2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Premium gas or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
Shell's fuel technology manager (Asia Pacific) Eric Holthusen added that drivers can expect a 2 per cent improvement in economy if they switch from 92 to 95 - if the car owner's manual recommends 95 in the first place.
The lit review stated that in the findings of that particular Shell article the Octane Requirement for the engines was not stated.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
So what that all boils down to is:

Change "most" to "some" and we're close.

Gee is that more quote mining and creative guest license analysis?

"Most" is the operative word we are sticking with. With the qualifier that local conditions.. price for instance.. being what may make those negligible for some.

This is entirely consistent with what I have been telling you the whole time, so I'm not sure why you would trim that down and attempt to make it a gotcha moment.

But way to consistently be a petulant child instead of furthering your understanding of the topic.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
In regards to Shell, it appears that move was made to make a little more moo-la.

The study, published in 2006, noted that using a higher octane fuel can improve fuel economy by up to 4.3 per cent. The study, Shell said, compared 95, 93 and 91-octane fuels, and was done largely with European vehicles.

Shell's fuel technology manager (Asia Pacific) Eric Holthusen added that drivers can expect a 2 per cent improvement in economy if they switch from 92 to 95 - if the car owner's manual recommends 95 in the first place.
Singapore Car Guide: Shell to shut tap on budget fuel
Nice catch.

I require a moment of petulance.

DSM have you got a single published article to back up the smoke you're blowing? When you've got something besides anecdote and doubletalk I'll listen.

Even in this study the results were not astounding. Merely significant.

When put in context it's not even significant.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
As complex as this topic is and as much time in man hours that has been used in argument and searching for links that support one side or the other, there is still only one way to know if you will benefit from using higher octane or not... I know that I got better performance and fuel mileage when using higher octane fuel in my Fit when it was perfectly stock... I doubt that everyone drives the same way that I do or would have the same results I do but there are some people that would....

Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
As complex as this topic is and as much time in man hours that has been used in argument and searching for links that support one side or the other, there is still only one way to know if you will benefit from using higher octane or not... I know that I got better performance and fuel mileage when using higher octane fuel in my Fit when it was perfectly stock... I doubt that everyone drives the same way that I do or would have the same results I do but there are some people that would....
*ding* *ding* *ding* *ding*

We have a winner!!!

Seriously folks... I know plenty of you swear by it... plenty swear against it. And still even a few that just don't know/care.

I PERCEIVE a benefit for myself (in multiple vehicles), good enough for me.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Nice catch.

I require a moment of petulance.

DSM have you got a single published article to back up the smoke you're blowing? When you've got something besides anecdote and doubletalk I'll listen.

Even in this study the results were not astounding. Merely significant.

When put in context it's not even significant.
Except for the fact that, as pointed out earlier, the findings in that shell article did not have any octane "ratings" included for the engines in the study. But apparently you didn't read it as usual and instead saw something you liked and ran with it.

Your slipping again steve, is premium merely about the money and there is no difference again all of the sudden? 4% isn't significant now? Boy you go through some mental gymnastics all the while never having bothered to get any hands on experience with the stuff.

Also, you don't seem to know what an anecdote is if you think what I have shared with you are anecdotes. Being able to give you actual data on multiple platforms, including the Fit its self, is not anecdotal.

I'm not posting for your benefit as I mentioned earlier, so I could care less if you are listening.

But I will continue to eviscerate your nonsense

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-01-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Talking No more drinks, bar's closed!

Originally Posted by Subie
Only in a lab environment will you get exact/consistent figures... that's why this topic always generates the responses that it has... too many variables/dependencies... "Driver" being the biggest... So to the seasoned ones, it becomes more of a "feeling" the difference... Leave it in the lab and you should get consistent numbers... You and I will never get the same mpg even if we drove the same car on the same roads...

Just my take...
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Originally Posted by Goobers
*ding* *ding* *ding* *ding*

We have a winner!!!

Seriously folks... I know plenty of you swear by it... plenty swear against it. And still even a few that just don't know/care.

I PERCEIVE a benefit for myself (in multiple vehicles), good enough for me.
That about sums it up folks!

Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters

I'm not posting for your benefit as I mentioned earlier, so I could care less if you are listening.
Then put me back on your ignore list. Unless you really do care.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Your slipping again steve, is premium merely about the money and there is no difference again all of the sudden? 4% isn't significant now? Boy you go through some mental gymnastics all the while never having bothered to get any hands on experience with the stuff.
4% was the conclusion of Shell Europe in a press release. In another Shell Asia press release this was negated as these results were obtained by using lower octane than required by the cars' manufacturers. In addition Shell did not specify the type of engines/aspiration the used to obtain the results. These tidbits were uncovered by others (thanks others!).

Pay attention. I'm not the only one posting here; you seem a bit obsessed. Believe me, it takes one to know one.

If you could come up with one small sound-bite echoing your feeling that economy cars will perform better on higher octane than required by the manufacturers it'd be nice. Unexpected and nice.

In the mean time please continue to amuse us with ad hominem attacks (your term) that have little substance.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Why did I ever get a FIT...

Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Ha I feel that way too sometimes. But the GD is a great drivers car, even if it is FWD and I've had the opportunity to meet and work with a lot of really cool folks.

Take the good with the bad I suppose, and for those with weak stomachs.. these probably arent the threads for you.

It very much turns into one of these: