2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to join the Fit family =D

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:30 PM
About to join the Fit family =D

Hello everyone. I'm planning on getting a new 2012 Fit Sport w. Navi very soon, so I've been doing a lot of research online. It often leads me to this forum.
Before I actually step into a dealership, I'd like to ask for some advice on the prices I should ask for. One dealer quoted me $19,945. I'm in CA, so the tax and fees will total to about 10% of the price. Total OTD price @ 22k seems high for me.

What's your suggestion on a reasonable price to ask for? If anyone recently bought a Fit Sport w. Navi in the SoCal area, please feel free to share the deal you got.

Thanks all. I look forward to being a Fit owner!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Same here... I haven't 100% decided on buying the Fit, but it's right there at the top of my list.

I'm also in So Cal, and would also get the Sport w/Navi, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread to see how it goes for you.

Good luck!

-J-

Old 05-02-2012, 01:05 PM
you mentioned that Fit is at the top of your list, so I'm curious what other cars you're considering. It's not an apple-to-apple comparison, but I'm down to either Fit or Subaru Impreza.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Flappy paddles or manual? I'd do some searching on sites like Autotrader just to see what prices show up for listings in your area. I don't think there's a lot of haggle room with the Fit. It's a car that's got a pretty high demand and at the end of the pricing scale where the dealer probably doesn't make much profit off the sale at MSRP.

Last edited by Tech_Monkey; 05-02-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
I will point out that it seems people aren't getting the advertised 36mpg on the Impreza (as I've seen on various threads at NASIOC.com), whereas many here, are getting better than the advertised mpg.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 PM
I've been looking at the Mazda3, the Impreza, the Hyundai Elantra, the Kia Rio, and possibly the Prius C. I keep comparing everything in my mind to the Fit, and it seems like the Fit has the best value and the fewest compromises.

Part of what is leaning me toward the Fit is this forum...People here really like their cars!

Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Another car worth mentioning is the Golf 2.5. It will cost more in fuel and maintenance, but it is (IMO) a lot of car for similar money. I think the 3-door manual runs about $18K to start.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by JasonLP
I've been looking at the Mazda3, the Impreza, the Hyundai Elantra, the Kia Rio, and possibly the Prius C. I keep comparing everything in my mind to the Fit, and it seems like the Fit has the best value and the fewest compromises.

Part of what is leaning me toward the Fit is this forum...People here really like their cars!
Another car I had considered before buying my Fit was the Chevy Sonic but when it came down to the wire the Fit won out with its price vs. features it had. The Honda reliability factor was also a BIG consideration as I previously was being killed with expensive repairs on a BMW.

To me the Fit is really fun to drive, peppy and has good visibility and I dig it's looks in the Sport trim.

Not that many Navi equipped Fits out there and to boot it seems that inventory on Fits is low at many dealers at the moment.

Best of luck with the hunt and making the right decision for yourself!

Old 05-05-2012, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
I too considered the Mazda3, but the Fit is no-compromises in the rear headroom department, which matters to my riders. Also, the Fit's USB connection meant I could put all my music on a USB stick and navigate through it with the stereo, and not worry about recharging an mp3 player's battery.

It appeared that Consumer Reports initially really liked the Chevy Sonic, but upon a second look (by a different reviewer ... hmmm) they were much more muted in their appreciation. The Fit still dominated on interior space and I knew (and have experienced) that the EPA estimates for the Fit are low, yet for other cars I looked at (esp. Kia Soul) they're high. But the killer for me was Chevy's reliability. Reliability means a whole lot to me, and Honda and Chevy are, historically, near opposite ends of that spectrum if you consider CR's survey data. I still wish them well but I'd rather not be their guinea pig. I'll let someone else be the early adopter of high quality Chevy products.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:39 AM
Finally went down to the dealership and checked out the Fit. I was amazed by how much space there is inside, alhough I've read so much about the cargo capacity, It's nice to finally see it in person.
Does anyone know if the navi system also include bluetooth audio streaming or capibility to import contact list from an iPhone?

Old 05-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Have you considered an aftermarket navi?

I have one and it comes with Bluetooth. It might save you some $$$

Old 05-06-2012, 12:09 PM
I thought about it. However, my bad experience of an aftermarket installation keeps reminding me of not taking that risk again. I'll see how capable the built-in Honda Nav is.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by thunderwoof
I thought about it. However, my bad experience of an aftermarket installation keeps reminding me of not taking that risk again. I'll see how capable the built-in Honda Nav is.
Its not really worth it. For the price you can get a much better aftermarket nav system. Hondas are super easy to do audio installs on. The honda nav system is kinda dated.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm about to buy a Fit Sport myself after narrowing it down a bit. It was between this and a Ford Fiesta (great mileage) I am choosing the Fit due to it having a time chain as opposed to a belt. Less long term maintenance (i hope)

Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know why people want to spend so much extra on navigation when you can get an aftermarket solution that looks almost the exact same and works better. The double din surround trim piece is a Honda part too. So, there isn't bad installation, or a changed appearance.

Then that way you can get all the bluetooth, ipod, make-you-breakfast-while-you-drive functionality possible, for less money, and have a larger pool of new Fits to pick from.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wage
I'm about to buy a Fit Sport myself after narrowing it down a bit. It was between this and a Ford Fiesta (great mileage) I am choosing the Fit due to it having a time chain as opposed to a belt. Less long term maintenance (i hope)
On fuelly.com it indicates the Fiesta has an average of about 2 mpg better than the Fit, but who knows what ratio of automatic to manual transmission owners each model represents. I average higher than the rated Fit and Fiesta fwiw.

The Fit is one of the least expensive cars to own for sale in the U.S. from a TCO standpoint. They are both nice, but where the Fit absolutely kills the Fiesta is in cargo room. Also, one of them looks like a rental car.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by hayden
I don't know why people want to spend so much extra on navigation when you can get an aftermarket solution that looks almost the exact same and works better. The double din surround trim piece is a Honda part too. So, there isn't bad installation, or a changed appearance.

Then that way you can get all the bluetooth, ipod, make-you-breakfast-while-you-drive functionality possible, for less money, and have a larger pool of new Fits to pick from.
My most recent bad aftermarket install experience came from a sucky technician (from a reputable shop) pulling apart dash pieces and scratched it in several places. Something was broken too in the back, because they can't be pushed back in properly. Now there's always rattling noises when I'm driving.

I still will consider your suggestion if I can find another reputable shop to do the installation.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 PM
My most recent bad aftermarket install experience came from a sucky technician (from a reputable shop) pulling apart dash pieces and scratched it in several places. Something was broken too in the back, because they can't be pushed back in properly. Now there's always rattling noises when I'm driving.

I still will consider your suggestion if I can find another reputable shop to do the installation.
do it yourself. Its easy. If you can see in color, read, and twist a wire you can install a deck.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 PM

Was your previous incident a Honda? I find taking the parts off really easy...

Picture related, my aftermarket nav.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member

Well, even if they scratch the old piece popping it out, the new piece will be brand new. I'm probably going to be popping my radio out tonight in order to install a red JDM hazard button, so I will try and remember to report back. I don't foresee any problems, even if you wanted to tackle it yourself with a plug and play harness adapter.

edit: only took me about 45 mins to get it on and off, as well as install the hazard, and that is due to poor visibility and not being able to open the doors fully (in my garage.) Getting the thing off is easy if you have the right tools (mini pry bar is a necessity) and a rag to protect the plastic with. Just do it during the day, outside, unlike me.

Last edited by hayden; 05-08-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: About to join the Fit family =D