2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad mpg

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 AM
bad mpg

Is there a reason why im getting about 315 miles per tank?

I keep hearing stories on how the fit gets about 350+ miles per tank. I have a 09 MR Mugen 5speed stock.

any ideas what I could do to improve my mpg. Thanks

Old 06-21-2012, 01:06 AM
You're doing better than me, I only get 270-290 a tank. Driving in San Francisco means I climb a lot hills.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
Try to only drive downhill.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Keep your foot off the gas

Old 06-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Pull it behind a large truck.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Miles per tank isn't really a useful figure. You'll get a lot more argumentative comments if you measure your MPG and give that instead. If you can't be bothered to measure I submit that it is actually of low importance to ya

Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Miles per tank isn't really a useful figure. You'll get a lot more argumentative comments if you measure your MPG and give that instead. If you can't be bothered to measure I submit that it is actually of low importance to ya
Realistically, the inverse is actually more useful (gallons per 100 miles). 30 to 40 mpg seems like a huge variation, but looking at g/100m, you get 3.3 to 2.5 Much more meaningful.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Just got mine an haven't got better than 35 mpg city w/ 10% highway--it is automatic though.

I normally get 27-30 cause I drive aggressively. The way I got the 35 was to do A LOT of coasting. Accelerate 5-10 miles over the speed limit and coast till your speed drops down to the limit and then accelerate again. I use the paddleshifters to stay in the power band when possible to so I'm not burning fuel and getting nothing for it.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
Talking HWY with air conditioning MPG

Every time I take a trip on the freeway I'm very pleasantly surprised at the gas mileage. I drive with the a/c on, and still get great gas mileage IMHO. My best is 37.5 mpg which isn't too bad for a car that the epa rates at only 33 hwy.

This is the first car that I have gotten 10% Better than the EPA rating

In the city, I only get 28, but that is lot's of short trips with lots of stop signs and traffic lights that are always red.

Last edited by dave92029; 06-22-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GTivan72
Is there a reason why im getting about 315 miles per tank?

I keep hearing stories on how the fit gets about 350+ miles per tank. I have a 09 MR Mugen 5speed stock.

any ideas what I could do to improve my mpg. Thanks

Measuring mpg by how many miles you get perr tank is a guaranteed losing propostion. Measure your mpg by the nymber of miles driven since last fll-up divided by the number of gallons it took to do that. Try to fill to same place each time, e.g. til pump cuts off in auto and fill to the next whole dollar amount, like $25.00. And take into account the kind of dcrfiving you do like in hills and last but not least, some drivers just have no idea how to report mpg accurately. Fib, well maybe.
Trying to decide when to refill by the gas gauge is very inaccurate and will always lead to low mpg or at best inaccurate mpg. that gas gage ain't that accurate !!!

Last edited by mahout; 06-22-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:01 AM
I dunno, I get about 315-320 miles per tank before I decide to fill up. I usually don't drain the tank to the point of the low fuel light though. I've only got 5k miles on the car (MT sport), but I'm getting just over 30mpg city and high 30's hwy. I even got 43mpg slow hwy and country back roads. I have observed that I get the best mileage cruising between 50-60mph. Some ppl claim getting better mpgs at 70-75. I'd love to believe it, but I see my ave mpgs starting dropping as I get to those speeds.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phrancis
I dunno, I get about 315-320 miles per tank before I decide to fill up. I usually don't drain the tank to the point of the low fuel light though. I've only got 5k miles on the car (MT sport), but I'm getting just over 30mpg city and high 30's hwy. I even got 43mpg slow hwy and country back roads. I have observed that I get the best mileage cruising between 50-60mph. Some ppl claim getting better mpgs at 70-75. I'd love to believe it, but I see my ave mpgs starting dropping as I get to those speeds.
You're mpg is pretty normal for MT; those reporting high 30's to low 40's at interstate speeds are most often automatics.
All 4 cycle engines have a 'sweet spot' in the rpm / load curve that defines the best mpg expected. Porsche used to publish their curves but long ago realized that few owners knew what it meant. Most manufacturers design their engines to have that minmum around 55 mph because , supposedly, thats where drivers spent more time. Thanks to different gearing thed automatic achieves that in the 65-70 mph range.
There are c3 things manufacurers can be counted on spending enormous funds on determining the best :
tires
gears
camshafts
And woe to you if you get in the way of their achieving 40 mph highway mpg. You'd be aghast at the number of drivers who believe they'll get 40 mpg; And at least one will sue because they didn't ... and win as did the woman vs Honda her hybrid. Yeah, still looking for the details; sounds fishy to me.

Last edited by mahout; 06-23-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:35 AM
I have an a/t... a heavy foot... pretty aggressive on the throttle... uses premium gas... average 25.6 mpg... I stopped complaining and just keep on paddling.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
You notice much difference on premium fuel? Just check my mileage since buying the car 3 weeks ago now with 2,200 miles says 34.3 mpg. I was surprised it was that good. I am always downshifting in to third going up ramps and don't even shift into 5th until I am about at 60mph.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Does achieving the epa mean you're getting bad mpgs? Why does only slightly better than promised cause remorse?? Buy some low rolling resistance tires and take off the bulky mugen kit. See what that gets ya

Old 06-23-2012, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
One word: Hills. Leaving aside the skill of drivers and everything else, the difference between the very gentle but certainly there hills of the Boston area interstates, and the flat cornfield highways of Iowa is the difference between 37mpg and 42mpg on a long highway trip. Setting the cruise on a flat surface and letting the engine run in that sweet spot without any changes in throttle input is great for MPG. Seriously

Old 06-23-2012, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by joey_fits
Does achieving the epa mean you're getting bad mpgs? Why does only slightly better than promised cause remorse?? Buy some low rolling resistance tires and take off the bulky mugen kit. See what that gets ya

We've gotten hundreds of new car buyers in all makes come in here complaining about how they're getting less mpg than the ***** salesman promised them. (They quote highway mpg from the EPA testing procedure, which nobody drives) Just like the ads you see now where they claim 40 mpg; unless its downhill on an uncrowded interstate with a tail wind even the highway mileage is out of reach. Savvy buyers know they'll get about city mpg or a little better. You should hear the stories they come in here regaling the verbal fisticuffs with sales people over mpg.

The EPA mpg test is strictly for comparing one vehicle with anotgher where mopg is determined by a 'precise' and dedfinite driving cycle and then 'corrected' for aero based on the aerodynamic drag coefficient, which isn't measured by the EPA but 'provided' by manufacturers.

Last edited by mahout; 06-23-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
I gave up obsessing over mpg's and when I gas up now I don't zero out the trip miles. It's been four fill ups now and my avg reads a consistent 32 mpg. I like that number. It keeps me calm reading a nice number all the time. I don't stress over every little acceleration, I don't get distracted from the road, and I'm ENJOYING my ride. I know I'm getting good mileage. I gas up every two weeks if I don't have a ton of incidentals. That's all I need to know. And it's a hell of a lot more fun not being hung up about it. Try it, you'll like it!

Old 06-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
I have an a/t... a heavy foot... pretty aggressive on the throttle... uses premium gas... average 25.6 mpg... I stopped complaining and just keep on paddling.
Premium?! I bought the Fit because I was tired of having to fill my Prelude with premium... Do you notice a performance difference and can you really quantify it?

Old 06-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
You're mpg is pretty normal for MT; those reporting high 30's to low 40's at interstate speeds are most often automatics.
All 4 cycle engines have a 'sweet spot' in the rpm / load curve that defines the best mpg expected. Porsche used to publish their curves but long ago realized that few owners knew what it meant. Most manufacturers design their engines to have that minmum around 55 mph because , supposedly, thats where drivers spent more time. Thanks to different gearing thed automatic achieves that in the 65-70 mph range.
Makes sense to me... I know the autos have slightly taller gears, but I though the torque converter would cancel out any real gains. Man I wish they had put a taller final gear in the MT and kept the same ratios for the other gears. Oh well, I still would rather have a stick than a faster optimal cruise speed...

Quick Reply: bad mpg