2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C problem - honda 2010

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 AM
A/C problem - honda 2010

Hi,

We've have some A/C issue for since last summer:
1. Cold A/C will stop "A/C" every few 1-2 min intervals and put non "A/C" air - it won't be cold but you notice on the sec that it's non A/C.
2. Bad smell, moldy/acrid like.

Our honda dealership (Car still under warranty for more than a year) checked it and saying that they can't reproduce the smell - it's so annoying...because when it happened i can't tolerate the smell sometimes...

and regarding the A/C start/stop : they are saying that they don't find something wrong with it and this is how it should work...eventhough that it's not...because it started to behave like that as I Said only last summer...
I tried to get Honda's official help through their customer service but all they did was to check with the dealership and take their "side of the story" - meaning: "this is how it should work and there's nothing else we can help you with other that you take the car to another dealership to check it" - which i still didn't...(only had this call with them a few days ago...)...it's so annoying and dissapointing to get these answers from them.

Did anyone expreinced similar issues and was able to solve it?

Thanks ahead!

Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Turn on the heat and use outside air for 10-30 min letting the car get nice and hot (it'll kill whatever mold is making that smell). After that stop running the ac on recirculate. It creates condensation that creates mold in the vents.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Hi,

1. Can the "heating" process be done in parking position? meaning I'll turn the car outside with the heating and let it run 10-30 min.?
2. "After that stop running the ac on recirculate..." - do you mean i should run it like that in Cold A/C mode? meaning we should start and use the cold A/C from now using outside air instead of the inside ("reciculate") air?

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by wolf1
Hi,

1. Can the "heating" process be done in parking position? meaning I'll turn the car outside with the heating and let it run 10-30 min.?
2. "After that stop running the ac on recirculate..." - do you mean i should run it like that in Cold A/C mode? meaning we should start and use the cold A/C from now using outside air instead of the inside ("reciculate") air?

Thanks!
Yeah you could do it in park ( it will take a little longer). If you want to use the A/C you can start it in recirculate to cool down your car fast but after that remember to switch it back to outside air. I had the same problem with my 2012.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Foul smell

Originally Posted by wolf1
Hi,

Thanks!
And to add, while the AC/heater is in "outside" air mode, I spray Lysol on the air vents at the cowling. Have you checked/replaced your pollen filter?

Here's some old threads you could look over:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/24839-diy-dust-pollen-filter-replacement.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...rty-socks.html

Old 04-28-2012, 11:51 AM
When you do use the A/C, try shutting it off a minute or so before you get to wherever your going. This will reduce some of that musty smell. It's so dry here that moisture isn't too much of a problem. I remember many of summers back in KS, getting out of the car and having my glasses fog up from the humidity.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
To answer question #1, my car does the same exact thing and I'm pretty sure it's a feature that helps reduce the amount of gas wasted. I'm all about saving gas and I can appreciate that feature. If it really is too hot, I just bump it up to 2 or 3 and it's usually not too big of a deal.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Question for using the AC. When you use it using "outside air", does the air conditioner work harder then on "recirculate?" Thanks in advance for anybody who can answer.

BTW, i have this same problem with the smell.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raiderfit
Question for using the AC. When you use it using "outside air", does the air conditioner work harder then on "recirculate?" Thanks in advance for anybody who can answer.

BTW, i have this same problem with the smell.
Foul smell - It's a good practice (I do) to run the heater for a bit after using the AC before shutting down. The smell comes from the condensation that just sits in the plumbing after AC use. The heat helps dry out the system.

The AC does not work any harder in "outside" setting. You're just merely switching airflow source. The sensation of colder air just comes from air being "recirculated" when in "recirc" mode.

It is also common for AC condensers to shut down when more power is demanded of the car. Then turns back on afterwards.

No AC expert, just opinion and experience.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks subie. The reason i asked is in recirc, it's taking the air temp in the car, say 70 deg F and air-conditioning it. But in fresh air mode, it's taking say 90 deg F outside air then air-conditioning it. But i'm with you, either way it'll help get rid of that bad smell and that's worth it.

And thanks for the link to change out the cabin filter. Man that's so easy, especially when the dealer wants $80 to $90 to do it.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Glad to help. There's a lot of info on this forum. Just need the to take your time looking for stuff...

I spray my cowling air intake with Lysol while the setting is in "outside" mode and/or Defrost. Helps kill the mold and the stinky smell becomes Lysol smell.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
I spray my cowling air intake with Lysol while the setting is in "outside" mode and/or Defrost. Helps kill the mold and the stinky smell becomes Lysol smell.
Subie, do you know where is the exact location outside air intake for the ac?

Looked for it a number of times and haven't found it.

I'm about to remove my cowl to look deeper.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shora
Subie, do you know where is the exact location outside air intake for the ac?

Looked for it a number of times and haven't found it.

I'm about to remove my cowl to look deeper.
Not sure of what you're asking. As far as I know fresh air (outside mode) comes through the cowling slats.

The AC condenser assembly is in front, like a radiator assembly.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Not sure of what you're asking. As far as I know fresh air (outside mode) comes through the cowling slats.
What I mean is, where does the ac intake pull the air from when set to "fresh air" mode?

For example, we know the exact spot where engines pull in air. Where does the ac pull the air from?

We know that there are cutout openings in the cowl (near wipers), but where is the opening to allow air into the cabin?

I've had my first GE8 since 2008 and still haven't found it. Lol.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Location of Air Intake

The outside air intake on my 2012 MY Fit is at the passenger side end of the cowl directly behind the passenger side strut tower. If you examine the vertical wall of the black plastic cowl just below the rubber hood weather strip you will see a slot for prying off an access panel. The panel is about six inches wide and provides access to the strut tower. With it removed, you can see where outside air goes down into the fan.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dick_larimore
The outside air intake on my 2012 MY Fit is at the passenger side end of the cowl directly behind the passenger side strut tower. If you examine the vertical wall of the black plastic cowl just below the rubber hood weather strip you will see a slot for prying off an access panel. The panel is about six inches wide and provides access to the strut tower. With it removed, you can see where outside air goes down into the fan.
So, basically, indeed to remove the cowl?

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 PM
If you pry open the access cover that I mention you can get a good look at where the air comes in. I don't think there is any good reason to remove the entire plastic cowl. You probably remove the air intake fan from inside the vehicle behind the glove box.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dick_larimore
If you pry open the access cover that I mention you can get a good look at where the air comes in. I don't think there is any good reason to remove the entire plastic cowl. You probably remove the air intake fan from inside the vehicle behind the glove box.

Found it. Perfect advice.

Name:  1-4.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  72.9 KB