2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Shut off the back hatch light all you have to do is.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Banned
To Shut off the back hatch light all you have to do is.......

Close the latch mechanism itself and you can have the hatch up without the annoying light on. My kid likes to play in the back of the car with the hatch open so its nice to be able to have that light shut off.

Just have to remember to open the latch back up before putting it down. Thinking about installing a switch.

Last edited by Chad T; 07-21-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:16 AM

Old 07-21-2012, 01:27 AM
I would like to contribute a small fraction of my super problem deducing skills as well.

Ahem.

To stop the annoying seat belt dinging, you simply............put on your seatbelt.

you're all welcome.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Chad T
Just have to remember to open the latch back up before putting it down. Thinking about installing a switch.
FWIW, somewhere on here there's a diy about swapping out the light assembly with one from another model that includes a switch on the light.

That said, I would just go ahead and buy an LED light for the hatch area. You can (or at least I have) leave that running for days and still have the car start.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Banned
Thanks malraux! Most excellent. Found the part #

34265-SFE-003 LENS $11.41

Needed to order some oil filters so got one of these too. Looks to be a direct swap.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Regardless I also recommend the led swap as well. Puts out a lot more light. Especially if you are already pulling the area apart.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Chad just to be clear are you saying that light has a switch? As in you push the lens to turn on/off? Is it possible with that switch to inadvertently leave the light on when the car is off? If that's not a danger this would be something I'd like; I often would like to leave the hatch up for longer than a few minutes.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Hey Chad just to be clear are you saying that light has a switch? As in you push the lens to turn on/off? Is it possible with that switch to inadvertently leave the light on when the car is off? If that's not a danger this would be something I'd like; I often would like to leave the hatch up for longer than a few minutes.
The light will turn off when you close the hatch. I have the same switch. I also changed the bulb to LED while I was at it. The lens looks exactly like the original right down to the connector, except there is a small white rocker switch on the front surface. I use it mainly to turn off the light when I leave the hatch open for long periods. If you leave the switch on the "ON" position, the light will turn off when you close the hatch, just like the original version.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by fujisawa
read rampo's post please..

Originally Posted by Rampo
The light will turn off when you close the hatch. I have the same switch. I also changed the bulb to LED while I was at it. The lens looks exactly like the original right down to the connector, except there is a small white rocker switch on the front surface. I use it mainly to turn off the light when I leave the hatch open for long periods. If you leave the switch on the "ON" position, the light will turn off when you close the hatch, just like the original version.
Good deal that's what I wanted to hear. Can't wait to get the switchable deal in the mail.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks malraux! Most excellent. Found the part #

Needed to order some oil filters so got one of these too. Looks to be a direct swap.

With shipping and handling from hkhondaparts.com its $26!

Old 07-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kgb4187
With shipping and handling from hkhondaparts.com its $26!
Majestic honda. ordered it with some oil filters. Yes you get beat up on shipping ordering one small part.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cocowheat
Are you done? I didn't mean any disrespect in any way shape or form.

I thought we were all joking.

Let's be real, all your original post said was, "you close the hatch. Lol"
Whoa... What we have here is a failure to communicate. What he was ORIGINALLY saying is not to close the hatch, its to make the car think its closed. If you take a screwdriver and shove it in the latch on the door, the car will think is down and the light will shut off. The only thing to be wary of is you have to pull the handle again before you actually shut the hatch or it won't latch.

@chad, there are trolls that are very annoying, and I know how you feel. I've stayed out of threads on here because of them, but yelling at them usually eggs them on. I don't think coco meant it the way you took it tho.

As far as the lens w the switch, it's out of an Acura mdx. Been waiting to order it for a while now. And x2 on the LED! Got some from jdmtoy and they rock!

Old 07-22-2012, 01:09 AM
^ thank you for understanding. His original post was pretty short and seem humorous. I'm sorry if what I wrote offended you. But an apology and explanation is all I'm entitle to give.

So if you found it that offensive, and are still bitter that's your business.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:34 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Cocowheat
I'm sorry if what I wrote offended you. But an apology and explanation is all I'm entitle to give.

So if you found it that offensive, and are still bitter that's your business.
Not that offensive. That's what's so offensive about it. Apology + not deleting lame insult post=shitty apology

Last edited by Chad T; 07-27-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Totally over it
Old 07-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Just have to remember to open the latch back up before putting it down.
Back to topic.
Pay attention to this warning. I had another car I frequently did this to turn off the light. After the third or fourth time forgetting and banging the hatch down hard on the lock mechanism I gave up and installed a switch.

Order the Honda part listed with switch. Easy five minute install. Price probably higher from your local dealer but not paying shipping will save you on total cost.

_

Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Good info and very helpful for me.I noticed right away I could not switch off the light in the hatch area like on my Accord wagon.

I will pick up the light with switch along with L.E.D.
I will admit I searched for a bit when I first got my Fit for a switch to turn that light off lol

Thanks Chad I can do the latch deal in the mean time

Old 07-24-2012, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
My boyfriend and I hit the Drive-In recently, and watched by folding down the magic seats and leaving the hatch up. The biggest annoyance through the whole movie was that light being on. I'll have to order that part once all my moving chaos has settled.

Now just to work out how to reverse the channels on the stereo so that when we're facing the back of the car, we still get the stereo channels where they belong. Rough idea is to just get a little pocket radio, and make an 1/8" patch cable with the channels reversed.

Thank you for this thread. ^_^

Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Banned
DeathKitten,

You make me wish I had a cooler username.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Banned
Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
Disturbed by what? Serious question.

Quick Reply: To Shut off the back hatch light all you have to do is.......