2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2012 Acceleration Problem

Old 05-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks mahout, malraux and Jamy! I took the car to Honda. It IS the brake/accelerator pedal override. My dad was resting his left foot (yes, he is a 'two foot' driver) slightly on brake pedal, thus killing the gas pedal. They showed us a video explaining that pressing the accelerator first -up to at least 6mph, then pressing the brake pedal also disables the accelerator. I was easily able to duplicate this at all speeds, even on the freeway. Pressing the brake (with left foot) while still pressing the accelerator completely killed the gas! Once you let off the brake, the gas turns back on -yes to whatever level you currently have it depressed. Depending on this, the car can lurch forward violently. If you experiment with this, BE CAREFUL!!!! Using your left foot for braking can be tricky if you're not used to it!!!! My dad has driven a stick in the past, so I am trying to talk him into going to 'one foot' automatic driving. At least now we know the mechanism of what is happening and don't have to fear that the car has a mind of its own and could kill him at any time. Thanks for all the info!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by goner
Thanks mahout, malraux and Jamy! I took the car to Honda. It IS the brake/accelerator pedal override. My dad was resting his left foot (yes, he is a 'two foot' driver) slightly on brake pedal, thus killing the gas pedal. They showed us a video explaining that pressing the accelerator first -up to at least 6mph, then pressing the brake pedal also disables the accelerator. I was easily able to duplicate this at all speeds, even on the freeway. Pressing the brake (with left foot) while still pressing the accelerator completely killed the gas! Once you let off the brake, the gas turns back on -yes to whatever level you currently have it depressed. Depending on this, the car can lurch forward violently. If you experiment with this, BE CAREFUL!!!! Using your left foot for braking can be tricky if you're not used to it!!!! My dad has driven a stick in the past, so I am trying to talk him into going to 'one foot' automatic driving. At least now we know the mechanism of what is happening and don't have to fear that the car has a mind of its own and could kill him at any time. Thanks for all the info!!!!!!
I did not know that the fit had a brake override. Honda to install brake override systems on all models Looks like either the 2011s or the 2012s were the fits to get it.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Figures. So much for left foot braking during auto x stints.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkane
Figures. So much for left foot braking during auto x stints.
Is your Fit 5MT or 5AT?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM
manual trans.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
this seems to be a case where the fix is as bad as the problem.

It probably cost nothing (software change) but it should have been done in conjunction with a dash warning light. Honda should also have designed a more elegant recovery than have the throttle kick in at whatever level is called for when the brake is released.

I'll bet it's in the owner's manual though. I think this is the least read book in history.

Sucks for brake-torque launches too. Kidding.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Hi guys, Yeah, Honda supposedly added this to the Fit and CRV after the Toyota/Lexus floormat incidents. After you know it's there and why, it's probably a good feature. I can't imagine a 'one foot' automatic or a manual driver would ever know it was there. My dad drove yesterday and (being conscious not to touch the brake pedal) had no problems. Hats off to Fuller Honda (Chula Vista, CA)!!! Jun and his tech were SUPER patient and spent a ton of time explaining the situation, showing the video and test driving; showing how it all works. Very impressed! And THANKS to FIT FREAK!!!!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by goner
Hi guys, Yeah, Honda supposedly added this to the Fit and CRV after the Toyota/Lexus floormat incidents. After you know it's there and why, it's probably a good feature. I can't imagine a 'one foot' automatic or a manual driver would ever know it was there. My dad drove yesterday and (being conscious not to touch the brake pedal) had no problems. Hats off to Fuller Honda (Chula Vista, CA)!!! Jun and his tech were SUPER patient and spent a ton of time explaining the situation, showing the video and test driving; showing how it all works. Very impressed! And THANKS to FIT FREAK!!!!
As always with these kinds of passive/hidden safety things, it would be nice if there were a way to by-pass or override the computer if you know what you are doing, similar to how there's a button for turning VSA off.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
As always with these kinds of passive/hidden safety things, it would be nice if there were a way to by-pass or override the computer if you know what you are doing, similar to how there's a button for turning VSA off.

If you know what you're doing, there is.
trouble is knowing who knows who knows what they are doing.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
I did not know that the fit had a brake override. Honda to install brake override systems on all models Looks like either the 2011s or the 2012s were the fits to get it.

Having a accelerator overidden by brake pedal isn't new. The problem remains that virtually all sudden acceleration incidents were drivers mistakenly stomping the accelerator instead of the brake and then in panic pressing harder on the accelerator because the car isn't slowing.
I suspect that 2 foot pedaling is preferred because the wrong foot isn't as likely to hit the pedal its not used to hitting. in that case the overide can be dangerous (try that left foot braking in turn 8 at VIR. Too fast to suddenly lose power. Good way to go backwards into the weeds.
I've seen it happen in turn 1 but speed much slower so it was just a 'ride'.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkane
manual trans.
Hmm, my '07 5AT allows me to "power brake" for a nice "launch" at the start of an AutoX run. Note, in doing so, the engine revs are limited to 3,000 rpm max.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:24 AM
Same Problem Exactly

My wife's 2015 Fit EX (auto) exhibits the same problem. I have a light throttle foot. When cruising around a parking lot at walking speeds and trying to gently accelerate nothing happens. I have experimented with slowly pushing the throttle pedal almost to the floor before getting a huge surge.Very disconcerting when making a left turn in traffic and the car won't go! Dealer says can't see any problem even though I have demonstrated it clearly to the Service Writer. I will call the Honda Support line and post the response.

BTW - Had the identical problem with a 2011 Sonota, also auto. Gave it to my Grandson and he reports it too.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:37 AM
Unhappy BRAKE overrides are old-news, apparently...

Originally Posted by GaryL3803
My wife's 2015 Fit EX (auto) exhibits the same problem.
did you read the responses ? or just the title and OP ? yes, 4 pages might seem like a lot of information - but it was right-there, above your post... ALSO - this is a 5-year-old thread... why resuscitate it without checking the responses ?

if you are a 2-footed driver, you WILL have issues with newer cars... (eta: auto-transmission, obv.)

either buy/use older cars (which dont have the brake-override) or learn to be a 1-footed driver... (or ???)

gl, h.

Last edited by hfelton; 11-22-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2023, 12:26 AM
Sorry to resuscitate this thread but….

I just had the same exact problem today. I figured it out but I couldn’t find the answer in this thread. I want to help anyone else out who may have the same problem because I was about to replace all of the spark plugs and ignition coils for no reason.

So the problem for me was….and you’ll never believe it. Aftermarket LED taillights. Yep, I replaced my normal taillight bulbs with LED and they seem to interfere with the throttle position sensor. I would try to turn into traffic and my car would stutter and not accelerate. It would happen in parking lots and seemingly other random times. I eventually noticed that it only happens when I turn my blinkers on to make a turn.

Replaced the LEDs with normal bulbs and the problem went away. To anyone who wants to use LEDs beware. I have a 2012 MT Fit btw.