2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 fit stalling in drive when first started

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 12:35 PM
2008 fit stalling in drive when first started

2008 honda fit sport 116,000 miles only stalls in drive and only when first started after it has been driven say 3 miles it is good. Say when I leave house and stop at sign it dies crank back and drive a little further its good for rest of trip. Then say I leave it off for 3 hours same scenario and it is worse when air is on. We have changed plugs and took it to dealer they say there getting a misfire on all 4 cylinders and needs all 4 ignition coils replaced. No check engine lights have been displayed, we took off all ignition coils cleaned boots no excessive wear and put dielectric grease on them same problem need your help, they want $832 to do work at honda I know we could do a lot cheaper but I'm afraid it could be fixed with a valve adjustment and don't want to throw good money away. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-11-2012, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
It kinda sounds like your not letting it warm up.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Never had to let it warm up. This problem started happening about 6 months ago.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by joey_fits
It kinda sounds like your not letting it warm up.
It can warm up while driving. Cold idling shouldn't be a requirement to keep an engine from stalling.

I say get a valve adjustment if you haven't already, since it's due at ~100k miles anyway. It could be that the valve clearances are out of range when the engine is cold, so properly adjusting them might do the trick.

I had a rough cold idle before I adjusted mine. It never stalled, but it wasn't smooth when the engine was cold.

Last edited by doctordoom; 08-11-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by melissaland
2008 honda fit sport 116,000 miles only stalls in drive and only when first started after it has been driven say 3 miles it is good. Say when I leave house and stop at sign it dies crank back and drive a little further its good for rest of trip. Then say I leave it off for 3 hours same scenario and it is worse when air is on. We have changed plugs and took it to dealer they say there getting a misfire on all 4 cylinders and needs all 4 ignition coils replaced. No check engine lights have been displayed, we took off all ignition coils cleaned boots no excessive wear and put dielectric grease on them same problem need your help, they want $832 to do work at honda I know we could do a lot cheaper but I'm afraid it could be fixed with a valve adjustment and don't want to throw good money away. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you have water in your gas tank. If you've used cheap fuel, or happened to get the bottom of the tank (the station tank, not yours) when refueling, then it's probable and extremely likely to get water in your fuel.

Go to an auto parts store, get some gas treatment that's safe for your car (tell them what problem you're having so they'll know which brand treatment to give you), pour that treatment into your tank and watch your problems go away. The treatment will evaporate the water.

Try my recommendation before you allow the dealer to suck money out of you!!!

You can't lose... even if it's not your problem the treatment won't hurt, and will help in other ways. It's a cheap fix compared to everything else.

I would almost be willing to bet that's what your problem is. Been there... done that!

Good luck! Let us know if the above worked, or what you did regardless.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:03 PM
First thing my husband did six months ago when problem occured was to put a valvoline product in for gas treatment. Didnt improve
at all. Should have mentioned in my first post.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Went out and took notes this time okay even in park and even after cold sensor goes off it runs at 1000 rpms in idle and about every 4 seconds it would idle rough and sound like it wanted to shut off but then try to clear up. Is it valve adjustment or coil packs???

Old 08-11-2012, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
You might have better luck posting in the first Gen section, the 08 for north America is still a first Gen (only in japan, did the second Gen come out in 08).

Old 08-13-2012, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by melissaland
First thing my husband did six months ago when problem occured was to put a valvoline product in for gas treatment. Didnt improve
at all. Should have mentioned in my first post.
Well, maybe try 'Gumout' instead? You never know. I've seen Gumout succeed where other fuel/injector cleaners failed miserably.

I would try the cheaper solutions before allowing some dealer (who may be only guessing at the problem) to get you to p!$$ your money away with their service department.

Again, Gumout definitely isn't going to hurt, and can actually help in other ways. Only trying to help.

Again, good luck!

Old 08-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Sounds alot like a MAS sensor is going bad. One of my older vehicles had the same problem in the morning when the air was colder, but no problem at all later in the day after sitting for 8 hours. Change that first (more so if you have a wet filter like a K@N).

Water in your fuel is pretty unlikely, unless you put a hose on the filler neck with the cap removed.

Gumout is a good product, but the best will probably be Seafoam, preferably the Aerosol. Spray a whole can down the throttle body with the throttle opened and running, it will clear out all the passages that could have carbon buildup.

hope that will help you out

Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Have you had the battery tested? Failing batteries can cause similar symptoms.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 PM
just another vote for seafoam...it would clear a host of problems with my ex-CHP BMW motorcycle if I wasn't riding it a lot. Found out about seafoam from BMW motorcycle forums similar to fitfreaks. Paul H
(also a good fuel stabilizer if you're going to be parking your vehicle for awhile.)

Last edited by prhkgh; 08-19-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: minor spelling fix
Old 08-19-2012, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Stalling

Mine was doing the same thing, I ended up adjusting the valves and have had no more stalling problems.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:08 PM
I had the same problem. I have an 09 fit with 30k miles and whenever i would leave my house in the morning, I would drive to the first stop sigh and bam out she went. I also noticed that when I would hit the throttle it was hessitant, so I took it to honda. It needed a valve adjustment, a decarbonization and exhaust work. the poor pickup was due to a leak in my intake manifold. i asked what caused it and I was told that I should put midgrade gas in the engine for the detergents. My daily roundtrip commutre is 120 miles and the crummy gas was screwing up my valves and causing carbonization.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Great news!!!! Finally took Fit to another dealer and told them about other dealer wanting to replace all 4 coilpacks and told them to do a valve adjustment. After having to talk their mechanic out of a fuel pump replacement he called American Honda and they said it was indeed the valves. He charged $ 275 but our Fit runs brand spanking new!!!!! Thanks to all of you who cared to share your advice. This forum is priceless

Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
It is amazing what a dealer will try to sell you before telling you what the real problem is. I hate that! Glad to hear it is fixed though!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Good to know. Thanks for the update! This goes in my goodies tool box!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Have you checked for vacume leaks? Sounds like a problem I had before (with a EK) . A vacume leak will cause high idle when cold or hot. Also it will cause the car to stall when it's cold. once the car is warm it will run without stalling.
This is just my 2cents. I hope you figure it out.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
@V, you should really read the rest of the thread... OP's issue is solved.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in like I said. Just in case another person has this problem. Thanks for your 2 cents.

Quick Reply: 2008 fit stalling in drive when first started