2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dealer 5w-30 turns into yaot (yet another oil thread :-)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goldy Lox
I'm sorry I didn't realize to be respected one needed a higher post count.
There are lots of web bullies on this site, as well as others. And remember, if this site depended on great knowledge, ability, and wisdom, it would be closed down.

Post when you feel like it... Without questioning there would be no advancement.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by einstein77
Without questioning there would be no advancement.
Agreed. Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
There are lots of web bullies on this site
I swore I wouldnt reply, but just to keep thing accurate, you don't get to play the victim card when you are the one who starts the insults. Yes i'm regressing to kindergarten and claiming the he started it first defense.

it's 2way street, give respect to get respect.

Anyhoo, still, can you point out any link even if its from a forum, that agrees with your side? Also still suggest if you are trully interested, and dont just want to win a debate you post on bitog. come back and tell us what they responded with

Last edited by raytseng; 02-25-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by raytseng
I swore I wouldnt reply, but just to keep thing accurate, you don't get to play the victim card when you are the one who starts the insults. Yes i'm regressing to kindergarten and claiming the he started it first defense.

it's 2way street, give respect to get respect.

Anyhoo, still, can you point out any link even if its from a forum, that agrees with your side? Also still suggest if you are trully interested, and dont just want to win a debate you post on bitog. come back and tell us what they responded with
I didn't think asking if anyone had documentation of what they preach is an insult.

The world is full of Sheeple, those who believe anything that is written or relayed by anyone. I am not one of those. If someone can show me that something is factual I may believe it. I say 'may' because for many many years there were many that thought the Earth was flat, and some that didn't buy into this notion were jailed, tortured or killed. While it wasn't a fact, it was 'common knowledge'. I will always check the facts to be sure they make sense.

I don't buy into common knowledge. Show me what you have. So far all I have seen to 'prove' 5W-20 gives us better mileage than 5W-30 is a single 12 year old paper comparing an old technology 5W-30 to the newest and greatest 5W-20. The oils had completely different additive packages! And that study was done on vastly different equipment than any of us are running today.

So my position is if you want to BLINDLY believe anything you read, knock your socks off and welcome to suckerville.

For you , WalMart 5W-20 will give you 2% better mileage than Royal Purple 5W-30.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:48 AM
I didn't think asking if anyone had documentation of what they preach is an insult.

The world is full of Sheeple, those who believe anything that is written or relayed by anyone. I am not one of those. If someone can show me that something is factual I may believe it. I say 'may' because for many many years there were many that thought the Earth was flat, and some that didn't buy into this notion were jailed, tortured or killed. While it wasn't a fact, it was 'common knowledge'. I will always check the facts to be sure they make sense.

I don't buy into common knowledge. Show me what you have. So far all I have seen to 'prove' 5W-20 gives us better mileage than 5W-30 is a single 12 year old paper comparing an old technology 5W-30 to the newest and greatest 5W-20. The oils had completely different additive packages! And that study was done on vastly different equipment than any of us are running today.

So my position is if you want to BLINDLY believe anything you read, knock your socks off and welcome to suckerville.

For you , WalMart 5W-20 will give you 2% better mileage than Royal Purple 5W-30.
Not many know that Columbus had 4 ships! The 4th one is not talked about because it fell off the edge Jim

Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member

Have you posted on BITOG yet?
If you really want answers to your question, you need to post there!

I don't get the attitude that you requiring everyone to serve knowledge to you, while you don't go through some small amount of effort to follow the leads for more answers if you are not satisfied.
I'll state again, my joy here is just to add my 2cents and help, not to win internet debate points. If you just want to win internet debate points, I hereby award 10points to goldylox and gryffindoor.
But if you truly are curious about information, and not just winning, you will followup over there, and comeback with what was the results, and ADD to the knowledge, instead of saying we are all suckers because we have not satisfied you.

Last edited by raytseng; 02-26-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by raytseng
Have you posted on BITOG yet?
If you really want answers to your question, you need to post there!

I don't get the attitude that you requiring everyone to serve knowledge to you, while you don't go through some small amount of effort to follow the leads for more answers if you are not satisfied.
I'll state again, my joy here is just to add my 2cents and help, not to win internet debate points. If you just want to win internet debate points, I hereby award 10points to goldylox and gryffindoor.
But if you truly are curious about information, and not just winning, you will followup over there, and comeback with what was the results, and ADD to the knowledge, instead of saying we are all suckers because we have not satisfied you.
Wow, just wow raytseng.

I asked one question here and it was answered.

I asked "Do you have any proof to back up your wild claim?" and the answer was :

No. No proof at all.

I'm satisfied.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Old 02-26-2012, 12:41 PM
I wish brain melting stupidity was a bannable offense.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Do you have the actual report for this abstract summary you reference? I can't find anything but a summary of an abstract with no reference to the test or the test methods or test oils. I've searched, but can't find any. I can only assume you found it since you referenced it here.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Do you have the actual report for this abstract summary you reference?
No. 567891

Old 02-26-2012, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
No. 567891
So what you're saying is you don't??? So what you are saying is that a member to this site, Goldy Lox, is some kind of a "moron" for not having the facts when, you yourself, have none, by referencing, and linking, a summary that has no definition of oils being tested, no test methods listed, no test procedures listed, no test labs, no indication that this abstract has anything to do with this thread.

Let me ask you.... What was the value of your insulting comment to Goldy Lox? Do you want him to feel bad because he is not as "informed" as you are????

Last edited by einstein77; 02-26-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
I don't understand why there are so many people showing up here that can't form an opinion based on their own personal experiences instead of demanding others do a search for them... I can see why there is a big drop in the amount of people posting here recently.... Putting the trolls on your ignore list is the best way to avoid wasting your time on these people that didn't receive enough attention from their mommy's...

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 02-26-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
So what you're saying is you don't??? So what you are saying is that a member to this site, Goldy Lox, is some kind of a "moron" for not having the facts when, you yourself, have none, by referencing, and linking, a summary that has no definition of oils being tested, no test methods listed, no test procedures listed, no test labs, no indication that this abstract has anything to do with this thread.

Let me ask you.... What was the value of your insulting comment to Goldy Lox? Do you want him to feel bad because he is not as "informed" as you are????
I think you have me confused with someone else. Please direct me to where I've been insulting.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I don't understand why there are so many people showing up here that can't form an opinion based on their own personal experiences instead of demanding others do a search for them... I can see why there is a big drop in the amount of people posting here recently.... Putting the trolls on your ignore list is the best way to avoid wasting your time on these people that didn't receive enough attention from their mommy's...
If this site were dependent on peoples personal experiences, there would be no purpose in having a web site at all.... many people just don't experience the same thing. People have opinions and people have things to say. People comment and learn from everyone else. If people have some knowledge based on testing and proof, or personal experience, it's important to show what they have learned.

If someone has no proof but says there is proof, but fakes it, it is a waste of everyone's time and effort. Don't insult someone for opinions, say there is absolute proof for the insult, and then back off when asked for the proof and the basis for the insult.... that again justs wastes our time. If you have personal experience, great, express it. If you have proof, put up or shut up. Don't insult the person when he asks for the proof you proclaim as absolute.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
You don't think that that comment is insulting?

Why didn't you just say, "Hey moron! This is absolute fact. What part of this article don't you understand, fool. Can't your read?" What gets me also is that the link was a waste, and irrelevant to begin with. If you don't know, then don't answer, or say, it's my opinion.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
You don't think that that comment is insulting?
no.

Why didn't you just say, "Hey moron! This is absolute fact. What part of this article don't you understand, fool. Can't your read?" What gets me also is that the link was a waste, and irrelevant to begin with. If you don't know, then don't answer, or say, it's my opinion.
The link is to the SAE reviewed original research paper by four Honda engineers published in 2011 concluding "reducing oil viscosity is effective for improving engine efficiency." What part of this do you find ambiguous?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
no.

The link is to the SAE reviewed original research paper by four Honda engineers published in 2011 concluding "reducing oil viscosity is effective for improving engine efficiency." What part of this do you find ambiguous?
What part of "The Dealer filled my car with 5w-30!" don't you understand?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
In case you can't tell, I have my puzzled-dog-slanty-head look on now.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Hey, I don't want you guys all in a tizzy about this stuff.
I believe reducing viscosity can improve efficiency in some circumstances. What I don't see is the report that shows 5W-20 compared to 5W-30 where both oils are the same brand and type.

I'll bet you a nickel that report Steve refers to compares 10W or 15W to 5W or 0W oils.

Once an engine is running and hot, the lower number of the viscosity isn't in play any more. Then we have to consider the upper number viscosity rating and those numbers are derived from their flow being measured at 210 degrees F.

I know engines run at 185* to 225* with pistons hundreds of degrees hotter and exhaust gases at up to 1000* plus.

So knowing all this, I just was asking simply if someone says I will get 2% worse mileage using 5W-30, is there some study to back that claim.

Now we don't have the proof, so let's just call this one an opinion and forget about it.

And here's a pretty good explanation about viscosity ratings and how oils are rated if anyone wants to look:
Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms

Quick Reply: Dealer 5w-30 turns into yaot (yet another oil thread :-)