2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is wrong with my Fit??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
NO YOU DIDN'T COME HERE WITH A LEGITIMATE PROBLEM.

You came here with a problem that is not really a problem.

OMG you're getting 30 mpg in an auto car, using A/C, using the cruise, driving like the inefficient fool you are. Have fun getting over 25 mpg driving anything with similar hauling capacity.

No one is upset you're selling it. The sooner you sell it, the happier everyone else on planet Earth will be.

Just remember when you're next car gets worse mileage its prove that you fail at being a human being.
It most certainly IS a legitimate problem, when my calculations show our Fit to have never gotten the fuel mileage it should have and continues to drop. Over the last two months it has gone from 31 (which is not very good) to 28 (which is downright unacceptable.) It most certainly IS a legitimate problem when the fuel mileage is the A #1 reason most anyone buys this car, otherwise what the hell is the point other than maybe cargo space but there are crossovers that have more cargo capacity and equal 28 mpg. If the poor fuel mileage of my Fit is not a legitimate problem then why are there so many others on here toting their supposed fuel mileage? You want it both ways- you want to say there's no problem, then you support others who claim 38-40 mpg consistently. Both situations can't be right. You say "my next car" only I have already shown our "next" car to have already beaten the Fit in fuel economy even though their is no physical, climate-related, or driver difference-related reason for it to do so. The fact is there is something wrong with my Fit if everyone else is getting 38, and have posted that they don't drive like granny. You just seem bitter because your beloved car failed someone, and you can't imagine any of them coming off the Honda assembly line to not be perfect. Again it might be just my car, but you have shown that just the idea of even one Fit that fails someone is entirely unfathomable to most on this board.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Do you have any logged data for me yet? That will settle this faster and more accurately than a million threads on the matter.

Or, get a different car.

The solutions here are pretty straight forward.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by malraux
Well... bye.
Again I would rather have kept it and figured out what the problem was, since it isn't me-- which I have tried to constantly get across to you all since that is the only thing you have left to come up with, but you would rather insist it's that than actually entertain the possibility that all is not right with my car.
Wish you would have helped instead of going into attack mode.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by seb9316
Again I would rather have kept it and figured out what the problem was, since it isn't me-- which I have tried to constantly get across to you all since that is the only thing you have left to come up with, but you would rather insist it's that than actually entertain the possibility that all is not right with my car.
Wish you would have helped instead of going into attack mode.
You aren't very good at the leaving part, but are pretty good at the whining part.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Do you have any logged data for me yet? That will settle this faster and more accurately than a million threads on the matter.

Or, get a different car.

The solutions here are pretty straight forward.
I thought about this over the weekend, but you need to loan me a scanner and whatever else I need, since It's not my fault I am getting such poor fuel economy and thus should not be out any cost to obtain the necessary equipment to do this. What would I need? What data do I log?

I have already stated our decision on selling. Let me ask you something else-- if the data I log clearly shows some problem, what will it show? Will it just show stats that say "yeah he's not getting the fuel mileage he's supposed to" or will it clearly indicate something is wrong enough with the car to have it looked at under warranty, by Honda, as it should be?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
You said you're going to sell. Go do that.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:55 AM
I thought about this over the weekend, but you need to loan me a scanner and whatever else I need, since It's not my fault I am getting such poor fuel economy and thus should not be out any cost to obtain the necessary equipment to do this.
Wow, entitlement much?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:59 AM
I thought about this over the weekend, but you need to loan me a scanner and whatever else I need, since It's not my fault I am getting such poor fuel economy and thus should not be out any cost to obtain the necessary equipment to do this. What would I need? What data do I log?

I have already stated our decision on selling. Let me ask you something else-- if the data I log clearly shows some problem, what will it show? Will it just show stats that say "yeah he's not getting the fuel mileage he's supposed to" or will it clearly indicate something is wrong enough with the car to have it looked at under warranty, by Honda, as it should be?
I'm not a charity, and I am not loaning you sh*t. This is how I pay my mortgage and feed my family.

Do you expect your doctor to work for free? Lawyer? Accountant? Insurance agent?

As stated, this would be useful for diagnostics on any other OBD2 car you buy. So it's not really a cost to bear its an investment that could save you a ton in the long run.

You would log all sensor output. TPS, IAT, MAP, Baro, MAF Hz, Front/Rear 02, ECT, IDC's, VSS, Knock, Cam Angle, VTEC solenoid.. and so on.

I can't tell you what it would show till I have the actual, factual data. The ECU don't lie.

Either theres a problem.. or you're full of it, essentially.

Thats the nice part about data logs. Unless YOU know what you are looking at, you can't manipulate it to fool ME. Even then, I can tell when the data has been altered for the most part.

We (you included) don't actually KNOW if it is your fault or not that you are returning the consumption figures you've shared with us.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 07-16-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
You said you're going to sell. Go do that.
Why didn't you try to help?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Keep on beating this dead horse. Win friends and influence people along the way. Or not. I bet the dealership just loves you. Do people scatter, run and hide when you drive up? Are you this anal in the workplace too?

Not my fault.

Please help me.

Why didn't you help?

I need you to hold my hand.

Loan me a scanner.

Fix my car for me.

Hey, give me some freebies here!

Hold my hand.

Mommmmyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

Bye bye now little man - go sell the car already.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Why didn't you try to help?
You are not helping us help you.

Your attitude is why you have received coarse responses from so many.

I am currently trying to assist you, you are not following through.

That is not my fault. Stop being so stubborn or move on.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I'm not loaning you sh*t and as I said, this would be useful for diagnostics on any other OBD2 car you buy. So it's not really a cost to bear its an investment that could save you a ton in the long run.

You would log all sensor output. TPS, IAT, MAP, Baro, MAF Hz, Front/Rear 02, ECT, IDC's, VSS, Knock, Cam Angle, VTEC solenoid.. and so on.

I can't tell you what it would show till I have the actual, factual data. The ECU don't lie.

Either theres a problem.. or you're full of it, essentially.

Thats the nice part about data logs. Unless YOU know what you are looking at, you can't manipulate it to fool ME. Even then, I can tell when the data has been altered for the most part.

We (you included) don't actually KNOW if it is your fault or not that you are returning the consumption figures you've shared with us.

What kind of $$ are we talking? I mean, this is a serious question, since if it's a rather expensive piece of equipment, then it's only a worthwhile if it has to be used on an array of vehicles (not just one, which would be the case right now since the Sonata is doing brilliantly), or if it is going to be a career (as it is with you.)
ANd, again, if this is the same thing Honda would be doing off their diagnostic, they should be doing it for free for me, that would show they at least still care about their customers.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:11 PM
PM me for rates after you get a hold of a device that can scan and log streaming data from the emissions port.

I cut a discount for FF members, but I am not looking to waste my time.

So if this is a serious inquiry I will work with you. If not I will stop responding here and in PM.

Please think about this further before replying. My time is valuable, as I would assume your is too. Take 24 hours, and think about it.

Note: you are not required to like the results of what I find. I am not a brand loyalist.. I have many makes in my stable.

I am not here to stroke you ego, or blow smoke up your ass. If there is a problem.. IE running excessively rich, whatever, I will call it like it is.

If all closed loop operation (and excessive time is spent in open loop) points to your operation habits and environment being the culprit, that is what I will tell you.

Honda does not run diagnostics for free on stuff like this. Besides you don't trust those lying liars anyways.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 07-16-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:11 PM
ODB2 devices are useful on every ODB2 car. And as I recall, the device combo DSM recommended can be had for under $100.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
ODB2 devices are useful on every ODB2 car. And as I recall, the device combo DSM recommended can be had for under $100.
Bingo, shop wisely if you intend to do this and it will be well worth for any car operating on the OBD2A/B standard. Of which there are many.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by AC7880
Keep on beating this dead horse. Win friends and influence people along the way. Or not. I bet the dealership just loves you. Do people scatter, run and hide when you drive up? Are you this anal in the workplace too?

Not my fault.

Please help me.

Why didn't you help?

I need you to hold my hand.

Loan me a scanner.

Fix my car for me.

Hey, give me some freebies here!

Hold my hand.

Mommmmyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

Bye bye now little man - go sell the car already.
Hold on a sec while I file you in the "people who are such blind Honda loyalists that they can't accept that one car off their line is bad or who are getting reasonable fuel economy out of their Fit so anyone else who isn't must be making crap up or bitching just to bitch" folder.
I shouldn't be held responsible for ANY of this, I noticed one of your lines up above says "not my fault" but you refrain from explaining how it IS my fault that I am not getting the advertised fuel mileage out of this car when for the 146th time I am getting it and better out of my larger more powerful Sonata with the same driving habits in the same climate so it can't be me. Absolutely no one has done this yet. If the difference was 2-3mpg between what I am getting and everyone else, then yeah I can reasonably see my driving habits contributing to the issue. When it's 10mpg, then Honda would have a world of explaining to do about why they made a gas pedal SO sensitive to input that the variation between a 42 degree angle on the pedal and a 43 degree angle on the pedal would result in catastrophic differences in fuel mileage. Yet that's what you all would have the world believe. Please, spare me.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Had a Honda motorcycle back in 1984. Just bought my first Honda car. Owned many V8s, 4 bangers, motorcycles, Motorhomes and more in my 56 years. Not a "Honda Loyalist".

There are two possibilities here.
1. The world is out to get you, all the posters on this forum are Honda Loyalists and mean people who suck.
2. Or the the mass majority of posters find you a weak minded, self important, entitled, argumentive little putz.

You may or may not have a problem with this Fit. You HAVE irritated the bulk of forum members with your posts and attitudes, and most have written you off as someone not worth their time and energy to help you solve YOUR problem(s).

So, in closing, clearly you are the better person, and everyone else on these forums are just mean Honda Loyalists who refuse to help you.

Hold on a sec while I file you in the "people who are such blind Honda loyalists that they can't accept that one car off their line is bad or who are getting reasonable fuel economy out of their Fit so anyone else who isn't must be making crap up or bitching just to bitch" folder.
I shouldn't be held responsible for ANY of this, I noticed one of your lines up above says "not my fault" but you refrain from explaining how it IS my fault that I am not getting the advertised fuel mileage out of this car when for the 146th time I am getting it and better out of my larger more powerful Sonata with the same driving habits in the same climate so it can't be me. Absolutely no one has done this yet. If the difference was 2-3mpg between what I am getting and everyone else, then yeah I can reasonably see my driving habits contributing to the issue. When it's 10mpg, then Honda would have a world of explaining to do about why they made a gas pedal SO sensitive to input that the variation between a 42 degree angle on the pedal and a 43 degree angle on the pedal would result in catastrophic differences in fuel mileage. Yet that's what you all would have the world believe. Please, spare me.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:03 PM
So the way a sensitive throttle with little tension can really mess up your mileage is by making it hard to keep a steady input leading to varying speeds. Additionally, it makes it easy to step way to hard on the throttle from a stop. You earlier comments about the car shifting way to much make me think that you were doing this without realizing it. hitting the throttle to 50% (IIRC) results in an automatic kickdown of the transmission for example. Its not a micro problem, its an unconscious heavy foot. The car being underpowered does accentuate that because you do have to rev it to get it going. So even though your drive is mostly highway, you're burning much of your gas in town.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
As someone that offered ideas and no belittling I just wanted to ask one more time what the f did you really do to try asolve. the problem? Thinking about doing things doesn't fix anything. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like you didn't even pop the hood and look around. Oh well bye and good luck with resale on that hyundai... you did research the sonata???

Old 07-16-2012, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
No she doesn't. ANd I'm going to keep replying "no you don't" or "no she doesn't" until I either see proof that you're not just saying this crap to bolster your love for Honda or until someone figures out how to fix my car so that I get better mileage, cause it ain't ME or the way I am driving it. None of you seem to understand that by continually lauding your 38 or 40 mpg, you are in essence saying there is DEFINITELY something wrong with my car, but you won't because you know in Honda's world these days they won't try to help me unless the damn dash is lighting up like a Christmas tree.
Sure she does seb, but you don't know where she drives. She may only have to accelerate 8-10 time on her way to work and back. She'll go stretches of 6 miles without accelerating at all. Completely flat land.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with my Fit??