2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I turn off the TPMS light without replacing sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by x_25
If you get a good set of tires it doesn't kick on all the time like on the stock ones. If you really get sick of it, the best way I have found so far is disconnecting the ABS pump. but that nixes your break balance and ABS as well, not going to sit will with the insurance companies.

As a side note, I work in Hackettstown.
Im not having a problem with it kicking on, I just want to be able to turn it off for track events and such. Had I known that not getting the tpms sensors for my new wheels and tires would not let me turn off the vsa, i would have just bought them

And I live, and also work in Hackettstown Suprised I havent seen you around!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Theos92vr4
Im not having a problem with it kicking on, I just want to be able to turn it off for track events and such. Had I known that not getting the tpms sensors for my new wheels and tires would not let me turn off the vsa, i would have just bought them

And I live, and also work in Hackettstown Suprised I havent seen you around!
Well for track events, just go pull the big connector off the ABS pump. Since if you really know how to drive you don't need that either. It kills the ABS and VSA. Don't pull the ABS fuse though, since in the manual they only list it as VSA and ABS, but it also turns off the power steering.

Are you coming to the meet on the 22nd in sandy hook?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101
You don't get it. People who do that precisely will ignore the light anyways. Been in cars where the TPMS light is always on, people who don't care about tire pressures never will. TPMS just hurts the responsible, and won't stop the ignorant.
^^^ EXACTLY!

There's been mixed reviews about the ATEQ Quickset, but after more research I think I will try it as well (just gotta run it from a Win 7 platform). Even though you can only store 2 sets of wheels per profile other car owners have worked around that by installing the software on different flash drives you could make it work with more sets of wheels (as long as you have TPMS monitors on the other wheels & they're activated you have their ID #'s)

Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM
So I assume the wheel sensors used are the active kind Meaning they are constantly transmitting a signal to the car, unless the pressure is below a certain level.

What we need to find out is where the receivers are located on the chassis, and what voltage they are sending to the ECU. Also, do the receivers send voltage to the ecu only when they do not receive a signal from the wheel sensor, or is it a constant voltage unless the wheel sensor signal is not there.

What I mean by that is, does the ECU turn on the TPMS light because there is no voltage from the receivers, or a constant voltage.

If we can imitatate either of these voltage situations, we can trick the car into thinking the TPMS system is working fine, even without sensors.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jnesselroad
someone on the forum stuck his TPMS sensors in a pressurized PVC tube and just zip tied that to the bottom of the car and never worried about it again.
That won't work. I ran a spare tire/wheel on my Fit that had no recognized TPMS sensor in it. But I also had the original tire/wheel with programmed sensor in the car at full pressure and the light didn't go out. The wheel apparently has to be spinning to get the right signal. I now just cover the light if I rotate the spare tire onto the car.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 AM
You could have the dealership clear the light but it will come back on after 20-30 miles. The sensors will usually awake after the vehicle gets up to 28mph or more. Trying to disable the tpms system is not the greatest idea but I can help out on electrical schematics since I work at the dealership. If it was me I would just replace sensors. Hell if you were close to where I'm at I wouldn't charge you any labor for it so all you would pay is the sensors. Anywho...

Old 04-17-2012, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
There will not be a good solution to this problem until someone develops a device to simulate CAN bus communications from the car's tpms receiver to the ECU (or reflash the ECU). This is a complex communication protocol not a simple voltage. Even hacking the wheel sensors themselves is impossible due to the all-in-one chip design. I have found one loophole in the systems design that allows VSA override without wheel sensors, but it requires a HDS and a TPMS activator, Also the dash light still flashes. If you use the HDS and activator to pair the sensors to the car, then take away the sensors from the car before you drive it. The car will be left in a mode searching for the sensors, but still lets you use the VSA overide button! I ran my 2011 like that all summer. So the moral of the story is Honda did a bad thing to us.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Honda didn't do a bad thing to us by choice. It is all government mandated in the US now. Both the TPMS and VSA (new for 2012).

Old 04-17-2012, 01:24 PM
It would certainly be nice if generic pressure sensors would be recognized by the TPMS receiver. I envy the BMW/Mini crowd that can reset them and run a summer set and a winter set of tires and reset them with the computer...

Old 04-17-2012, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by x_25
Honda didn't do a bad thing to us by choice. It is all government mandated in the US now. Both the TPMS and VSA (new for 2012).
The government mandated the use of TPMS and VSA, but they did not mandate that TPMS can override the VSA disable switch. They also did not mandate that you have to own a HDS in order to pair TPMS.

Other manufactures make it possible to learn new sensors without expensive tools, and override VSA/TC with TPMS missing. Honda did not implement this in a way that allows a owner to change TPMS sensors themselves, it requires dealer interaction $$$.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by mhadden
It would certainly be nice if generic pressure sensors would be recognized by the TPMS receiver. I envy the BMW/Mini crowd that can reset them and run a summer set and a winter set of tires and reset them with the computer...
I have Mini and yes you can reset the TPMS but if you dont have the sensors the light just comes back. I bought new sensors for my summer wheels. Sensors were $200.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by NYNOMAD
I have Mini and yes you can reset the TPMS but if you dont have the sensors the light just comes back. I bought new sensors for my summer wheels. Sensors were $200.
Yes, I meant you can buy aftermarket sensors and reset them yourself rather than being forced to return to the dealership to have them program them.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 PM
So here is a question, I had to replace my tires so instead of getting new tires i wen t and picked up a set of wheels and tires but no tpms. I blocked the TPMS light and its probably been 3 or four months now and the low tire pressure indicator just came on. Any Ideas?