2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:58 PM
leaking valve cover gasket

A month or so ago my wife brought her 2009 fit in for an oil change and they mentioned the valve cover gasket was leaking a little bit. She had the recall work done previously (lost motion spring or whatever it was called) where they apparently had to remove this cover to do the job. I have to think that the leak is probably tied to an error that occurred while doing this job but I don't know how to prove it or at least show some evidence that this is the case. What is the best way to get them to cover this $200+ job? I'd like to be able to catch the dealer on a mistake they made (like maybe they are supposed to use a new gasket and they did not). Can any of you offer any advice on this issue? Thanks!

Old 10-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i would just take it in and tell them you found all this leakage. it wasn't there before the recall work was done.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i would just take it in and tell them you found all this leakage. it wasn't there before the recall work was done.
they were the ones who found it during the last oil change so it's on the records.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Yea sounds like it's their fault.

But here's my suggestion. First take a look at the "leak" for yourself. Wipe off the oil, and then check again a few tanks of gas later and see if there's oil again. There might be no leak at all. Oil could be out there from when they took the valve cover off for the recall work. Some technicians don't bother cleaning up after themselves, so wouldn't bother to wipe the oil off before or after re-installing the valve cover and gasket. And it's no secret, it's in the dealership's best interest to "find problems" with your car and then try to charge you for work (that often doesn't even need to be done). Just make sure there really is a leak before you bother with the next step. A slight leak from the valve cover isn't a pressing matter at all, unless it's pouring and spraying out substantial amounts of oil every day.

If there really is a leak, try to talk to with a manager at the dealership. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to contact Honda directly (not through the dealership) and open a complaint there. They should step up and order the dealership to perform the repair at no cost.

Please keep us updated, and good luck! Hopefully it's not even a leak.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zymo
they were the ones who found it during the last oil change so it's on the records.
so you should've given your stink when they mentioned it... why are you asking us now?

Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
Yea sounds like it's their fault.

But here's my suggestion. First take a look at the "leak" for yourself. Wipe off the oil, and then check again a few tanks of gas later and see if there's oil again. There might be no leak at all. Oil could be out there from when they took the valve cover off for the recall work. Some technicians don't bother cleaning up after themselves, so wouldn't bother to wipe the oil off before or after re-installing the valve cover and gasket. And it's no secret, it's in the dealership's best interest to "find problems" with your car and then try to charge you for work (that often doesn't even need to be done). Just make sure there really is a leak before you bother with the next step. A slight leak from the valve cover isn't a pressing matter at all, unless it's pouring and spraying out substantial amounts of oil every day.

If there really is a leak, try to talk to with a manager at the dealership. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to contact Honda directly (not through the dealership) and open a complaint there. They should step up and order the dealership to perform the repair at no cost.

Please keep us updated, and good luck! Hopefully it's not even a leak.
^^ 2 times on what he said.

Just my 2 cents on the subject...

I'd take a good look at the valve area where the timing chain cover and engine's block meets together. Since its two separate metal castings, its recommended to put RTV silicone on top of the area where they met and if it is not done will likely leak in that area.

Mind you, I'm not saying that is the case... just a possibility.

Last edited by Hootie; 10-04-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:04 AM
so you should've given your stink when they mentioned it... why are you asking us now?
they told my wife when she picked up the car that maybe next service she'd want to do it. I wasn't there.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
they told my wife when she picked up the car that maybe next service she'd want to do it. I wasn't there.
oh... i see. humm... i would've called them... but then again, my dealer overfilled my GE's oil by about a quart and it's still in there over 1k miles and i dont care either. hahaha.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:53 AM
oh... i see. humm... i would've called them... but then again, my dealer overfilled my GE's oil by about a quart and it's still in there over 1k miles and i dont care either. hahaha.
yeah - I'm a busy guy!

Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 PM
can anyone point out to me exactly where I need to be looking? I know this cover will be somewhere on top of the engine but will I need to remove anything to see it? I haven't had a chance to pop the hood yet.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
POST SUm pics plz

Old 10-05-2012, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Here's a random shot of an L15A7 I found in a Google search.

Basically to inspect for oil leaks in your case... I'd follow all along the valve cover (in black) as well as where it meets the timing chain cover (light silver metal) and the block (the darker metal). Again at the point were the timing chain cover and block meets, it is recommend to RTV silicone on the surface of that joint where the valve cover and valve cover gasket makes contact or leaking can occur there.

In addition to that the gasket could have either not been seated or (re)installed correctly, the gasket could have been torn, or the bolts for the valve cover may not have been tightened enough (allowing oil to blow out under the cover and gasket).

Old 10-06-2012, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
As per the FSM, the shop should have put a bead of liquid gasket material when re-installing the valve cover. After that, they should have waited 30min before filling the engine with any oil if necessary, and wait at least 3 hours before running the engine. Since that would have tied up the service bay, most likely they did not do this, and started up the car after the job was completed. I raised this point in a discussion about the LMA recall, and worried that it would lead to leaking valve covers. It looks like it happened in your case. Problem is trying to prove that the dealer is at fault. Good luck.

Here is my previous post: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post975572

Last edited by Olyar15; 10-06-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Look along the red line (only partially drawn) and follow that seam all the way around, looking for oil and wiping off any that is present.

Name:  41745.jpg
Views: 2646
Size:  83.7 KB

Old 10-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Good luck with the repair

Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM
so any of the parts that I'm seeing that might be leaking are pretty well tucked behind stuff so I can't really get at it to clean it up. the left side (which is easy to get to) doesn't seem to be leaking from what I can tell. Would it be leaking all around or just one part?

Old 10-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
It doesn't have to leak uniformly; it could just leak from certain areas around the valve cover.

Your options are: figure out a way to clean it up, have someone help you if you can't do it, or drop the car off somewhere and start paying.

Or just keep an eye on it and see if there's eventually more oil accumulating, dripping down, etc.

Last edited by doctordoom; 10-07-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
It doesn't have to leak uniformly; it could just leak from certain areas around the valve cover.

Your options are: figure out a way to clean it up, have someone help you if you can't do it, or drop the car off somewhere and start paying.

Or just keep an eye on it and see if there's eventually more oil accumulating, dripping down, etc.
What I'm concerned with is if they replace the gaskets that they'll make the same error as last time and it will start to leak again. Does anyone have a source I can show them that explains the proper installation procedure. I noticed in the other thread they need to wait 3 hours before starting the engine. I find it INCREDIBLY unlikely that they would leave the car sitting in the garage at the dealer taking up space for that long.

Okay - I found the service record from the recall work and this is what it says:

43953 PERFORMED RECALL, REMOVED VALVE COVER AND FOUND STAMP CODE 0808210948-AUG 21 2008 WHICH NEED TO HAVE THE MOTION SPRINGS REPLACED. REPLACED MOTION SPRINGS AND RINSTALLED CALVE(sic) COVER. VEHICLE OK AT THIS TIME.

There is one PART# listed for the job which is: 04148-RK8-305 SET, LOST MOTION C

Is a replacement gasket part of this kit? Do they HAVE to replace that gasket when they do this job?

Last edited by zymo; 10-07-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM

Is a replacement gasket part of this kit? Do they HAVE to replace that gasket when they do this job?
Found it - includes the gasket: Honda Fit Lost Motion Spring Recall

So I can at least prove that they were the last ones messing around with the gasket and now it's leaking a little over a year later. Is that not enough to get them to cover the job for me? How long should a gasket last???

Last edited by zymo; 10-07-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
They're a Honda dealership so they have the instructions from Honda. It's up to the technician whether or not he wants to follow the procedures.

I don't remember it saying anywhere in the shop manual to leave the car sitting for 3 hours before starting the engine.

Quick Reply: leaking valve cover gasket