2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I turn off the TPMS light without replacing sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Question How can I turn off the TPMS light without replacing sensors?

I can't justify the expense of replacing 3 out of 4 of the faulty TPMS sensors on my 70,000 mile car. ($325 job!)

Can I pull a fuse to just get the stupid light to go out?

TPMS has to be one of the dumbest government mandates I've seen. Totally useless.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Pull the fuse and you'll get a Check TPMS System sort of error light instead. I forget what that looks like on a Fit, but if you're lucky enough to have a Fit without VSA, they just live with that light.

Replacement sensors should only be about $40 each, its the undoing tires, replacement and programming where the stealership gets you.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 PM
They don't have battery's that can be replaced? Black tape works just in case.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkane
They don't have battery's that can be replaced? Black tape works just in case.
My dealer said no. He did say it was likely the batteries were dead.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
I bought a set of four for about $114, from tire rack.

Why not just put a new set in when you get new tires?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I bought a set of four for about $114, from tire rack.

Why not just put a new set in when you get new tires?
Replacing the sensors is out of the question. It is useless to me. I know how to tell when my pressure is low without a dummy light.

Plus I replaced my tires this week. I balked at the $325 to fix the dummy light with new sensors.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 AM
It's sad to say but living with the light or modifying the cluster, ie tape as stated above, are your only options...

Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
Try having the damn VSA as well. No sensors, can't turn off VSA (well, at least that's what they say, pulling the right plugs on the otherhand....)

Yeah, you will just have to pull the bulb or put some tape over it. Make sure your state doesn't require a working tpms system to pass inspection though.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blazer Deli
Replacing the sensors is out of the question. It is useless to me. I know how to tell when my pressure is low without a dummy light.

Plus I replaced my tires this week. I balked at the $325 to fix the dummy light with new sensors.

I used to think that the TPMS was a waste of money and a pain. Like you, I keep a close eye on tire pressure. But then about two months ago I was driving from Baltimore to New York and suddenly got a low-pressure light on the dash. I pulled off the interstate and found a screw in the middle of the tread of my front-left tire. It was early on a Sunday evening and all of the repair places were closing, except for a Wal-Mart that agreed to put a plug in even though they were about to close. If it hadn’t been for that TPMS signal I wouldn’t have realized there was a problem until after everything had closed. So the system probably saved me from a night in a hotel in the middle of nowhere and from missing at least half a day of work. So this, plus the fact that most others don't pay any attention at all to their tire pressure, has convinced me that the system is worth the cost/hassle.

I'll need new tires again in about a year and will have a set of four new sensors ready to hand to whatever place I select for the install (09 Sport MT), which will probably be the dealership, as they'll have the equipment to program the sensors.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM
W need to investigate this further. There has to be some trick to disable the system, or at least make it "think" its working.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blazer Deli
I can't justify the expense of replacing 3 out of 4 of the faulty TPMS sensors on my 70,000 mile car. ($325 job!)

Can I pull a fuse to just get the stupid light to go out?

TPMS has to be one of the dumbest government mandates I've seen. Totally useless.

Cover it with piece of black electrical tape.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schoat333
W need to investigate this further. There has to be some trick to disable the system, or at least make it "think" its working.
I have been working on that. Best I can come up with is to add a switch to the power line for the ABS pump. I haven't done it yet, but it is on my list of things to do. I need a schematic first though.

I do know that pulling the connector for the ABS pump works, though it also disables your ABS of course. The ABS fuse is tied to the power steering, so that doesn't work unless you have strong arms.

I have found it to be a non issue with good tires though. I think I have had it kick on once in 6k miles with my new tires. The stock tires it was kicking on every other day for something.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Eugene.Atget
So this, plus the fact that most others don't pay any attention at all to their tire pressure, has convinced me that the system is worth the cost/hassle.
Those that don't pay attention never will - the light comes on and they ignore them. That you do pay attention is why you actually stopped and found the problem... though with enough pressure lost, if you know your car you'd definitely feel something was wrong too.

The only time TPMS is really needed is with runflats since in that instance, its much harder to tell if you have a leak.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
I'd like to just cut the power to that light.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
X2 on the electrical tape, or someone on the forum stuck his TPMS sensors in a pressurized PVC tube and just zip tied that to the bottom of the car and never worried about it again. I'll see if I can find that thread.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:29 PM
tpms is great, only thing is wish it showed the tire pressure in each wheel so you don't have to check all 4.
so many people drive with low tires and cause accidents,

Old 04-14-2012, 03:33 PM
I am still trying to figure out a way to get rid of this stupid ass system. I could care less about the light. More concerned over the fact I now cannot turn off traction control. I guess im just going to wind up buying these stupid ass sensors so I can actually drive without it on.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Theos92vr4
I am still trying to figure out a way to get rid of this stupid ass system. I could care less about the light. More concerned over the fact I now cannot turn off traction control. I guess im just going to wind up buying these stupid ass sensors so I can actually drive without it on.
If you get a good set of tires it doesn't kick on all the time like on the stock ones. If you really get sick of it, the best way I have found so far is disconnecting the ABS pump. but that nixes your break balance and ABS as well, not going to sit will with the insurance companies.

As a side note, I work in Hackettstown.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by canuck901
tpms is great, only thing is wish it showed the tire pressure in each wheel so you don't have to check all 4.
so many people drive with low tires and cause accidents,
You don't get it. People who do that precisely will ignore the light anyways. Been in cars where the TPMS light is always on, people who don't care about tire pressures never will. TPMS just hurts the responsible, and won't stop the ignorant.

Soon enough, they'll just mandate that if your TPMS light is on, the car just won't start. That'll be fun... NOT!

People are what cause accidents, it will always be that way.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
I'm wanting to sell the car eventually. I don't want this stupid light screwing up my sale.

Quick Reply: How can I turn off the TPMS light without replacing sensors?