2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

TPMS issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 07:35 PM
TPMS issues.

So I've been browsing these forums on and off for awhile but I'm unsure regarding a few things concerning the TPMS light on my 2012 Honda Fit (Base). My T-P-M-S light has been on for nearly 6 months. I estimate the letters lit up roughly 1 week after getting a new set of tires. Prior to that, I had never noticed the actual TPMS light only the (l) indicator which was easily resolved by adding air to the tires.

Few questions.

1) Do all 4 tires have sensors? How about the about the spare?

2) I'm not a gear head so I'm unsure whether the car should be taken to the Honda dealer or perhaps Autozone and connected to a machine to determine exactly which tire is the culprit. Assuming it is a faulty sensor.

2) This isn't so much a question, just observation and rant and me babbling. Last month I noticed my Fit seemed to be struggling up a hill during light rain. I made the assumption it could be TPMS related and to my surprise after glancing at the car manual I read that if the TPMS light is on, the car automatically turns off the VSA! Hence the Fit battling slippery roads. Now most TPMS-oriented threads, seem to overlook the VSA/TPMS connection. Perhaps drivers haven't noticed any substantial changes in how their vehicle handles or maybe this is preferred among drivers? I reside in Appalachia so I deal with a lot of curves and how the car handles, especially around curves is definitely noticeable with VSA off. I guess after driving my Fit for nearly 3 years with the aide of VSA, having it off doesn't sit well with me.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
. My T-P-M-S light has been on for nearly 6 months.
That's the system warning light, as opposed to the 'low tire pressure' light.

I estimate the letters lit up roughly 1 week after getting a new set of tires.
Very good chance one or more of the sensors was damaged during tire replacement.

A sensor could simply have a weak/dead/bad battery, which will cause the warning light once the sensor quits transmitting data. The car shouldn't be old enough to need all 4 though if that were the case.

OTOH it doesn't have to be a sensor issue at all, it could be anything from computer network communications issues in the car, to a bad TPMS control unit, to RF interference .....caused by a cellphone, charger, inverter, or laptop in the car. Yeah, that really can happen.

A real and correct diagnosis could reveal more detailed info.

1) Do all 4 tires have sensors? How about the about the spare?
4 tires/4 sensors.
No sensor for the spare.

2) I'm not a gear head so I'm unsure whether the car should be taken to the Honda dealer or perhaps Autozone and connected to a machine to determine exactly which tire is the culprit. Assuming it is a faulty sensor.
Honda Dealers are certainly equipped to handle every part of the situation from start to finish (diagnosis, repair, programming, etc.).

Next would be any tire store who is equipped to handle TPMS concerns (and programming new sensors to the car)....call and ask FIRST
I expect they can figure if it is a bad pressure sensor problem easily, but if it is anything other than a bad sensor they may not be able to do much.

Next, many (certainly not all) of the better independent shops may be equipped to handle it, if they do tire replacements. Again, call first.
I'd expect the same diag limitations as a tire shop (above) if they can help.

Autozone and other parts stores can't just plug in a scanner and read codes like they do with a check engine light, so they can't handle diagnosis nor repairs, but many do sell aftermarket replacement sensors.

after glancing at the car manual I read that if the TPMS light is on, the car automatically turns off the VSA!
You got this backwards.
If the low tire light is on, or the TPMS warning is on, the VSA system cannot be disabled by pushbutton.

From your owners manual:
If the low tire pressure* or TPMS indicator* comes on
or blinks, the VSAŽ system comes on automatically. In
this case, you cannot turn the system off by pressing
the button.

HTH

Last edited by ezone; 08-20-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
My experience is with a 2016 Fit so I don't know what features yours has. Our warning light was on this weekend but it meant the system needed recalibrating. There's a button near my left knee. I held it in and the warning light went out (can take up to 30 minutes). Since our car is almost new I think it was probably due to the dealer topping up the air before handing it over to us. The manual mentions that. After resetting it it has stayed out for at least 400 miles.