Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Check engine, oil and battery light, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Check engine, oil and battery light, need help.

Not sure if this is in the right section, but I hope thats okay. I really hope I did this right.

I recently bought a 2008 Honda Fit Sport. Everything is going fine with it till one day I used the paddles and the check engine light came on. I stopped using them and the next day or so the check engine light turned itself off. So I thought everything was fine.

I used them again shortly after and the check engine light came back on, but now my car also stutters, and while I drive the check engine light(which is always on now) will flash when I go to a higher speed.

And then when I'm at stop lights or signs the stuttering will happen and my check oil and battery light turn on. At that point I have to turn my car off and back on to get the engine running again. This worries me since it'll happen when I'm in an intersection.

I've been reading threads and googling things to find out whats wrong and as far as I can tell its the coils, but nothing explains the battery and oil light turning on.

Anyone have advice?

Old 08-11-2014, 09:54 PM
The battery and oil pressure light are probably turning on because the engine is barely turning, and so the oil pressure is low (the oil pump isn't turning much) and the alternator output is low (the alternator isn't turning much). It's the same reason they'd come on if the engine were to stall completely, except it manages to not quite stall some of the time.

You only have one real problem, probably coil packs and/or spark plugs. That said, it may also be about time for a valve adjustment. Giving the proper attention to them will make the car run like a different (and newer) one altogether.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Does that cost a lot to fix?

Or is it something I check/do myself?

Old 08-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Coil packs should be comparatively inexpensive as car repairs go. Replacing them is pretty straightforward—they just bolt onto the engine, and in fact need to be unbolted to get to the spark plugs. Getting access requires a bit of work because of the tight quarters under the hood. It's certainly something that any moderately mechanically inclined person could accomplish without much difficulty (and there are a few threads here describing the process).

Adjusting the valves is a little more involved, but also well within the reach of a shade tree mechanic. You do need a set of feeler gauges to do it, of course, but nothing exotic or specialized. At least some DOHC engines are much more of a pain in this regard.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Flashing CEL means a misfire. Probably spark plugs and/or coil packs. Needs to be repaired before you ruin your catalytic converter. has nothing to do with using paddles, just a coincidence. You can get many brands of coil packs at www.rockauto.com (and many other places). Rock Auto has Hitachi coil packs for $51.79 each. Hitachi are what your Fit came with. I replaced mine years ago. Pretty commonly needed repair for a USDM first generation. I would changes spark plugs at the same time.

Last edited by spreadhead; 08-13-2014 at 09:58 AM.