2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FreePower Throttle Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
The voltage curve provided by gas pedal movement is read by the ECU which interprets this and sends a signal to the stepper motor on the throttle. The ECU also looks at other variables (I won't pretend to know what these are), but I bet they include engine temperature, revolutions, and whatever the vehicle stability assist sensors are telling it.

All an aftermarket ETC can do is modify the voltage curve from what the gas pedal sensor provides on its own. I.E. half pedal equals full throttle when the device is active. It's not magic, doesn't bypass the ECU and manipulate the throttle directly. All it does is change (increase/decrease) the amount of throttle called for based on the position of the pedal.

Personally I use a device called a foot (along with some brain) for this.

I don't think you know what lag is. Any latency (time it takes for throttle response based on pedal movement) would be the same or greater with another device physically between the pedal and the ECU. Your brain is telling you it's faster when it's just giving more throttle than what you're used to.

It's not rocket science, Karl. Simple logic. Kinda like putting gas in a lawn mower to make to go.
Nope...that still doesn't explain where my lag went, try again

Old 08-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Subjective measurements are subjective. It's hard to see objectively how something that just manipulates the gas pedal can make the motor on the throttle plate more powerful.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YouKantPimpInaKIA
Nope...that still doesn't explain where my lag went, try again
I got into this same situation of having a know nothing fool try to tell me that my ECT didn't do away with the throttle lag issue... It's possibly the same guy giving you a hard time...Yeah it is.. Don't feed the trolls...

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 08-05-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
Subjective measurements are subjective. It's hard to see objectively how something that just manipulates the gas pedal can make the motor on the throttle plate more powerful.
The next time I am able I'll hook up a volt meter to the connection on the throttle body on my car and see what it reads with and without the electronic throttle controller.... I don't know how my laptop does what it does but it does it or we wouldn't be here.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The next time I am able I'll hook up a volt meter to the connection on the throttle body on my car and see what it reads with and without the electronic throttle controller.... I don't know how my laptop does what it does but it does it or we wouldn't be here.
Well, the scan gauge should be able to prove it as well, depending on how fast it gathers data. Commanded throttle possition is a data value you can get from the ecu. If there is a lag without the TC then that should lag the pedal possition value.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
Well, the scan gauge should be able to prove it as well, depending on how fast it gathers data. Commanded throttle possition is a data value you can get from the ecu. If there is a lag without the TC then that should lag the pedal possition value.
The throttle position percentage readouts on both my ScanGauge and the throttle controller as well as the tachometer show no sign of rev hang or lag... In the SP modes the effect it has is like a fast opening cable actuated throttle... The engine revs up immediately.. In the EC mode you have to wait for the revs to climb before letting out the clutch pedal even if the throttle pedal is on the floor, much like it does when the controller is in the off position but more so... Short of spending $5000 on a supercharger the only things you can do to a Fit to improve performance is to install ultra light wheels and lighter tires, flywheel, crank pulley and an electronic throttle controller...

Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
I remember the Fit throttle body being very touchy at cruise. My Civic throttle body is not as touchy and adjusts to different fuel. It makes sense that there is two data points in voltage and the ETC can control them better. The same thing happens to the coils, meaning there is a low and high voltage which the coil can discharge any where in between and if the fuel air is not right then you have a misfire.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Glenn, did you put a throttle spring on your FIT like Polaski did the DIY on... I could never relax my foot on the throttle pedal until I did that fix to mine. I would inadvertently pick up speed on long drives and get bad cramps in my lower leg muscles...

Old 08-05-2012, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Glenn, did you put a throttle spring on your FIT like Polaski did the DIY on... I could never relax my foot on the throttle pedal until I did that fix to mine. I would inadvertently pick up speed on long drives and get bad cramps in my lower leg muscles...
No but I would have if I knew what I do now. I could get 47 mpg with the scan gauge on the way to work and only get 40 on the way home. It drove me crazy the big fluctuations in mpg. I also would have used regular semi-synthetic oil because I blame M1 for the fluctuations due to temperature variables and oil consumption.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
No but I would have if I knew what I do now. I could get 47 mpg with the scan gauge on the way to work and only get 40 on the way home. It drove me crazy the big fluctuations in mpg. I also would have used regular semi-synthetic oil because I blame M1 for the fluctuations due to temperature variables and oil consumption.
I have told you guys up there about high ambient temperature killing gas mileage figures... Use the scan gauge to monitor ignition timing throttle position and intake air temperature when sitting in traffic.. You'll see how badly the heat affects the timing and how much more throttle you use... I'm going to hit the sack... I was awake all night on another website reading about how we have been manipulated by fear comfort and security to have us give up our rights as citizens so corporations can control every part of our lives...

Old 08-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Crazy I can't get more than 35mpg

Old 08-05-2012, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
The throttle position percentage readouts on both my ScanGauge and the throttle controller as well as the tachometer show no sign of rev hang or lag... In the SP modes the effect it has is like a fast opening cable actuated throttle... The engine revs up immediately.. In the EC mode you have to wait for the revs to climb before letting out the clutch pedal even if the throttle pedal is on the floor, much like it does when the controller is in the off position but more so... Short of spending $5000 on a supercharger the only things you can do to a Fit to improve performance is to install ultra light wheels and lighter tires, flywheel, crank pulley and an electronic throttle controller...
You forgot premium gas, the easiest and cheapest mod. </troll>

But on a serious note, your throttle hang did not disappear with the ETC. It's the aftermarket tune that did it. (note to others reading this: he has a GE with supercharger and tune).

Of course the thing revs up faster; it's opening the throttle more than you would on your own. The ETC will open it all the way for you at half pedal. Still don't see the benefit; modulate your foot for best responsiveness.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
I'm tellin ya--it makes a difference. I don't know how it does, but it does.

I've had it, and then not had it while Panson was sending me a new one, and then got it back and was so glad. It's not "faster" it's "peppier".

Old 08-06-2012, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
You forgot premium gas, the easiest and cheapest mod. </troll>

But on a serious note, your throttle hang did not disappear with the ETC. It's the aftermarket tune that did it. (note to others reading this: he has a GE with supercharger and tune).

Of course the thing revs up faster; it's opening the throttle more than you would on your own. The ETC will open it all the way for you at half pedal. Still don't see the benefit; modulate your foot for best responsiveness.
Who has a GE with supercharger?

Old 08-06-2012, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
I had it on my car before I installed the supercharger and it eliminated the lag when taking off from a stop with the and the rev hang at high RPM... Quit being a bothersome troll Steve.... Until you have practical knowledge you have don't have a clue as to what is coming out of your mouth... Express your opinions about things you have actual knowledge about like being a pain in the ass troll.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:29 PM
I use both a scan gauge and electronic throttle controller on my Fit... You will need to get an OBD2 spitter cable that has one male and 2 separate cables and female connectors... The ECT has a throttle position readout.. I monitor ignition advance, intake air temperature and water temperature on the scangauge almost all of the time.. The UltraGauge sounds like it's great and has more features, some that I can't use on my GD3.Amazon.com: OBDII Splitter Y Cable, J1962M to 2-J1962F, 1ft (145802): Automotive
Well, thanks again, TC! I didn't even notice the link you included - didn't have my bifocals on. I assume this is the one you utilize?

Old 08-06-2012, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
I had it on my car before I installed the supercharger and it eliminated the lag when taking off from a stop with the and the rev hang at high RPM... Quit being a bothersome troll Steve.... Until you have practical knowledge you have don't have a clue as to what is coming out of your mouth... Express your opinions about things you have actual knowledge about like being a pain in the ass troll.

Nice post Dog. Let me refresh your memory:

Originally Posted by doctordoom
Do any of you actually have an electronic throttle controller, or are you all just arguing based on your infallible logic?

I've had an electronic throttle controller, it does not help reduce throttle lag/hang. All it does is alter how the throttle perceives the gas pedal position. For example, it can trick the throttle into reading a floored pedal when in reality, you're only pressing the pedal halfway. However, the throttle still responds only as quickly as when you slam the pedal to the floor as fast as you can.

It doesn't accelerate the signal to the throttle. It doesn't lighten your flywheel for a faster engine response. It's just a piggyback that alters the throttle signal, Steve244 is right.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EQB356
Well, thanks again, TC! I didn't even notice the link you included - didn't have my bifocals on. I assume this is the one you utilize?
They are all the sane in function.. I got mine 2nd hand....

Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by goobers
who has a ge with supercharger?
tc........

Old 08-06-2012, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
tc........
R u sure 'bout dat?

Cause last I checked, he has a GD.

Quick Reply: FreePower Throttle Controller