2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Premium gas or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 PM
what he said^ if you run turbo setup definetly go with at least 93

Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 AM
The only time that I put premium in my Fit is when I'm going into death valley in the summer where the ambient temperature 100+ degrees, and even then I would think 87 is good enough.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
I've been hearing this octane discussion for decades. Better mileage, more power, "treat my car to better gas" blahblahblah. Yhaawn +_+

Old 02-26-2012, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rprpclark
I've been hearing this octane discussion for decades. Better mileage, more power, "treat my car to better gas" blahblahblah. Yhaawn +_+
Yes, This has been discussed a few times before... Thanks for the insightful input.

~SB

Old 02-26-2012, 12:44 PM
"I don't understand it, never had a formal education in the matter and have no real world case data.. but that won't stop me from making conclusive, assertive posts on the internet based on my anecdotes!"
Sometimes I truly hate this place, but its like a trainwreck. I can't stop watching.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JAZZdatFIT
I'm pretty sure there's an open thread on this topic already...but i couldn't find any...so far lol.

anyway titles speaks for itself, I know the car manual recommends 87+ and my dealer says 87 is fine. but i'm wondering whats the difference between getting 87 and 91 premium. i just filled my first tank with premium. hope someone could shed some light on my dilemma.

i've heard from people that using premium MAY increase MPG/MPTank..but they've always used premium all their life.

-JazzdatfiT
Not to take anything away from the contributions made in this thread but, here are a few links that might help! Personally, I bought my Fit so I can use 87 grade fuel. As it happens, I also use 87 in my 04 BMW 325ci and have noticed it runs just fine on 87 vs. BMW recommended use of 93+ premium. I don't think any benefit would justify spending an additional 10 cents plus a gallon.

Regular Versus Premium Gasoline

Regular or Premium? - Feature - Car and Driver

Fact or Fiction?: Premium Gasoline Delivers Premium Benefits to Your Car: Scientific American

"Google is your friend".

Old 02-28-2012, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WhiteSnake
Not to take anything away from the contributions made in this thread but, here are a few links that might help! Personally, I bought my Fit so I can use 87 grade fuel. As it happens, I also use 87 in my 04 BMW 325ci and have noticed it runs just fine on 87 vs. BMW recommended use of 93+ premium. I don't think any benefit would justify spending an additional 10 cents plus a gallon.

Regular Versus Premium Gasoline

Regular or Premium? - Feature - Car and Driver

Fact or Fiction?: Premium Gasoline Delivers Premium Benefits to Your Car: Scientific American

"Google is your friend".
Sorry, no facts allowed here.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Those are most certainly not facts, nor are either definitive or conclusive evidence or anything. The plural of anecdote is not data.

I can see where things boiled down to the lowest common denominator might make you feel smug about your preconceived beliefs though.

Vague generalities such as that in the Scientific American article are a waste of bandwidth.

You also shoot your argument in the foot when you gloss over quotes like this one:
Such high compression ratios—and the premium fuels that go with them—could be turned to efficiency, rather than speed, Green notes, especially if put into the engines of lighter cars like his Honda Civic
And what compression ratio does our L15A have? 10.4:1

Fancy that.

With the FIC-6 on the engine (without the turbo installed) I was able to monitor in real time as the ECU ran more timing and stay in stoich longer on premium under load and accelerating... and stayed dead nuts on stoich with max timing advance of more than 45* at cruise.

On the order of 7* more spark advance under load (27* vs. 20* peak and more aggressive attack rate) as well as 20 full points leaner (13.0:1 vs 11.0:1AFR)

I even have a post on here from when I made a 400 mile trip starting with a healthy mix of C16 in the tank and saw over 44mpg for the trip cruising with a full load in the back @ 70+mph the whole way.

Maybe, just maybe you guys don't have the faintest fucking clue what you are talking about. But that would hardly be a shocker.

You have vague articles with no real control data and attemp to be internet know it alls, I have actual stream data from real world examples in addition to countless hours of lab time on the matter.

So as usual, STFU & GBTW. These discussion always involve the people least qualified to talk about the matter making ridiculous assertions in complete confidence on a subject that have no actual understanding of.

I don't care what you can google over your lunch break, the laws of physics don't care what you have to say.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-28-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
and with the 3rd GD3 Musketeer, once more, the world spins in greased grooves...

Old 02-28-2012, 01:56 PM
And before the next one of you mouth breathing knuckle draggers tries to pull out the "well it was designed for regular" go eat a bullet.

It was designed to run on a range of fuels in the markets in which it is sold, and the ECU available in the US just compensates for fuel grade as POOR as 87, which is the threshold where damage is more likely to occur.

It has to pull timing and run fat to survive that way.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rprpclark
Sorry, no facts allowed here.
I take it that you read the articles in the links posted by WhiteSnake... I'm interested in hearing how you interpreted them in a short synopsis.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters

It was designed to run on a range of fuels in the markets in which it is sold, and the ECU available in the US just compensates for fuel grade as POOR as 87, which is the threshold where damage is more likely to occur.

It has to pull timing and run fat to survive that way.
You and I know when timing is being pulled just by the way a car responds when under load. Some of the guys that were convinced that a Fit wouldn't benefit from higher octane but were open to finding out for themselves by using a scan gauge substantiated that the ECU wasn't pulling back the ignition timing nearly as much when using 92 octane fuel...

Old 02-28-2012, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
And before the next one of you mouth breathing knuckle draggers tries to pull out the "well it was designed for regular" go eat a bullet.
How to win friends and influence people. Good book.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
You and I know when timing is being pulled just by the way a car responds when under load. Some of the guys that were convinced that a Fit wouldn't benefit from higher octane but were open to finding out for themselves by using a scan gauge substantiated that the ECU wasn't pulling back the ignition timing nearly as much when using 92 octane fuel...
You can even hear it and smell it on an uncorked motor... but your right TC you can most certainly feel it. Especially through the low rev range with high load, or through the cam lobe changeover... and then again at peak torque.

I'm not saying everyone has to run 93, or that you will get better mileage no matter what in any and all circumstances, but the fact is EFI motors shine on better fuel. I can and have written entire dissertations on the subject with actual lab and real world evidence for it.

Now for those here who seem so worried that they are willing to fabricate things and use worthless fluff pieces to defend their view points: I'm not sending the Premium Gas Stazi to your house if you choose to use regular, and making shit up is only going to sway other people who already agree with you or don't know any better.

Originally Posted by 2012FitFan

I'm not here to win hearts and minds, just to correct the flood of BS that gets unloaded on this forum.

Of everyone here, so far it seems I am the only person that routinely calibrates engines. I can think of three people, besides Tex and Lyon who have even tuned a Fit, let alone any car/boat/truck/plane (schoat, explosivpotato and leonine come to mind) that are registered on this board.

With all due respect to them, I don't think they have the experience on as many fuels and platforms as I do however.

So what makes the rest of you qualified to comment on fuel grade?

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-28-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
That book has been out for ever. My former wife's father was into the Dale Carnegie seminars way back in the 60's... Gerry Spence has written some books that are even better..

Old 02-28-2012, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
That book has been out for ever. My former wife's father was into the Dale Carnegie seminars way back in the 60's... Gerry Spence has written some books that are even better..
It's a classic and still helpful today!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
It's a classic and still helpful today!
I read it in the mid 1970s along with "Born to Win" by Jones and Jonegward.... Transaction analyses helped me a lot when dealing with Psychiatric patients when I was working in the mental health and in a V.A. program for PTSD where other people had the keys..

Old 02-28-2012, 03:02 PM
My car feels like it has more pickup with 91 (Chevron) than with 87, that's good enough for me. Daily I use 87 but if I was going to go "driving" i'd throw in some 91... why not. It's like an extra dollar.

I have a friend who runs 100 in his Yaris if he's going to go "driving", I can tell the difference.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
So what makes the rest of you qualified to comment on fuel grade?
What makes anyone qualified on any forum to comment on anything? Nothing. It's what forums are about. Plenty of fun, banter and discussions. You definitely have something very important to contribute, but it isn't worth getting bent out of shape when someone posts something you deem as incorrect. I'm only qualified to install seat covers and a cargo tray, but there's a place for me here as well. I may even have an opinion on what octane to use. Ruh roh shaggy. I won't tell you what I run. No bullets for me!

Thanks for the rep DSM!! Back atcha!

Last edited by 2012FitFan; 02-28-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Opinions are one thing, claiming you opinion is fact is another.

Don't care what any individual runs frankly, but spreading falsehoods should not be tolerated.

Quick Reply: Premium gas or no?