Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Tricking TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Tricking TPMS

I have read up and people say to store the oem wheels 50-100 ft away from the car to avoid the tpms light from coming on, but others say that this doesn't work.

So my question is the following: Are the tpms sensors just radio pressure sensors or rotational accelerometers or spin counters? If they are merely pressure sensors, I can put them in a sealed, pressurized tube and leave it next to my spare tire. Otherwise...

Thanks in advance

Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
I beleive they have FCC IDs on them, so that would mean they are radio sensors.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Don't know what they are but I know that trick doesn't work because the light will just come on after you drive away. I had mine in the garage no more than 25 feet away from where I park and the tpms light went off while I was out and about driving. The light only just went away now that I have the stock wheels back on.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:22 AM
Why dont you just put your sensors on your new wheels?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:01 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
i know this is a old thread but on my 09
the fuse panel has a tpms fuse.
will pulling this do anything?
tricking or even shutting off the system
completly?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by Opti
Why dont you just put your sensors on your new wheels?
I agree 100%. Why doesn't everyone just put them in the new wheels? It doesn't cost you anymore to have it done when you buy your new wheels.....

Old 10-07-2008, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Well it will cost you more if you get new wheels and tires, say going up a size. I went from the stock 15's to 16's, so I had to have the tires taken off the 15s to get the sensors out, so that cost me $ right there.

It would be nice to easily have the system recognize more than one set of sensors. I picked up a 2nd set and installed them into my stock wheels which I may put on in the winter, but then if I want the system to work properly I have to get the dealer to reset them, which really sucks.

For the 09, pull out the fuse and see what happens, thats the only way you are going to find out!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:11 PM
When I sell wheels/tires even different sizes I would not charge the customer to take out the sensors. You just break down the top bead and take them out. I even put in regular valve stems in the old holes and air them up for free......Find a reputable tire store and they should work with you.....

Old 12-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by niko3257
i know this is a old thread but on my 09
the fuse panel has a tpms fuse.
will pulling this do anything?
tricking or even shutting off the system
completly?

Thats a great question I want to know if thats possible????

Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Just do what im gonna do and buy an extra set of sensors for the summer wheels. From what I can tell they are only and extra 130.00 or so a set. Then you have them for the summer/winter. For those who dont have winter. Just spend the extra to remove them from the old tires since you wont be using them.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
removing the TPMs fuse will not work.
a second set of sensors will work, however they are not auto-recognized by the ecu and will throw a TPMS light.

your options are:
1. swap sensors from OEM wheels.
2. second set of sensors and have dealer reprogram the ecu every time you swap wheels
3. second set of sensors and get this tool Revolution Supply Co. - ATEQ TPM Quicket Device
it allows you to reprogrm the ecu. a couple of seasons of swapping wheels and it will pay for itself.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Or you can do what I do, and thats ignore the light. Now that I have my scangauge mounted on my steering colum its even easyer to ignore the light, because I cant see it.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:15 AM
"So my question is the following: Are the tpms sensors just radio pressure sensors or rotational accelerometers or spin counters? If they are merely pressure sensors, I can put them in a sealed, pressurized tube and leave it next to my spare tire. Otherwise.."

To answer some of these questions since I just finished my own TPMS saga...
Older cars like mine (08 Fit) have radio sensors that simply send pressure and temp measurements to the module. They don't always transmit and "go to sleep" after the wheel stops spinning (which greatly saves battery consumption). Sensors that are not programmed to your car's module will not affect your TPMS system (this makes sense or else you'd have mass confusion anytime you park next to other cars!). If you pull the TPMS fuse or even eliminate the TPMS sensors a TPMS alert light will come on, different from a low tire pressure light. The only thing you could do, is get to your dash and remove its light bulb. In my case, the flat tire indicator will light and blink continuously. When any of the sensored tire's pressure is below the threshold (in my case ~29 PSI), the flat tire light will simply light and stay on until you put air in your tires.
My Saga summary: Got a blinking TPMS light (flat tire). Got 4 new sensors from RockAuto (@ $12 ea). Got local shop to install and program for $85. Blinking light would not clear. They spent some 5 hrs troubleshooting it and ran out of good ideas. Took it to the dealer, 3 days later and $160 poorer got it back resolved. Tech's note: "Last place visited the tech did not program one of the sensors". I'm thinking I need to invest in one of those TPMS handhelds...