2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Help w/ aftermarket wheel bumping please!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Hubcentric rings are needed if your Feathers have a larger bore than 56.1. My Enkeis were 75mm bore and I needed a thick aluminum ring to smooth out the ride and make the wheels fit as they were intended. Another possibility is your TPMS sensor came loose or a weight fell off.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
So, lowkeymods: did you get the spacers in there yet?

edit: upon review, it really does seem like I'm being a dumbass. I thought better of typing "spacer" instead of "ring" but I thought it described the concept well enough. So, in lieu of being a troll, I will believe that people here really are standing up for the integrity of the info. Pretty ridiculous that I'd have to type this, but every once in a while...
while i can see your rationale for using spacer... it really just boils down to common usage of words.

If you were to go out to a random car forum and ask "what's a spacer?"

More than likely, most of the replies (if not all) will describe the offset spacer.

What's the difference between a gun, rifle, carbine, machine gun, turret and cannons? They're all tubes that use explosive power to fling objects... right?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Ok guys well thanks for the suggestions. It's so great to have a place to get some feedback so quickly. I got it back from the shop today. They said they couldn't find a damn thing...even in the test drive. They put it up on the rack to check the suspension and tire belts. However, they didn't mention taking the wheels off and testing them, probs just a visual inspection.

So here's the possiblities in my mind:

1) I am crazy and elmo the magical elf will appear soon along w/ the vibrations

2) Baltimore roads are bad and even when the look flat they aren't, which I can feel more through a 45 series tire. I'm leaning towards this option, as I recently topped of the tire pressure which could lead to more road vibration...right?

3) One or more of my wheels could be out of spec and can't be seen visually.

Tire pressure is good 45 psi all around (50 max on these tires), all weights are still on, I'm running w/o TPMS, and given the low speed I'm feeling it at I feel pretty comfortable ruling out the trans and hubcentric rings. Although I will be putting the rings on as soon as I get them in the mail.

Last edited by lowkeymods; 03-24-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Knowing what you just said, I think it's just the low-profile tires.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

I'm wondering as well if it could just be the lower profile tires, plus the high psi....

I feel like taking a drive to MD, just to test drive and see exactly what it could be.

Hope you get it all straightened out soon.

Last edited by FitStir; 03-26-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: corrected wording
Old 03-26-2012, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Had a newly made friend at a chain tire shop take off all 4 wheels and run them through a balancing machine (or whatever it's called) to check for wheels being bent/out of spec. He found NOTHING (and charged me nothing ) He also lowered my tire pressure to 32psi all the way around.
Still have a little bump, but not as bad w/ the new psi.

I'm really not sure what else it could be if it's not the rings or me adjusting to low profile tires. Perhaps elmo the magical elf will make an appearance after all, along w/ the bump given my seemingly crazy imagination

Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by lowkeymods
it feels like I'm hitting a small pothole at just about any speed (5-65mph), every few rotations.
since your wheels checked out well... have you checked your tires? looks like a bulge and/or a broken steel belt somewhere...

Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Good thought, but after today it will be 2 different garages looking at the tires. I guess I worded it weird when I said they looked at the wheels today.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

He found NOTHING (and charged me nothing ) He also lowered my tire pressure to 32psi all the way around.
Still have a little bump, but not as bad w/ the new psi.
Glad to hear that.

Perhaps elmo the magical elf will make an appearance after all, along w/ the bump given my seemingly crazy imagination
Elmo the magical elf...