2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cabin air Filter - Car exhaust....?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:27 AM
Cabin air Filter - Car exhaust....?

Hello all,

Hopefully not a stupid question, but I replaced my cabin air filter with an auto zone bought filter and now I seem to get a lot of the car and diesel exhaust smell from the vehicles in front of me. Is it me or was there a charcoal-like layer to the OEM filters...? Didn't seem as prevalent before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

FB

Old 10-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by Fatbrando
Is it me or was there a charcoal-like layer to the OEM filters...?
Bumb for an answer. Very curious!!!!

If nobody answers I will go pull my new one and see. Charcoal filters are grey/silver in appearance. Bosh and other companies make OEM style charcoal activated filters. If I recall correctly their useful lifespan is a matter of months...More expensive....I would be willing to invest in that!

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 10-16-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Most true OEM (in Honda box) cabin filters for Honda do not have any charcoal in them actually. Some ads can be misleading. With that being said, I have seen some aftermarket filters of better quality than OEM. As far as the charcoal filtering diesel fumes, I guess it is possible if it takes some of the soot out. I have never had any luck personally, but then again I normally hurry up and switch to recirculate when I am behind them. I live in a somewhat rural area and always seem to be behind those $##@$% diesel redneck, jacked up, 10 inch exhaust dual exhaust stacks coming through the bed, rebel flag displaying, 40 inch monster mud tire having, james bond soot screen belching, 120 db blow off valve sounding, Cummins Power stickers having, mechanical abortions, driven by some 19 year old who claims to be "country".

Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
FB, don't think the cabin filters have charcoal. They look like a regular furnace filter - for dust and pollen particles only. By the way here's another related thread you might be interested in: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...placement.html

Derek, that's a pretty graphic "country" description you just did... Hey at least with the Fit you could probably peek through the undercarriage instead of driving blind... Oh yeah, no rifle rack?

Last edited by Subie; 10-16-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by derek244
Most true OEM (in Honda box) cabin filters for Honda do not have any charcoal in them actually. Some ads can be misleading. With that being said, I have seen some aftermarket filters of better quality than OEM. As far as the charcoal filtering diesel fumes, I guess it is possible if it takes some of the soot out. I have never had any luck personally, but then again I normally hurry up and switch to recirculate when I am behind them. I live in a somewhat rural area and always seem to be behind those $##@$% diesel redneck, jacked up, 10 inch exhaust dual exhaust stacks coming through the bed, rebel flag displaying, 40 inch monster mud tire having, james bond soot screen belching, 120 db blow off valve sounding, Cummins Power stickers having, mechanical abortions, driven by some 19 year old who claims to be "country".
That perfectly describes the average Alabama southerner....

Old 10-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fatbrando
Hello all,

Hopefully not a stupid question, but I replaced my cabin air filter with an auto zone bought filter and now I seem to get a lot of the car and diesel exhaust smell from the vehicles in front of me. Is it me or was there a charcoal-like layer to the OEM filters...? Didn't seem as prevalent before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

FB
maybe you bumped your air cirulation lever to 'fresh.' move it back to the middle or recirculate when there is a stinky car in front?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Charcoal filter test

There's a big (cattle ranch/feeding station) area here by the freeway (I-5) in northern CA which would be the ultimate charcoal filter test I think. I don't think the Recirc setting will work either. You just hope you have tailwind as you approach and headwind as you pass by...

Old 10-16-2012, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
damn, i can almost smell that just thinking about it. *barf*

Old 10-16-2012, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
Your nose will definitely let you know when you're getting close...

Old 10-16-2012, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
Cow shit is bearable. Try pigshit when they has just spread it. Whew!!!

I used to hate cleaning the pigpen. Now horse shit is a pleasant aroma.

My friendly chipmunk still shits in my cabin filter. I shake it out and spray with Frebreez(Sp). I must remember to switch to cabin air when parked.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr

My friendly chipmunk still shits in my cabin filter. I shake it out and spray with Frebreez(Sp). I must remember to switch to cabin air when parked.
dang, black3sr...sounds like you are having a shitty day.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr

Maaaannnn, have to admit, can't top that! Won't touch it either... Name reminds me of Charlie Brown's side-kick.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Stock filter is not charcoal activated. Maybe it was so clogged that it restricted air flow letting less smell creep inside. A new filter flows freely and so the outside stank comes inside more.

_

Old 10-17-2012, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Arrow Alternate resource

Save some $$. Bought my cabin filter from these guys: 2008 Honda Fit Replacement Parts Cheap

Works fine...

Old 10-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks fellow Fitter's.

Much appreciated.

FB

Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
I was under the dash, dropped the panels on both sides, on both there is filter material, laying on the plastic surface, held in place with cuts in the material. My question is are these the filters you are talking about? I have never seen a filter not cover a vent or tube forcing air though it, laying on a shelf of plastic with air passing near by doesn't filter anything, it just collects dust like any surface, probably less than my dash the way they are located under the dash.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
The cabin filter is accessed through and located behind the glove box. Check your owner's manual. Not sure of what you're talking about.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:15 PM
sound deadening material^

Facepalm*

Old 10-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Subie
There's a big (cattle ranch/feeding station) area here by the freeway (I-5) in northern CA which would be the ultimate charcoal filter test I think. I don't think the Recirc setting will work either. You just hope you have tailwind as you approach and headwind as you pass by...
I know this ranch you speak of, and no, recirc doesn't stop it. The east side of the Dumbarton Bridge smells almost as bad

Originally Posted by DaveFL
I was under the dash, dropped the panels on both sides, on both there is filter material, laying on the plastic surface, held in place with cuts in the material. My question is are these the filters you are talking about? I have never seen a filter not cover a vent or tube forcing air though it, laying on a shelf of plastic with air passing near by doesn't filter anything, it just collects dust like any surface, probably less than my dash the way they are located under the dash.
Originally Posted by Subie
The cabin filter is accessed through and located behind the glove box. Check your owner's manual. Not sure of what you're talking about.
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
sound deadening material^

Facepalm*

Yes, the filter is behind the glovebox, you have to drop the glovebox down and pull the filter out the little trapdoor. The door goes into the vent system behind the dash.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Just bumping this old thread to note that a service guy at the local dealer where I bought my 2nd gen Fit claimed that the original factory-installed Fit filter has activated charcoal. That sounded like malarkey because I did not remember seeing what looked like an activate charcoal filter when I had the original filter changed.

Quick Reply: Cabin air Filter - Car exhaust....?