2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2012 Acceleration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Left shoe edge, right shoe edge to blip works for me. Size 11.5 shoes should be more than plenty...

Old 04-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Subie
Left shoe edge, right shoe edge to blip works for me. Size 11.5 shoes should be more than plenty...
Thats what I do to. I Need to get an intake and exhaust though so I can really hear my throttle blips. Gotta get that authentic Formula uuun (Jean Girard) sound

Old 04-15-2012, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krunk13
Thats what I do to. I Need to get an intake and exhaust though so I can really hear my throttle blips. Gotta get that authentic Formula uuun (Jean Girard) sound
That's what the tach is for. Want authentic? Switch cars... Unless it's hard core modded like a few here, it's all make believe anyway...

Old 04-15-2012, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
That's what the tach is for. Want authentic? Switch cars... Unless it's hard core modded like a few here, it's all make believe anyway...
Or just pull the exhaust off and run straight cats. You'll hear your blips then. lmao

Old 04-15-2012, 05:15 PM
I know this car isnt fast. My Prelude SH would walk all over my fit (If i still had it). I just like to be able to hear what my engine is doing. I make a point to never look down at my tach while im making a turn (even if its not a fast one) Ive seen to many people get into accidents and say "oh I just looked down for a second"

Old 04-15-2012, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krunk13
I know this car isnt fast. My Prelude SH would walk all over my fit (If i still had it). I just like to be able to hear what my engine is doing. I make a point to never look down at my tach while im making a turn (even if its not a fast one) Ive seen to many people get into accidents and say "oh I just looked down for a second"
Sounds like more behind-the-wheel-time for you... You don't need to look down... And you should be done with your blip once you hit the turn anyway... Just need to notice your needle jump not look...

Old 04-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Sounds like more behind-the-wheel-time for you... You don't need to look down... And you should be done with your blip once you hit the turn anyway... Just need to notice your needle jump not look...
And what makes an engine easier to notice?
Takeda intake and tanabe touring medalion is all I need

Old 04-15-2012, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member

Damn it... I'm turning into DSM... Wait. That's not a bad thing lol

Old 04-15-2012, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
$$ Chi-ching $$ To each his own...

Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 PM

Old 04-15-2012, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Name:  cheers2-.gif
Views: 1256
Size:  7.8 KB

Old 04-27-2012, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
And the problem was.... Bueller, Bueller, Bueller...

Old 04-27-2012, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ftftftft
Hi... I love my new Fit except that I'm afraid to drive it. Sometimes, although I've learned to be gentle with the acceleration, it still accelerates in an unsafe manner.

Latest incident: yesterday, pulling out of a space in a parking lot where the car had been parked for about a half hour, after having been driven for about an hour (one previous stop.)

When I got out of the space and moved into the lane to exit the parking lot, the car was moving very slowly, so I gave it a *little* more gas. No result. Gave it a little more gas--still no effect.

Then I knew I was in for it and had better hang on tight. Sure enough, in somewhere around 6 more seconds, the engine roared and the car jumped forward. (The time varies, and I'm usually more trying to figure out what's going to happen and how I'll handle it to count seconds.)

This happens in parking lots, when making left turns, and at red lights when the light turns green and I start to go forward.

It happens maybe once per hour of driving. So naturally the people at the place I bought it, when I asked them to see if there was something wrong, and they drove it for 10 minutes, said there was nothing wrong (it just had a very sensitive accelerator that I had to get used to. I've put about 700 miles on it now.)

I'm afraid to drive it because a couple of times it's lurched so hard that I was afraid I'd hit the car in front of me. When it's moving so slowly before the leap, I'm afraid of being hit by a car coming up from behind when a light turns green, because they expect my car to be actually moving at more than walking speed. And I try not to make left turns any more without a green arrow to help me avoid a sideswipe if it decides to go into walking speed at the worst moment.

Is this normal? Do you think it can be fixed? Or am I going to have to trade it in on another brand of small car? Most of the time the car works great and I really like it.

Check your throttle cable for hang up or improper alignment.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Check your throttle cable for hang up or improper alignment.
You really should read the rest of the thread.

The OP admitted the "problem" wasn't the Fit, but something he was doing.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
You really should read the rest of the thread.

The OP admitted the "problem" wasn't the Fit, but something he was doing.

I guess that's the case but even now I don't see the problem being uncontrolled foot movement. That just doesn't compute. More often than not when throttle movement is erratic there's a glitch in the throttle movement.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:33 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Hold the presses, Mahout has solved the problem that has already been solved.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:00 PM
ftftftft, Can you please stop the stupid game and tell us? I have an 80+ year old dad who is having the EXACT problem(s) you originally stated and while you're playing games he may be hurt or hurt someone else!

Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by goner
ftftftft, Can you please stop the stupid game and tell us? I have an 80+ year old dad who is having the EXACT problem(s) you originally stated and while you're playing games he may be hurt or hurt someone else!
I suspect he's long gone never to return. That said, with an older guy, I'd strongly suspect hitting the brake pedal while also hitting the gas, especially if he has some sort of periferal neuropathy/ diabetes/ other neurological issues.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Ftftftftftftftftftftftftftft (or what ever his name is) hasn't been on in a month. I doubt we're going to hear jack from him.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
I suspect he's long gone never to return. That said, with an older guy, I'd strongly suspect hitting the brake pedal while also hitting the gas, especially if he has some sort of periferal neuropathy/ diabetes/ other neurological issues.

We were a fledging company just getting started in automotive 'performance upgrading' for customers and the Audi sudden acceleration 'news' galvanized us.
In short, we ran a number of trials with cars from Honda Civics to full race Vettes and found in every trial the brakes overcame the engine at full torque rpm. Every time. No, it wasn't pretty.

Further trials with several drivers of various ages indicated clearly the driver confused the accelerator with the brake pedal. Every time that 'sudden acceleration' occurred it was when we diverted their attention and surprised them with the need to brake. It was always the driver confusing the location of their feet and pounding the accelerator, not the brake, just as Lt Weber found. (AutoNews 5.14.12)

One thing that was noted but we didn't realize how important at the time was that those elderly with problems with feeling in their feet (neuropathy) almost certainly had difficulty in separating their feet location relative to brake and accelerator pedals.
Yes,we did have cases where manual transmissions demonstrated 'sudden acceleration'.
We had no vehicles with shift interlocks so we cannot attest to shift interlocks being beneficial.

From our trials the result of sudden acceleration was overwhelmingly a case of pedal confusion; no amount of brake override will change that. The media naturally had no interest since it didn't meet their requirement for entertainment instead of news, especially from some 'back-alley bunch of engineers and car nuts". Toyota were reputed to have onboard data recording demonstrating that same conclusion; was that not correct or was it ignored for not being 'news' either?

Its interesting to note that few cases of sudden acceleration have happened since the Audi incidents but once one is reported many more will surface.
Instead of brake overrides, better standardization of pedal placement and type may be far more useful. Thats an SAE effort.
We tried some 'fences', rails, and high bars but nothing we tried really worked. You might try moving the accelator or halving the width, while widening the brake pedal. Placing a 1/4" pad on the brake pedal to engage it first might work too, but none of this is a sure solution. Have you considered hand controlled accel instead of the pedal, leaving only brake pedals at the feet?
Its not an easy task.

Last edited by mahout; 05-16-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Acceleration Problem