2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn Wire

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
Horn Wire

Anyone know which wire under the dash is the horn wire that connects to the buttons on the wheel. I've read almost every thread about horns here and no one mentions this. I'm assuming I tap into this and run it directly to the relay for aftermarket horns.

Also if I just clipped the horn wire, and ran it directly to my relay. Would the door lock horn still work? I'm guessing so since the alarm sends a separate signal to the horn, not just the horn buttons on the wheel.

Thanks in advance!

- David

Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
no one mentions what the wire is, because no one cares. that is just too complicated.

put the relay, right next to the horn. viola, no need to hunt for the wire, it's right there.

in fact, the reason some people put relays is to also prevent too much current going over the stock wires themselves (frying those wires will mean replacing the ENTIRE ENGINE WIRE HARNESS, not cheap or easy to do), not just to prevent blowing out the fuse.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
no one mentions what the wire is, because no one cares. that is just too complicated.

put the relay, right next to the horn. viola, no need to hunt for the wire, it's right there.

in fact, the reason some people put relays is to also prevent too much current going over the stock wires themselves (frying those wires will mean replacing the ENTIRE ENGINE WIRE HARNESS, not cheap or easy to do), not just to prevent blowing out the fuse.
^^ what goobers said.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Hella Supertones self installer here, no need to look up under the dash.

Purple wire running to factory horn, Clip that as close to the horn as you can to give you plenty to work with. Run a lead from that to the Power wire on a relay, preferably mounted next to your new (im assuming) horn/ horns set up.

The factory alarm will not use your new horns when it is going off, because the Fit actually has 2 separate horns. one for chirp comfimations of the doors being locked and armed, and the horn you just removed which you would use in an everyday setting.

Found that out, purchased a Viper 5704 system, set it up to use my Supertones instead of the lame "keep keep" horn. Good bye baddies.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator
u don't need to clip the horn wire. just unplug the stock horn. take a wire, crimp on a female connector on one end, and a small spade connector on the other end. the female goes to the relay. u take the spade, snip one of the tips, and it will fit into the stock horn plug. wrap it with electrical wire to protect against water. no need to damage stock wiring and u can just replug the stock horn if u ever want to revert back.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:15 AM
^ this is also true. Guess i just like to know for sure its a solid connection. I did have a Male / female end on the relay tho. Auto One (shop i work for ) doesn't warranty an install if Connectors, especially wire taps, are used. Good old Poke and pull with a little solder.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator
yep i had doubts too when i stuck in there, but my Fiamms was like BWAAAHH! so i guess it worked! i bought taps too, but i didn't get to use em at all.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
u don't need to clip the horn wire. just unplug the stock horn. take a wire, crimp on a female connector on one end, and a small spade connector on the other end. the female goes to the relay. u take the spade, snip one of the tips, and it will fit into the stock horn plug. wrap it with electrical wire to protect against water. no need to damage stock wiring and u can just replug the stock horn if u ever want to revert back.
If you're taking this approach be very careful you choose a horn that doesn't over draw current and fry fuses. I did that when I installed my Wolo bad boy. The horn fuse is rated for10 amps and I put a horn on that drew 18 amps. So i fried the horn fuse, which also controls brake lights. >.< Needless to say, I learned my lesson and wired up a relay, haven't had a problem, out of her yet.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
i did mention to use a relay..

Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Damn, last time I post while short of sleep.... XD

Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
s'all good =D

Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red 05
Damn, last time I post while short of sleep.... XD
Oh schnaps... what an idea!

I kid.

*I'm wearing a t-shirt that says "Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer." So I figured, I had to do it sooner or later.