2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Mat: Yea or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by RiNkY
The coverking is here waiting to install, wasn't high on my list of priorities this weekend as I was also out car shopping for a replacement vehicle myself. The Fit being my wifes vehicle.

I took it out of the box and it looks well made. As long as it molds to the shape of the dash correctly and the cut outs are in the right places for the Speakers and the fit is good, then I think it will look better than the haters in this thread will be willing to admit!

I will post some pics once it's in. Wife is at work until 9 today tho, so it's not getting installed today.
Looking forward to seeing them! Maybe I'll go with the CoverKing then! What color/material did you get?

Old 08-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Ordered mine through Costco - https://utilities.coverking.com/cost...costco_sku=CK2

We went with the Charcoal Velour and I think the color will match v.nice. I'm considering having i-VTECH SOHC embroidered about where the passenger airbag flap is

Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Ordered mine through Costco - https://utilities.coverking.com/cost...costco_sku=CK2

We went with the Charcoal Velour and I think the color will match v.nice. I'm considering having i-VTECH SOHC embroidered about where the passenger airbag flap is
Oh no shit? That is the same dash mat I'm considering as well. Since I already have CoverKing Charcoal Velour seatcovers! Which look great, except for where some of the material is matted down in the drivers seat, they're awesome covers! I think I'm gonna go with that mat! The Charcoal is really cool, it's not exactly gray, it has like a purple/brown hue to it which should match your exterior color naturally!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Can't wait to see pics...as I have grey leather CoverKing seat covers on order, and am STILL waffling over a dashmat.

Paul H

Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Banned

Ooh! Watch out! If you post a dash mat photo, "Kool and the Gang" here on the forums will send out the "Fitfreak Fashion Police" to write you up an "Uncool Fit Citation". Can you possibly live with that amount of shame??????

Old 08-27-2012, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
Ooh! Watch out! If you post a dash mat photo, "Kool and the Gang" here on the forums will send out the "Fitfreak Fashion Police" to write you up an "Uncool Fit Citation". Can you possibly live with that amount of shame??????
I'll hop in on that.

Don't knock Kool and the Gang, that's some great music.

and the Fashion Police? Everyone loves a FABULOUS car.

WALL of SHAME.... WALL OF SHAME!!!!

~SB

Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 PM
I ended up getting the same one! Will post pics as well if it will let me upload it.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 PM
I don't really care about shame, but after the initial fit I'm not 100% happy with it to be quite honest. With all the speaker / vent holes lined up it seems to hang too far forward, so overhangs the center vents / gauge cluster.

I think I will actually send it back to Costco for a refund as that makes it look like $hit!

Plus the color is way lighter than I would consider 'Charcoal'

Name:  60D164.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  179.5 KB
Name:  60D163.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  163.6 KB
Name:  60D162.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  170.0 KB
Name:  60D160.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  156.1 KB

Last edited by RiNkY; 08-27-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for posting the photos. Definitely not charcoal, but more regular grey. A darker color might look better, carpet might also lie better than the velour, but not sure. I think the dash on the Fit is so large that a dash mat looks odd. I do not like the way it fits over the speedometer and gauges

Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 PM
I also want to thank for the posted dashmat pictures. I started this thread a while back, and have gone back and forth over ordering one. My decision is now made, my dash will stay naked. I have a swiffer duster in my driver door pocket so can easily dust the dash as soon as I see anything on it, and I also bought the largest windshield sun shield known to man, which works amazingly well at preventing temp buildup, as at home the Fit sits in a shadeless california sun drenched driveway. The windshield sunshield is also very easy to put in place...I unroll it one handed and it is fitted so well it easily goes into place, including covering the 2 small front quarter windows. I don't really need to push it in front of my rear view mirror, and hardly have to lower the shades to keep it in place. (Unfortunately removing and rolling it up with only one good hand is another matter, but I manage.)

So for me, dashmat turns out to be a "no", but it took seeing the actual pictures to come to that decision.

Paul H

Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 PM
I agree that the dash is actually too big in these little cars for the dash mat to work and look good and will be returning it to Costco for a refund. Lets hope the dash holds up to the AZ Heat!

Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 AM
I agree that the dash is actually too big in these little cars for the dash mat to work and look good and will be returning it to Costco for a refund. Lets hope the dash holds up to the AZ Heat!
Uh ohhhh I just got that same one, but I'll tell you, that does NOT match my Charcoal covers one bit! I think they sent you a light gray mat! I am also not impressed with the way that hangs, I'm starting to think I should have got the black. Oh well, I'll find out when I get it, and I will post pics as well! If I don't like it I too will return mine!

Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Banned
Read the instructions again. The mat has to sit in the heat for a day or two to relax the wrinkles, and it needs to be tucked down just behind the windshield glass- also needs the Velcro tabs to be put in place. If installed correctly, the fit is exact (at least for the carpet version- can't say from experience with the velour because I wanted a heavier material).

Whether you use a mat in your car or not makes absolutely no difference to me, but nothing works the way it is supposed to if it is not installed correctly.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
Here is a link to another source for a molded dash cover from Coverking.. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...art:Dash+Cover)

Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Read the instructions again. The mat has to sit in the heat for a day or two to relax the wrinkles, and it needs to be tucked down just behind the windshield glass- also needs the Velcro tabs to be put in place. If installed correctly, the fit is exact (at least for the carpet version- can't say from experience with the velour because I wanted a heavier material).

Whether you use a mat in your car or not makes absolutely no difference to me, but nothing works the way it is supposed to if it is not installed correctly.
I've installed 3 or 4 of these in my time and it is tucked under the windshield and positioned so the 2 speaker holes and vent holes are aligned, with all of the velcro tabs stuck down. As this is my wifes car the final decision went to her - as she was the one who wanted the thing after being horribly upset when the dash cracked in her last car. She wants to keep it - so keep it we shall.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
At least, the lighter color will stay cooler than the black dash.
I'd like to see photos of dash mats in other colors installed. I know those older dashes made of softer vinyl used to crack.Since the Fit's is hard plastic, I wonder if it could crack?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:30 AM
I didn't see a molded mat, I'm pretty sure there isn't one available because I really looked before I decided to buy my charcoal velour mat

Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by sooznd
At least, the lighter color will stay cooler than the black dash.
I'd like to see photos of dash mats in other colors installed. I know those older dashes made of softer vinyl used to crack.Since the Fit's is hard plastic, I wonder if it could crack?
I've wondered the same thing myself. I know in the older Hondas, especially the Accords would never crack. The most cars I've seen dashes crack are Dodges and GMs......(naturally, lol) Hard plastic may be less prone to cracking since it's a little bit thicker than a vinyl layer. I think the dash would be fine if you didn't use harsh interior cleaners and if you lived in a hot climate, maybe a dash mat would be good. Honda may have put a cheaper dash in but I don't see a company like that putting in a dash that the sun would oxidize and crack.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:25 PM
I recently purchased some rear seatcovers from a distributor site to match my front ones, and they had a different color, feel, and look and this is what sent them, and what they sent me as a reply, I still don't know if I believe them.
Andrew White wrote:
Hello,
I recently bought your rear seat covers for my 2012 Honda Fit Base, 60/40 split w/removable headrests, in Charcoal Velour. I bought the same seat covers for the front bucket seat directly from the CoverKing website, and the ones I got from CarCoverUSA are not the same style Charcoal covers at all, there is definitely a problem with the way they were made. Here's an example on the headrest, the seatcovers have a different material, like a cheaper, rougher velour, that also has a lighter color to it. The elastic binding is the right material, it matches my front seat covers I bought, but the rest of the cover is completely different. What is the reason for this?

And the next picture will show what the ones I bought from CoverKing look like, notice how the binding is the same and the actual seat material, but not the same as the rest of the cover?

I will be returning my seatcovers for a refund, is it possible to get the correct seatcovers? Thank You.
-Andrew.

Hello
we CarCoverUSA dont make seat covers, we sell the Coverking brand seat covers at a discount
so these are the exact same seat covers Coverking sells direct, except you bought them at a discount price from us.
I have no info on your coverking order so dont know what material or color you ordered from them
The only reason for different material / color is you ordered at different times.
Seat covers ordered together are always same material & color
If you order separately there is no guarentee they will be the same material & color as Coverking buys material in bulk
and once a roll is done, they start a new one and the color & material can be different, they may even be from a different manufacturer or country
For example Velour gray from one company may & most likely be slightly different from Velour gray that coverking buys from a differnet vendor
Coverking makes the seat covers but buys the material
The only way you will get a matching front & rear set is to order them at the same time
If you do return Coverking chargs a 15% restocking fee on all returns of custom made to order covers
Let us know and we will get you a return # for th eones bought from us
and you will than need a separate return # for the ones bought from Coverking
thank you

Old 09-09-2012, 01:22 AM
I recently got my mat too, also came out about the same and matches my rear seatcovers that don't match the front. Whatever I've learned to live with them both, I'm not going to lose money over this and pay the 15% restocking fee, and I'm happy enough with it anyways.

Quick Reply: Dash Mat: Yea or Nay?