2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Fit vs Fit Sport (which do u recommend)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Something else to maybe consider

Strictly speaking, the cost difference between the two cars is $1,735. It gets a bit higher when you factor in sales tax, and a bit higher still when you are taking a loan.

Using the auto purchase calculator I posted, I calculated the total cost difference on a 5 year loan between the 2012 Base and Sport at a 3 different interest rates. This is just a starting point since I had to make a ton of assumptions. Base MT vs Sport MT. No options. No extended warranty. Paying full MSRP. No trade-in. $3,000 down. 6.5% Sales Tax. $500 in total fees.

The difference may not be all that significant, but it is something to be aware of when weighing the two choices.

Total cost including interest:

Base MT @ 1.9%: $18,381.56
Sport MT @ 1.9%: $20,319.96
Difference: $1,938.40

Base MT @ 3.9%: $19,162.24
Sport MT @ 3.9%: $21,199.01
Difference: $2,036.77

Base MT @ 5.9%: $19,967.13
Sport MT @ 5.9%: $22,105.33
Difference: $2,138.20

Either way, the Honda Fit will serve you well. Good luck with your purchase!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
I got the '12 base model and put nicer old honda alloys on it, and next week I'll put on a Progress rear stabilizer bar (thanks BlueBoogers). It still won't quite have the handling of the sport, but it's totally tossable and fun. Also fwiw, the replacement tires are $50 less per corner, and last longer.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by snuwer
The 2012 base comes with cruise control. I haven't noticed the nose diving on corners. Bernardi's and College Hill both sell OEM parts for less than what's listed on the Honda website.
I haven't driven a base since '10. Cruise wasn't offered with an m/t then. or so my dealer said.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by snuwer
I had planned on replacing the 15 steelies for the OEM 16 alloys (I think they run about $800) but I was going to wait until I'm a little closer to replacing the tires.
for $800 I'd go with something much better than the OEM wheels. you can get lighter wheels that will help with performance and economy. The RPF1 or PF01 from enkei are both nice wheels and are 14lbs or under. Those would be a little over $800 but if you like the RPF1 style, you could opt for the kosei in 17" wheels that are 15lbs. still about 4lbs/corner lighter than the oem sport.
Originally Posted by msbxiv
I got the '12 base model and put nicer old honda alloys on it, and next week I'll put on a Progress rear stabilizer bar (thanks BlueBoogers). It still won't quite have the handling of the sport, but it's totally tossable and fun. Also fwiw, the replacement tires are $50 less per corner, and last longer.
Granted, the oem tires might be that big of a difference but once you go with a MUCH better tire, the difference isn't that much. My replacement tires were about $75 each and are much much better than any of the OEM options.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 06-27-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Banned
Not much difference between the base and sport these days as far as convenience options go. Ride difference is from the 15 inch wheels on the base. Suspension is the same except for the rear sway on the sport. Progress sway for the back is about $150 I think?

As far as looks go...different strokes for different folks. I prefer the looks of the base fit. + you can put honda mudflaps on it!...

Old 07-20-2012, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 2011 MT and I would go sport but this is a 2012... so I guess its different.

I do wish they included audio controls by default.
I came from a 06 Civic EX and it had it but my 2011 Fit SPORT doesn't. Lame~

Old 07-20-2012, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Chad that's an awesome looking car. My perferred aesthetic is to keep same-brand wheels on a car. Not always possible of course; for one thing OEM wheels aren't usually lighter and you have to buy them used ... but I like the look. When I had a del Sol I tracked down some Civic Hybrid lightweight alloys for it. Come to think of it I might try them on the Fit!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Chad that's an awesome looking car. My perferred aesthetic is to keep same-brand wheels on a car. Not always possible of course; for one thing OEM wheels aren't usually lighter and you have to buy them used ... but I like the look. When I had a del Sol I tracked down some Civic Hybrid lightweight alloys for it. Come to think of it I might try them on the Fit!
I believe the Civic Hybrid wheels are/were offered as the Fit LX alloy wheel in Canada. They should fit with no issues.

~SB

Old 07-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Chad, what wheels are those?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
I believe the Civic Hybrid wheels are/were offered as the Fit LX alloy wheel in Canada. They should fit with no issues.

~SB
Close... The 09-11 Fit LX alloy's look exactly the same as the Civic Hybrid (08-11... iirc), but they're slightly different. The Canadian Fit LX wheels are 15x5.5 and 4x100... but the Civic Hybrid wheels are 15x6 5x114.3

I recently acquired a set of Canadian Fit LX wheels, can't wait to put them on.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:02 PM
I had a 2010 Base with M/t. I was a happy customer, even with a few long (2000 mile) road trips without cruise control. Unfortunately it was totalled in an accident. With the settlement check in hand, I started shopping. I assumed I would get a 2012 Base with m/t, especially since they had added 3 things as standard equipment: VSA, cruise, and keyless.

Well, I bought a 2012 Fit Sport with M/T instead. There were no Base models that close to me so I went to a dealer and low-balled until I got a respectable OTD price of 18,300. I had planned on spending the extra money on the Base adding wheels and tires, rear spoiler, intake, et al, so I just decided to go for the Sport and spend the same money without customizing.

I never thought I would want the Sport, but I'm glad I went for it. The ride is WAY smoother around the shit streets of Brooklyn (BQE is the worst highway in America AFAIK) than the 2010, the interior and exterior are both better IMO. I am very satisfied making the jump in price to the Sport.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
I replaced a 2009 sport MT with a 2012 base MT.

The sport was faster and rolled less in the corners. Have to nurse the base a bit.
I have an axle from a sport I will drop in as soon as the road construction is done.

Put leather seats in from Katzkin.

I have never liked a car as much as I like the upgraded base.

Might get a few of the 'ram air' components from a 2012 sport.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:39 AM
ltd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ed_in_texas
I replaced a 2009 sport MT with a 2012 base MT.

The sport was faster and rolled less in the corners. Have to nurse the base a bit.
I have an axle from a sport I will drop in as soon as the road construction is done.

Put leather seats in from Katzkin.

I have never liked a car as much as I like the upgraded base.

Might get a few of the 'ram air' components from a 2012 sport.
I like your wheels. Would you tell me what brand, color and where did you get it ?

Old 09-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by samw
Don't have lots of money.
You have not posted any other criteria for your new vehicle other
than the above... so based on that get the Fit base model.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
If that is the ONLY criteria there's cheaper cars out there. I should necessarily assume you want new, but clearly with used cars the price can range anywhere from a new model down to like $2000 depending how crap of a car you want, and there's too many possibilities to discuss there. I will say that used cars are currently in short supply so "lightly used" trade near the price of a new car.

Assuming that you DO want a new car either for reliability or for the warranty, there are cheaper options than even the base Fit. For value-for-money, I recommend the Hyundai Accent. Very cheap, good amount of kit, and a stellar 10-yr drivetrain warranty for the original buyer (which helps compensate for the fact that Hyundai reliability is decent but not the best). Even looks good if you ask me.

If you're less concerned with interior space and really would prefer cheap and fun to drive, the Mazda2 is both. In fact in base trim it's almost unbelievably cheap given how much fun it is.

I'm conscious a lot of time has actually passed here - OP, what did you actually buy?

Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ltd
I like your wheels. Would you tell me what brand, color and where did you get it ?
Tr motor sports. Tire rack store brand. Gray.

These are 16x7 with a dws 205/55 tire.

Some rub on bumps but happy.

B spec Honda uses the 15.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Went from an 09 Base to a 2012 Sport.

I love having cruise control and the USB dock on the radio. The trim and dash colors are also nice.

Now one HUGE thing I like about my Sport is the stability/traction control. At first I didnt think much of it but its quite a nice system. The stability control works awesome too!

But as soon as the snow hits I might turn it off for some parking lot fun. ;D

Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 PM
I got a 2013 Sport and the reasons I like it are the spoiler sets it off nice, the rear torsion beam (which I hope to supplement with a RSB), the seats are much better looking in the sport (I think the base seats look like a rental car), the paddle shifters are fun, 6 speakers vs 4 speakers, and the front end/fog lights look good.

With those things already done for me, I can focus on more important upgrades, such as some Weathertech Floor Liners, a tint, sport springs, and upgraded tires (when the OEM's go out in 25,000 miles). Not to mention I can focus on trim pieces like the door sill trim, rear bumper applique, and other accents that will give the car personality. Plus, the more things that are factory OEM, the more the car will have universal appeal to prospective buyers when I am looking down the line to sell.

By the time I would have upgraded the base to the level of the sport (albeit with exactly the brand and look I want) I would be a lot more than $2,000 into it (parts+labor).

I agree that the front lip is dang low already without it being lowered at all.

Last edited by Mikeyk12; 01-21-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:34 PM
make sure to swap out interior bulbs for leds make a world of a difference.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by JKID
make sure to swap out interior bulbs for leds make a world of a difference.
Do the LEDs just make the lights brighter?

Quick Reply: 2012 Fit vs Fit Sport (which do u recommend)