Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Help - Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Help - Check Engine Light

Hi,

The check engine light has come on the dashboard.

Can anyone help me please.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2007, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe you should talk to your dealership. I'm sure they could provide better help and diagnose the problem more effectively. I hope it's nothing serious!!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:58 AM
After a non stop trip across country recently I had the same thing occur,I'll briefly mention what i gleaned from here and there.There are techs on this forum and elsewhere I am not.1}many things can cause(i've heard 100's)this light to come on,the manual here in the U.S. says stop and go to the dealer to avoid permanent damage,easier said than done in the middle of no where on a easter sunday,in my case.According to the boards and my dealer but not found in the manual,there is a difference between a check engine light solid and Flashing.If the check engine light Flashes a serious problem has occured and you are to stop immediately(even in the middle of nowhere)and get thee to a dealer.A solid check engine light,is a non critical error which throws the engine into what i have heard referred to as a (limp home mode)where the car drives in a limited capacity (revs are limted? in my case cruise control would not engage)and you are advised to make an appointment with the dealer informing him at your earliest once home.The error is recorded even if the light goes out again.The code will only inform the dealer in what system the error occured.If it was an annomaly there is no way to track it unless it repeats wherein they can drive your car while the error is occuring with a scanner hooked up to it.Hope this helps.If there is any one who has better info,Perhaps they might chime in with any corrections or additions.best of luck

Old 04-26-2007, 02:16 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
go to

go to autozone and do it yourself save yourself the hassle lol and buy a book dont be lazy :P

Old 04-29-2007, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
You may want to get a code reader from an auto parts store so you can find out what code it's throwing if you haven't had it fixed yet and even if you have it's a good tool to have. They're fairly cheap now. The FITs OBDII port on the U.S. model is CAN so the reader has to be CAN compatible. I don't know about the U.K. model.

You can find a list of Honda DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) on-line to keep in your car in the future in case it comes on again..

The ScanguageII can read and clear the CEL (Check Engine Light) and show you what code it has stored but it runs about $170 USD.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Don't know if this helps but i recently had this problem with my mom's van and it ended up being the gas cap was too loose, tightened the cap and 5 min. later light was off

Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Smile

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have purchased a service manual to tell what the codes mean. I am considering whether to buy ODBII. I have a Honda Jazz - 2005.

I will need to get the diagnostic test done.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
"Short" the service connector for the ECU and the CEL will blink out the fault code.
What are the pins that you short out to get the engine codes? I know how to do it on a Civic, but the Fit manual doesn't say how to do this.

On the Civic, you can short out 2 pins, then the check engine light blinks the code (no need for a scan tool).

Is there a way to get the engine codes on a Fit without a scan tool?

Old 08-05-2007, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
im having the same problem. i test drove my fit at the dealer yesterday. then when it was time to drive it home i noticed the check engine light was on, the car only has 40 miles on it. so i go back and the guy say's oh its probably the gas cap. so we tighten it and the light is still on. he told me drive it around and if its still on bring it back. well i drove 100 miles and the light is still on.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
pretty sure its the gas cap. remove the negative and positive terminal of the battery, touch those together. (called "hard reset") empties all the current stored in any capacitors.

then reconnect. start car, let idle for 5-10mins. then check it out. if CEL comes back on, go to autozone, ask them to check the CEL. (its a free service)

Old 08-05-2007, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zer0sk8ordie
so i go back and the guy say's oh its probably the gas cap. so we tighten it and the light is still on. he told me drive it around and if its still on bring it back. well i drove 100 miles and the light is still on.
I had the same thing happen with the gas cap. The car has to go through several test cycles and may take a few days to clear the cel once you retighten the cap. How long it takes depends on your driving habits and how long it takes to cycle through. This is what the service manager at the dealership told me.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
yes, on second thought. i remember the same thing happened to us when we first picked up our Fit! So i'd say do the reset ECU procedure and drive around for a while.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
yes, on second thought. i remember the same thing happened to us when we first picked up our Fit! So i'd say do the reset ECU procedure and drive around for a while.
Yup same thing happened to me. reset the ECU and youre fine. if you dont kno how then just take your ground off your batt for a few seconds then put it on. it should take that code off right away

Old 08-06-2007, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
sweet! i just left it alone and on the way home from work today the light was off! =D