2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Second Gen has a real VTEC engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:08 AM
Second Gen has a real VTEC engine

I read on another thread that the second gen Fit has a L15A7 engine wich is a real VTEC engine. It's a bit different than the GD version. I did not want to hijack another thread. (I'm learning) Just thought it might be interesting to see where this leads too! (Not interested in starting a war between GD and GE at all. Just having a lot of fun learning about my Fit through this forum and I hope you all take it this way)

So I guess my question is:

Is the L15A7 engine designed for power first or was it designed for fuel economy? Or did the smarty pants engineers at Honda do both at once?

And since the engines are different in the GD and GE do aftermarket parts like CAI's and exhausts offer different benefits or act differently on either engine?

The best part of all this is learning why my engine makes the noise it does at different RPM's. Makes driving more fun. Even in traffic. Ha!

Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - TOV First Drive: 2009 Fit is Win!

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 06-26-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Every Honda engine is a real VTEC engine. It just depends on how you drive it. The GE engine does sound pretty nice when it's done right. You should check mine out when you hav a chance.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
EL OH EL.

No, is this 'real' VTEC? Yeah, sure.

Is it a VTEC that anyone would ever want? Nope.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jazzhands68
ya know, not to get hostile. but some of the comments in here are the reason people are hesitant to post things on this forum. He is here to get research. If he had acquired it somewhere else, he wouldn't be asking on the forums. No point in making someone feel like shit about a question. of course you are free to post whatever you want. I just don't think there is any need to make someone feel like an idiot for posting something. come on guys, weve all been there, just cut someone a break every once in a while. I know a lot of you guys have tons of knowledge about this stuff. So why not offer some advice?
He buried his questions under some stuff he copied/pasted with the appearance of "educating" or whatever he thinks no one else knows so anyone who might know the answer would skip over this thread. Everyone knows the Fit has a VTEC engine, its kinda Honda's thing. Its like saying "Every keyboard has keys! Does the F5 key do something different than the F6 key?"

Old 06-26-2012, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Afraid I have to leave the above argument alone, being fairly new myself.

In response to the original question, yes the engines do differ, although they are the same L-series engine family. Broadly this family is Honda's current small/high-efficiency/low cost engine. It incorporates some high tech thinking for sure, but in some cases balances that with keeping costs down.

The 1.5 we get in the GE is actually the "performance" engine in the rest of the world, but it's the only one that will realistically sell here. Compared to what US buyers expect, or even compared with the 2.4L K-series in the CRV/Accord etc, it's indeed quite down on power. It's very simple: smaller engines are lighter weight and produce less power, while needing less gas.

The engines are quite smooth to rev, but they are not fast and the L-series doesn't take modifications well. I often look at it and go, you know, it's so intelligently designed right now I'm not very certain I could do much to it, or even would want to.

If you think a car can be fun driving at wide open throttle while still going quite slowly, then you'll love it; if your idea of fun is a 400-hp mustang V8, then you'll be sorely disappointed. Hope that helps!

Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 PM
I worked a night shift. While I slept today I missed all this.

I read the whole thread a couple of times and I will clear up a few things. I did do a fair bit of research. It started when I read on another post that GD's had 12/16 valve operation and the GE was a true VTEC with a 16 valve operation. To say that all variants of Honda "VTEC" engines are basically the same would be seriously misleading in my opinion. One only has to look a the history of it's development. Like I did.

I also read that the L15A7 variant was an actual engine that they use in F-series racing. All that and 35+ mpg. How cool is that?

Accordingly, and in keeping with what I've read, this means that the GD version was designed to save a little gas and the GE version was more of a zoom zoom version. In a non-technical way of saying it of course.

The A7 has a better kick at lower rpm and at higher rpm. The middle seems to be unaffected.

I'm not about to recount the 25+ models of different VtEC engines I've read about.

But my question does remain.

Because the A1 and A7 variants of the L15A Honda engines are different do they respond differently to aftermarket intakes and exhausts? And if so do aftermarket manufacturers really make these parts in a way that actually enhance the different characteristics of each engine types? Or are they 300+ dollars worth of grumble noise making?

I do apreciate posters who come to the defense of the new people. That makes me a good Canadian, hey?

Having said that I am bit past the age of caring about what some anonymous person says on this forum that is not an actual answer to my questions. (notice i did say I'm a bit passed caring...not all the way yet. I can still get my feathers ruffled. Hahahha)My life's work is that of Emergency Management for the population of Quebec. We operate a 24 hour crisis centre to which I am a watch officer. My Fit is my latest obsession and gives me a bit of stress relief if you will. Gives me something to thinker with.

If you feel you can some how teach new people about the do's and don'ts on this site by embarrassing them well I suggest you leave this to the moderators. Or better yet, just move on. You are not obliged to respond to any posts.

Ok then. I'm off to work! And now that I understand more about my I-VTEC engine I will enjoy my ride to work that much more. And here I was thinking I was just getting a grocery getter.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 06-26-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
do aftermarket manufacturers really make these parts in a way that actually enhance the different characteristics of each engine types? Or are they 300+ dollars worth of grumble noise making?
Some manufacturers do more R&D than others, so may net you an extra few HP or so. I'm pretty sure the cheaper manufacuters just find a pipe that has a bend that will fit in the bay and weld on some bungs.

Bottom line though, you're not going to be making very signifigant power increases with bolt-ons with either engine, and the $300 you're talking about will show up mostly as noise. You may gain a little bit here and there but it's not like throwing an exhaust on a turbo car and gaining 20 hp.

Up to you if the $300 is worth it.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by jazzhands68
ya know, not to get hostile. but some of the comments in here are the reason people are hesitant to post things on this forum.

hehe, this forum is VERY friendly compared to the ones I'm used to. After spending years on the purist-minded M3 forums, the flaming on here is very mild.

Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Bottom line though, you're not going to be making any signifigant power increases with bolt-ons with either engine, and the $300 you're talking about will show up mostly as noise. You may gain a little bit here and there but it's not like throwing an exhaust on a turbo car and gaining 20 hp.

Fixed

Old 06-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
reminds me of this...

why pay $300 when it can be done for only $50?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
reminds me of this...

why pay $300 when it can be done for only $50?

It's true that you could make an intake for $50 that looks like that tattoo in comparison to a $300 intake and it'd probably do the same exact thing. That's actually a really good analogy.

There just isn't much usable power to be found without digging into internals. Honda probably got tired of kids hanging whale peni on their motors and decided to make an efficient factory intake setup.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Yep this is the answer I'm going with.

I put in a K&N filter in my stock box two weeks after I got my new Fit. A little grumble and will save me money over the years by not having to purchase filters from the dealer.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:37 PM
but for what it is... the $50 DIY short ram works. there are things you can get away with going frugal... not all things. the route you're taking on you build also dictates your modding decisions.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Well then. Of the 82 posts (and counting) on this thread I am responsible for 5 of them. The first was my question. The second was a clarification. The third was my decision. The fourth was a comment. And sadly the 5th was useless.

The rest of the thread is sad.

In the end I did get my answer. Adding aftermarket intakes and exhausts is a poor investment of money. Most aftermarkets parts are.

Actually I have noticed that there is nothing really new on this site at all. It is not really a community that I wish to participate in much since the majority of the members who mod their Fits are doing so based on a style that is getting old quite fast.

The only really good looking modified Fits are the GD’s after a suitable body kit has been installed. I have yet to see a 2012 Sport that is better looking after mods.

If someone has a new Fit this site can offer very little. At the very best the majority of mods are a waste of money. At the very worst they could cause a perfectly good warranty to be voided for some repairs. Most fall victim to manufacturers who promise big results and some members are complicit in perpetuating these myths.

I have done changes to my Fit that I find appropriate. I certainly do not need the validation from other members of this site.

As for the following members:

Cocowheat
Thos92vr4
DiamondStarMonsters
Mike410b
Vanct
Kgb4187
ThEvilOne
Jamy

I have removed you from my viewing preferences. This means that whatever you post I will no longer see it. Simple and effective. From my short time on this site you do not offer anything substantial anyway. Especially to newcomers. (Secretly I suspect you get your gas money from your mothers). Such is the immaturity you display.

Rest assured I will come back to this site from time to time to get answers to my questions. Having blocked a few members will insure that the answers I get will be quality ones. Flygirl and others I recommend you do the same!

Edit: On further consideration I will be sending a pm to all new members with the list of older members of have proven to be problematic or hostile to newcomers with instructions on how to block them. That should make their experience on FitFreak just that much better! And feel free to send me a PM with other names you feel should be on my ban list and I will add it for other newcomers.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 06-28-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Mods lock this please

Old 06-29-2012, 03:57 PM
sam
Super Moderator
Arrow Where have all the off-topic posts gone - answer here

Feel free to visit https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/wast...ss-banter.html though it is of no actual value

Though this is perhaps a somewhat insightful digression on the digression that was cleansed from the thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/off-...ml#post1111279

Note: another mod/admin may want to merge or move the entire thread. Just not feeling it myself today since I've invested in all that off-topic movement and stylization.

Last edited by sam; 06-29-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: 2nd wash cycle completed