirerack and find a service place for installation. Will not deal with America's Tire or their twin company. Too much bad service/stupid mistakes with them in the past. Maybe a visit to Costco and an insistant order for Michelins will work. Michelin has earned its place as my all-time (and all-vehicle) favorite brand.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
I need to replace my tires this year, and the tires in this thread are the ones that I will buy. I usually buy tires from Costco, and this brand/modelsize is usually offered. But not on their site today. When I actually decide to buy, I may have to order from Tirerack and find a service place for installation. Will not deal with America's Tire or their twin company. Too much bad service/stupid mistakes with them in the past. Maybe a visit to Costco and an insistant order for Michelins will work. Michelin has earned its place as my all-time (and all-vehicle) favorite brand.

Discount tire direct does not list the 205/50/16 size on their site but they say they can order them. I am going to call tomorrow they have a instant $50 off until 08.20.2013. These were rated the highest in Consumer Reports and above average tread wear an important factor to me.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Discount tire direct does not list the 205/50/16 size on their site but they say they can order them. I am going to call tomorrow they have a instant $50 off until 08.20.2013. These were rated the highest in Consumer Reports and above average tread wear an important factor to me.
America's Tire and Discount Tire Service are the same company. I won't buy anymore from either of those divisions.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
Was your experience with them online or local center?

Old 08-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Was your experience with them online or local center?
Local. What difference would it make? You can buy tires online, but you can't get them installed there. I can order the tires online, but will still have to get them installed at a shop locally. It will not be America's or Discount Tire for me.

Last edited by Triskelion; 08-17-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
Michelin Pilot Exalto Tires - Hard Ride?

I'm getting ready to bite the bullet on purchasing a set of new tires for my 2008 Fit Sport and am leaning toward the Michelin Pilot Exaltos since there's a $75 rebate for another day or so. The guy at the Sears Auto Store said these won't run as smoothly as the stock Dunlops, though. Just how rough a ride are they? Is there that big a difference in the way they ride?

Old 10-31-2013, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cargirl2B
I'm getting ready to bite the bullet on purchasing a set of new tires for my 2008 Fit Sport and am leaning toward the Michelin Pilot Exaltos since there's a $75 rebate for another day or so. The guy at the Sears Auto Store said these won't run as smoothly as the stock Dunlops, though. Just how rough a ride are they? Is there that big a difference in the way they ride?
I have exalto A/S on a different car.
These tires are fine and i'm sure you've seen on tirerack they are top rated in class..
They are a high performance A/S tire, so will not be as cushy as a grand touring class that they might be compared against if that is what is meant by smoothness. The salesmen will say why don't you take a Primacy mxv4 instead that's a nice "smooth" tire.
The shoulders of the tire are more square. The marketting from Michelin calls this "feel every curve" or euro-style, to give more grip when turning; sacrificing some cushiness

But smoothness depends also on the tire size you buy. I do not believe you are buying stock size so changing the size will be as much of a difference maker compared to the tire choice in the size.

One more thing, is this product line/name has been discontinued, so if you wait too long, you will not have this as a choice, despite it's general popularity

Last edited by raytseng; 10-31-2013 at 06:45 PM.