2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FreePower Throttle Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 PM
FreePower Throttle Controller

Question regarding the throttle controller. Does this controller only change the relationship of the pedal vs. the throttle plate or does it change the speed in which the throttle plate is opened?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by '12Fit
Question regarding the throttle controller. Does this controller only change the relationship of the pedal vs. the throttle plate or does it change the speed in which the throttle plate is opened?
All the throttle controller does is manipulate the signal going from the gas pedal to the ecu. If you push the pedal to 25%, the TC will convert that to 15% or 35%. I guess it opens the throttle plate a bit faster because you can tell it that when you push the throttle to 50% that you really mean 100%, so it opens that much faster (ie in the time it takes to push from 0 to 50 rather than the time it takes to push from 0-100).

That said, it doesn't do anything to the ecu or the throttle plate mechanism. I could see some specialized applications in racing high powered cars in changing conditions where sometimes you want to easily be able to get to full power as quickly as possible (dry and good tires) to having a bit more sensitivity before getting to that point (wet/worn tires). I just don't see it as anything more than a gadget for the fit.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Some info with a couple videos:

Why Should I Add a Throttle Controller?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
from the link:

The I-throttle controller will basically bypass the computer in the vehicle. The controller is designed to take the information right from the accelerator pedal position sensor and compile it in a high speed controller circuit. It also slightly advances that number and then sends it directly to the computer through the OBDII port located under the driver’s side knee bolster. By sending the information to the computer this way a couple of checks can be bypassed that the ECM (engine computer) will make before sending the signal to open the throttle plate. With this controller you have several different programming options; however the throttle response timing will be noticeably faster. Check out these two videos on the installation and programming and set up of the controller.
I'm afraid this is nonsense. Scary nonsense. Malraux is correct.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 PM
So does the throttle controller simply add or reduce the percentage relationship from the pedal to the throttle plate?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Yes. The signal from the accelerator sensor is voltage. All a controller could do is increase or decrease this signal. You could use percentage to express this.

No way can it "bypass the computer in the vehicle."

Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 PM
I don't know about the FreePower Throttle Controller, but the D1 Spec Version 3.5 Throttle Controller got rid of the delay I had when taking off, it felt like a hesitation....but it wasn't, it was a delay from the time the TB reacted to my foot moving the pedal, say what you will, best mod to date

Old 08-02-2012, 11:10 PM
I was concerned as well about the part where the author says that the controller bypasses the computer. He does clarify his meaning in the next statement when he says (and I am paraphrasing here) that the controller "slightly advances the throttle position and delivers that information to the ECU. The ECU then gives the order to the open/close the throttle plate."

It would be a mistake to think that the ETC bypasses the ECU altogether. Would show a clear lack of understanding about the role of the ECU as it relates to engine operation.

Only one thing sticks in my mind and needs clarification is when the author states that the ETC "bypasses a few checks and therefore increases responsiveness"

I surely would like to know what those are! I suspect the author is going word of mouth from the manufacturer on that one. I call BS.

I've had one of these gizmos fail on me already this year and yanked mine out. I don't miss it one bit. Added a PRM intake....way more fun.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 08-02-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
I was concerned as well about the part where the author says that the controller bypasses the computer. He does clarify his meaning in the next statement when he says (and I am paraphrasing here) that the controller "slightly advances the throttle position and delivers that information to the ECU. The ECU then gives the order to the open/close the throttle body."

It would be a mistake to think that the ETC bypasses the ECU altogether. Would show a clear lack of understanding about the role of the ECU as it relates to engine operation.

Only one thing sticks in my mind and needs clarification is when the author states that the ETC "bypasses a few checks and therefore increases responsiveness"

I surely would like to know what those are! I suspect the author is going word of mouth from the manufacturer on that one. I call BS.

I've had one of these gizmos fail on me already this year and yanked mine out.
If you look at the maker of the porduct's web page, its just another TC that plugs in between the pedal and the ecu; it does plug into the OBDII port, but given that it's only pulling two wires out, it's gotta be for electrical power. There's no fancy stuff going on, just manipulating voltages. That page you linked to was just a bunch of advertising bs and confusion.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:21 PM
You are mistaken if you think I meant that the ETC did anything but alter the voltage sent to the ECU.

When mine failed, that was the cause of my engine fault light. Voltages out of range. Sent my car into a fail-safe mode.

Like I said....yanked it glad it's gone. Not recommended.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 PM
You are mistaken if you think I meant that the ETC did anything but alter the voltage sent to the ECU.

When mine failed, that was the cause of my engine fault light. Voltages out of range. Sent my car into a fail-safe mode.

Like I said....yanked it glad it's gone. Not recommended.
That page you linked to did say a bunch of stuff, including that TC can speed up the throttle plate response by bypassing the ecu. You might know its wrong, but you sure as heck tossed out a garbage cite.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YouKantPimpInaKIA
I don't know about the FreePower Throttle Controller, but the D1 Spec Version 3.5 Throttle Controller got rid of the delay I had when taking off, it felt like a hesitation....but it wasn't, it was a delay from the time the TB reacted to my foot moving the pedal, say what you will, best mod to date
I know many here swear by them, but it cannot alter the signal from the PCM to the throttle motor. All it can do is alter the signal from the pedal sensor. Unless it reads your mind it can't react "faster," just "more" (or "less"). I can see how this would be perceived as faster, but other than fooling your mind I don't see the benefit, however entertaining. You might shave a couple hundredths of a second 0-60 for the time you save not having to fully depress the gas pedal.

What it can do, as Dwalbert points out, is mess up your car, perhaps making it difficult to control (it does have a defeat function that hooks up to the backup light, right?).

Last edited by Steve244; 08-02-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: tired, I guess...
Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 PM
I am sorry but I have just re-read the article to make sure and nowhere does it say that the ETC opens the throttle plate bypassing the ECU.

The article has a good video that describes the working relationship between the pedal / ECU / and the throttle plate.

My only concern with the article is where the author states that a few checks are bypassed when the ETC sends the altered voltages directly to the ECU.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 08-02-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
I am sorry but I have just re-read the article to make sure and nowhere does it say that the ETC opens the throttle plate bypassing the ECU.

The article has a good video that describes the working relationship between the pedal / ECU / and the throttle plate.

My only concern with the article is where the author states that a few checks are bypassed when the ETC sends the altered voltages directly to the ECU.
First sentence:

"The I-throttle controller will basically bypass the computer in the vehicle."

Where he states "a few checks are bypassed" is utter nonsense. He's saying the device hacks the car's computer (ECU or PCM) real-time.

Last edited by Steve244; 08-02-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:59 PM
We've been through that already|! The very next sentence clarifies his meaning. He says in a lot of really boring words that the ETC sends altered voltages to the computer then to the throttle plate.

The only thing I fault the author is when he says that a couple of checks aren't being done by the ECU when using the ETC...Well what the hell are they? is my question.

The rest might be badly written...but it's not all bad.

I'm starting to think you two are trying to get me irritated! LOL...well enough for one night, time for bed. Anybody a fool enough to put this gizmo in his car (Guilty, I did , me included) well....There isn't a well enough written article to dissuade them. Because then we'd all be HaTeRz....

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 08-03-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
We've been through that already|! The very next sentence clarifies his meaning. He says in a lot of really boring words that the ETC sends altered voltages to the computer then to the throttle plate.

The only thing I fault the author is when he says that a couple of checks aren't being done by the ECU when using the ETC...Well what the hell are they? is my question.

I'm starting to think you two are trying to get me irritated! LOL...well enough for one night. Anybody a fool enough to put this gizmo in his car (me included) well....There isn't a well enough written article to dissuade them. Because then we'd all be HaTeRz....
Sigh... no not trying to irritate you.

But bullshit is bullshit. The author of that explanation is full of it.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
The answer to the man's question is that it opens the the throttle faster and the relationship of the throttle pedal position to the throttle plate.... It is very much like the quick throttles that were used by motorcycle riders 40 years ago in function... If installed correctly there is not much chance at all that it will malfunction.. If there is a problem it can be remedied by correcting what is wrong or if you got it from Panson and the unit is messed up he'll make it right.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:40 AM

No, it is all bad. Are there any sentences in this paragraph that are truthful?
The I-throttle controller will basically bypass the computer in the vehicle. It doesn't bypass the ecu, just intercepts the signal. The controller is designed to take the information right from the accelerator pedal position sensor and compile it in a high speed controller circuit.Compile isn't really a the right word here. It's a simple lookup function. It also slightly advances that number and then sends it directly to the computer through the OBDII port located under the driver’s side knee bolster. It only uses the OBDII port to get powerBy sending the information to the computer this way a couple of checks can be bypassed that the ECM (engine computer) will make before sending the signal to open the throttle plate. It doesn't bypass those checks. At best, I would assume that the device is sending the same value for both sensors, ensuring that the ecu can't detect a fault because of a difference. Regardless, the ecu is still doing the checkWith this controller you have several different programming options; however the throttle response timing will be noticeably faster. Given that some of the programs are designed to slow throttle response to pedal input...Check out these two videos on the installation and programming and set up of the controller.At least on my computer, the link to the proper two videos are missing; you have to go to the manufacturer's webpage to get those videos.
Every single statement there was wrong or flawed.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Most definitely bad information. I don't even have my Pivot TC connected to the OBD2 port at this time, I hardwired it to the 12V output instead since my OBD2WiFi thing is plugged into the OBD2 port.

This is one bad thing with the Internet, people can just write whatever they want and somebody is going to read it and take it as gospel and then continue passing along bogus information.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
I've been using an obd2 cable that facilitates the use of my scangauge and TC.. It's a little bulky but it has been working out well for me.

Quick Reply: FreePower Throttle Controller