2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need HELP! Car just unexpectedly just died in the highway.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Need HELP! Car just unexpectedly just died in the highway.

Fellow freaks, as the title states, after having the gas light on, i pull up to a gas station for a fill. immediately after departing i would say 5 min after turning in off an underpass the car bogged and turned off after turning left. My battery light and oil light came on.

I tried to start it, nothing, i tried again and it turned on with a little trouble and everything stabilized if you will.

I checked the oil and it is fine and the car is running fine, for now.

My question is, what could it be? I have OCD and this will drive me crazy and I dont want to get stranded and have to pay a tow truck or something. Any suggestions please.

I've had the car for about 2 years now and never experienced any issues, always done my maintenance on time.

Current mods: 300w rockford amp with sub (had it since the second month i owned the car), and K&N intake (less than a month old).

thanks guys, i appreciate any input!

Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Could be your battery.......

Old 05-06-2012, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
I'm no expert, but it sounds like you could have run the tank and fuel pump too dry. I have heard it's not good to let the tank get too low because it puts extra stress on the pump.

For those that actually know what they're talking about, could this be it?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
Running tank down to warning light and OCD? Wow

Try filling up before the warning light comes on. Likely sucking up any crap in bottom of the tank.

I fill up around half a tank or 1/2 minimum.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 AM
^ what he said. The fuel in your tank cools and lubricates the fuel pump. Its not good to run it low and suck up dirty fuel.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
In reality I have OCD for my car breaking down, and it stalling on me fucking drives me wild. a gas light never bothers me and to be honest, I've had the gas light on and drove 30 miles with ease and filled. Maybe this time it picked something up from the bottom when it stirred. maybe you guys are right, i was worried my alternator is giving out and not charging the battery because of my sub and amp.

any input on this theory?

Old 05-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Unreal12
In reality I have OCD for my car breaking down, and it stalling on me fucking drives me wild. a gas light never bothers me and to be honest, I've had the gas light on and drove 30 miles with ease and filled. Maybe this time it picked something up from the bottom when it stirred. maybe you guys are right, i was worried my alternator is giving out and not charging the battery because of my sub and amp.

its pretty easy to get your alternator tested at major auto parts stores.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 AM
my guess is you overheated the fuel pump, although it does seem odd that it would stall after filling up. as has been said, fuel in the tank cools the pump.

And relax. Cars are complicated pieces of machinery. Even the most reliable ones break from time to time.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:52 PM
There's at least a gallon in the tank when the light comes on...that's not going to kill the fuel pump. Refilling around 1/2 the tank is crazy with a 10 gallon tank. I'd be refuelling every other day!

Old 05-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Have you seen the physical shape of the fuel tank and where the pump is situated in the hangar?

Old 05-07-2012, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Unreal12

Hondas are reliable. Your OCD is why you bought one and not a Hyundai.

Your description (or my reading) isn't clear; does the starter motor not turn the engine? If not, then your sub-woofer mods are at fault, or your battery died (they do this the 1st hot day of the season just to annoy us), or both. The Fit's battery isn't made for deep discharge/charge (for many cycles).

If the starter engages and turns the engine fast enough to start, but it doesn't fire, then maybe you got bad gas or your intake is at fault.

Don't forget to tell us.

overheating fuel pump? This isn't a ford.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244

overheating fuel pump? This isn't a ford.
Hmmm...so the fuel pump is invincible, eh? Awesome!

Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
ill bet battery.

i stopped on the side of the road (my dads truck who i was following got a flat), with hazards on AND my phone, gps and bluetooth charging, engine off. Car dies after 20min.

Pull out all the electronics, sit for 20 min, gets enough juice to spark and turn over. Open the hood and the battery indicator is blue (first time i seen that), charged it, indicator goes green, replaced in car and is good to go.