2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
View Poll Results: Am I a Genius or an Idiot?
Genius
65.00%
Idiot
35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

I just bought a JDM skyroof! (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
I just bought a JDM skyroof! (I think)

Ok, so I just took a huge risk on this. I was trying so hard to get the ebay seller to confirm it was a skyroof before I purchased it, but they were completly unable to answer for sure one way or the other. I figured, it HAS to be the skyroof, based on these facts

-the seller stated it was a Honda JDM OEM sunroof, and this is the only Honda sunroof ever on the Fit
-It's the right size and shape (Huge)
-It came off a 2007 JDM Fit, which IS 2nd gen (we just didn't get it till 2009 in the states)

Here are her exact responses:

Dear elady01,

Hi, i
s this a Honda OEM part? If so, what is the OEM part number? Also, please send me more pictures of this item. Last, is this part called the sky roof, or in Japanese, スカイルーフ?

"Thank you very much for your inquiry regarding the HONDA FIT (Jazz, Guangzhou-Honda Fit Sport) 2007 Sunroof [51730].
This is an original part from HONDA, made by Webasto. It came from the HONDA FIT G F PACKAGE. This sunroof comes exactly as shown in the photos. The part number of the glass is NIHONITA M5W1.

Unfortunately the supplier didn't provide any more photos. This part is called a sunroof, or サンルーフ in Japanese.

Thank you for your interest in our products, we look forward to serving you in the future.

Sincerely,

Tessa
Customer Service Team
UKEROO auto parts

- elady01"
I couldn't believe that after I went so far as to get the exact Japanese for "Sky Roof" off the honda.co.jp website, she would reply with the Japanese for "Sun Roof"!?!? I couldn't find ANYTHING on the part number she showed either, but then again, I can't find anything on the skyroof part number to begin with. In the end, I just couldn't bear the thought of loosing it, so I went for it! If this is a bust, my wife is going to kill me, but I really couldn't stop myself! What do you guys think? Am I an idiot or a genius? Is this really a skyroof?

Last edited by Gaujo; 04-29-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
I hope it goes on properly and you get to enjoy the hell out of it... It will be nice to have on hot summer nights.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
It says from a GE6, so you should be good to go. At least you will have a unique Fit stateside. If wifey gets mad, you can always go sleep in the Fit and look out at the stars.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
Well they don't open up T_C, just a skyroof and not a typical sunroof.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Well they don't open up T_C, just a skyroof and not a typical sunroof.
S0 SOLLY.. I didn't know about anything like that. I still want rally roof vents for my bomb. It is TOO HOT!! in the Summer down here the not have some ventilation when it drops down below 99F and the car is moving 70 MPH or better.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 04-23-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
Rally vents would definitely be a nice thing, it gets hot inside the cabin on circuit with windows up and I'll be damned if I drive around with a/c on.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

It appears to be the "JDM Panoramic Roof", wow! Looks like a killer price too. It doesn't open (as mentioned), but you do get the retracting shade. I had no idea it was made by Webasto.... Definitely getting a Webasto moonroof by next year (a much smaller one that opens though).

Good luck with the install, you gotta post up pics. One of a kind in the states for sure!

Old 04-23-2012, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
It appears to be the "JDM Panoramic Roof", wow! Looks like a killer price too. It doesn't open (as mentioned), but you do get the retracting shade. I had no idea it was made by Webasto.... Definitely getting a Webasto moonroof by next year (a much smaller one that opens though).

Good luck with the install, you gotta post up pics. One of a kind in the states for sure!
Update: Seller confirmed, it's the skyroof! I am now in need of some serious help finding the map light switch, and install directions from honda. Im gonna pray for help!

Last edited by Gaujo; 04-23-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
S0 SOLLY.. I didn't know about anything like that. I still want rally roof vents for my bomb. It is TOO HOT!! in the Summer down here the not have some ventilation when it drops down below 99F and the car is moving 70 MPH or better.
yeah i know what you mean by HOT, i'm in Southern Oklahoma and we get the same weather as you do down in Texas. After 105*f a Honda's A/C just doesn't work the right way. I've been driving around a '93 Civic without any A/C for the last few years while the wife had her Jeep that had amazing A/C. I can't drive without A/C any longer, it's unbearable.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Installing it yourself? Brave. Have you considered taking it to a Webasto dealer to have installed professionally and to standard? Wife might murder you if you chop a big hole in the roof and end up with... a big hole in the roof.

It being a JDM accessory, Honda might have installation instructions. However, in the states, Honda either sends the car to a Webasto dealer or has a Webasto crew come into the dealership. You may have better luck trying to get in touch with Webasto or stopping at one of their dealers and talking to someone about what you plan to do.

Good luck! Really looking forward to watching the progress.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm with Starks, don't install this yourself unless you've done it before. I've installed one with a buddy on his Integra and it was really sketchy since you only have 1 roof and no way to properly replace what you just cut too much of.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 PM
it said GE6... you're good.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Starks
Installing it yourself? Brave. Have you considered taking it to a Webasto dealer to have installed professionally and to standard? Wife might murder you if you chop a big hole in the roof and end up with... a big hole in the roof.

It being a JDM accessory, Honda might have installation instructions. However, in the states, Honda either sends the car to a Webasto dealer or has a Webasto crew come into the dealership. You may have better luck trying to get in touch with Webasto or stopping at one of their dealers and talking to someone about what you plan to do.

Good luck! Really looking forward to watching the progress.
Starks / sfar785,
I agree, this requires professional installation. Do you think the stateside Webasto dealers will be able to get the install directions? If anyone has any Webasto dealers they worked with, and reccomend, in the mid-atlantic, please share.

Last edited by Gaujo; 04-23-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm sure they'd be able to get the installation instructions, they install aftermarket sunroofs as well so i'm sure an OEM one would be much easier for them since there are already factory specs for it.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
With this mod, I'd just let a Webasto authorized dealer install it. I wouldn't even try to get the JDM wiring harness or the maplight w/ sunroof controls.

The Webasto installs look very professional and OEM looking regarding the controls. If you really want, you could get a maplight or homelink console off an older Honda/Acura which has the sunroof controls and have the installer wire it up to that. It's only for the retractable shade anyway.

Or you could install it yourself like this guy did ---> The Webasto 300 Medium Sunroof - Considering installing it myself! - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

Doesn't look too difficult, but what would concern me is that from previous Fit sunroof install threads, it was mentioned that the installers added cross support, but how and where?

Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Rally vents would definitely be a nice thing, it gets hot inside the cabin on circuit with windows up and I'll be damned if I drive around with a/c on.
AC on?! Eff that ish.... Damn AC eats like 9 hp easily... That's a lot for a L15!! lolololol

OP: It'll be bad ass if you can get it installed.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Just to install the skyroof you'll need much fabrication. The reinforcement beams in between the roof and the ceiling will need to be somehow moved and also it's going to cost mucho $$$$$$ to get that thing installed right without looking butchered.

Besides all the headaches to come, big props out to you for jumping into the skyroof project as it will be awesome when complete! You need to keep us updated on the cost and finished product so the rest of us can/might consider such mod.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JJIN
Just to install the skyroof you'll need much fabrication. The reinforcement beams in between the roof and the ceiling will need to be somehow moved and also it's going to cost mucho $$$$$$ to get that thing installed right without looking butchered.

Besides all the headaches to come, big props out to you for jumping into the skyroof project as it will be awesome when complete! You need to keep us updated on the cost and finished product so the rest of us can/might consider such mod.
you really think so? It installs from the windshield back to a straight line cut 2/3 back to the trunk. How hard can that be? Also, I find it hard to believe there could be enough braces in the rear 1/3 of the roof to matter! This thing drops in directly and fills the entire area between the 2 rubber seals on your roof, and I would imagine the steel frame the cover rides on, + the glass itself, are the structural supports themselves. The first Webasto dealer I talked to had this same question, essentially, was this installed at the factory, or at the dealer. IF at the dealer, then it's essentially aftermarket, if factory, then perhaps there is a special roof meaning I have to buy it or possibly have fabrication work as you say.

Hoping to find a JDM guru who knows if there is such a difference in the roof.

Last edited by Gaujo; 04-23-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
True thing about the AC... it really kills the power

I don't think it will cost more than $500 for the complete install. Since it's specifically for the GE6/8 it should be very flush when installed. If I'm not mistaken there's about 4-5 ~equally spaced cross braces on the roof, atleast 2-3 have to get cut. Webasto installers should be capable of doing that from the installs I've seen here on ff.net. Just curious what & where they add the extra reinforcement. True thing about the skyroof, that within itself if installed correctly, should somehow reinforce it

The only slow down I see is Webasto acquiring the cutting template(s), but since apparently it's a Webasto roof that Honda puts in they could contact their intl offices I guess. Also wouldn't make financial sense trying to source the JDM headliner as the installers would do a good job of cutting the existing one.

Check this aftermarket Webasto panoramic on a GE8 ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...installed.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...c-sunroof.html

Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sfar785
I'm sure they'd be able to get the installation instructions, they install aftermarket sunroofs as well so i'm sure an OEM one would be much easier for them since there are already factory specs for it.
Just got off the phone with the first Webasto dealer, he said he called Webasto corporate, gave them the part #s from the pic, and they told him it was a Honda OEM part. They said because it's Honda oem, they can't release the install directions to a dealer. They would not confirm or deny that the roof structure is different on a skyroof model. Starting to sweat a little bit...

Quick Reply: I just bought a JDM skyroof! (I think)