2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Windshield Washer Quit Working!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Help! Windshield Washer Quit Working!

Ok, so in our first dose of winter weather this year, I discovered that my windshield washers quit working in my '10 Fit Sport. At first I thought I was out of fluid, but that wasn't the problem.

Here are what I see as the possible causes, some of which I've been able to check:
  • Out of Fluid - I topped up the fluid to no avail.
  • Blown fuse - the same fuse controls both the front and rear pump motors. The fuse was good (visual inspection).
  • Frozen - I find this hard to believe, as I've never put anything in except the blue antifreeze solution. If they were froze, would I hear them at least trying to work? I don't hear anything.
  • Clogged nozzles/lines - All of them clogged at the same time? Seems unlikely.
  • Failed pump motors - odd that they would both fail at the same time?
  • Wiring - I had the lost motion spring recall work done a few weeks back. Did they have to unplug some wiring harness to complete the recall and forget to plug it back in?

I can't fully check power to the pumps without removing the inner fender, something I may try tomorrow in the daylight...

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Rats chewed through the washer-fluid line on the left side of my engine compartment. Fortunately they did so close to one of the splices, and I was able to cut the bad section out and stretch the line to the connector. I’ve now taken Texas Coyote’s advice and sprayed anything chewable under the hood with Hot Pepper Wax Spray and so far I haven’t had any further trouble. I see that you live in the city--it might be worth taking a look along the length of the line, as the critters seem to enjoy making dinner out of it.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Take it back to the dealer.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:38 AM
With temperatures moderating into the upper 30's, both the front and rear started working again, so it must have been frozen. I'm going to exhaust all of the existing fluid and refill.

Glad I didn't immediately take it to the dealer.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IVTEC
With temperatures moderating into the upper 30's, both the front and rear started working again, so it must have been frozen. I'm going to exhaust all of the existing fluid and refill.

Glad I didn't immediately take it to the dealer.
When you buy windshield wiper antifreeze, don't buy the cheapest stuff, unless you have some experience with it. Although, most of the stuff is okay, lots of it is not truly, or honestly, or properly made to the temperatures they advertise. I've found, through trial and error that some fluids "WILL" freeze. Also, be aware that some makers advertise "year round" protection, but not much below freezing... a big advertising ploy. Read the label carefully.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:00 AM
RainX washer fluid all the time.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Also, make sure you flush out ALL of the current fluid before putting in the "freeze rated" stuff. I found out that even adding -20° fluid into just a few pints of regular fluid will still allow it to freeze.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mhadden
Also, make sure you flush out ALL of the current fluid before putting in the "freeze rated" stuff. I found out that even adding -20° fluid into just a few pints of regular fluid will still allow it to freeze.
Exactly... or better, yet, don't put in anything but good and winter rated stuff.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
except in metro Atlanta you can't get any windshield washer fluid with antifreeze.

I have to get mine from a bootlegger in Bartow County.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
except in metro Atlanta you can't get any windshield washer fluid with antifreeze.

I have to get mine from a bootlegger in Bartow County.
That's crazy. Don't you guys get any below freezing weather? At least a few times a year?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 PM
I have noticed the non winter washer fluid in the stores but I always buy the -20 degree type. It does make me wonder what kind of washer fluid is in the car when sold new. I still have whatever fluid the dealer put in there.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by einstein77
That's crazy. Don't you guys get any below freezing weather? At least a few times a year?
Not much.

Atlanta's an EPA "non-attainment" area. To improve the quality of air they outlawed windshield washer antifreeze. The rule went into effect in 1996, the same year I moved here. I didn't realize it until last winter. We left my wife's car parked outside and the WW reservoir was a solid chunk-o.

The regs actually allow 8% solutions (+20F) but no one sells it. Anything below that cannot be sold in metro Atlanta. Here's more.

Actually I'm the bootlegger. Wanna buy some bootleg washer fluid? (kidding, don't hurt me! )

Last edited by Steve244; 01-06-2012 at 08:17 PM.