2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Odd sound (thoughts?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Odd sound (thoughts?)

Over the past couple of days I've noticed an odd sound on my '09 Sport albeit it doesn't always do it. After driving and putting it into Park, I hear a quick whirring noise (like the old power antennas) that lasts for about a second or two. Has anybody else ever experienced this?

Old 10-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Milage? Changed the transmission fluid recently? Checked its level?

If I'm inside my garage with the windows on the car rolled down, I can hear various sounds from the transmission when I shift between the various settings (P, R, N D). It does sound kinda like a pump and relay opening.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux

If I'm inside my garage with the windows on the car rolled down, I can hear various sounds from the transmission when I shift between the various settings (P, R, N D). It does sound kinda like a pump and relay opening.
It has 22,xxx on the odometer and the transmission fluid has never been changed. I do admit that I didn't check the level and will do that in a few.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
have you had the muffler bearing checked? might be time to get a new one.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Also, if the sound is reliably reproducible, it should be pretty easy to locate with two people.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
The sound does seem to be coming from the rear. I'll start there.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member

I just checked the level and it's right on the mark.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
The muffler bearings seem to be ok. Could it be the turbo encabulator?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
While you are eliminating the easy things, check to see if it is the fan cooling engine, even if it is in the front, I added a trailer hitch and just the ball on the tube made a lot of noise and it was impossible to say where is was coming from. Duct tape around tube, stopped all the noise.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DaveFL
While you are eliminating the easy things, check to see if it is the fan cooling engine, even if it is in the front, I added a trailer hitch and just the ball on the tube made a lot of noise and it was impossible to say where is was coming from. Duct tape around tube, stopped all the noise.
Crazy part is it sounds like it is coming from the rear. The car is stock and nothing is back there that I can think of that would make a noise like that.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Do your doors unlock when you put it into park?

Old 10-19-2012, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
I get the same thing when I turn off my 2011 Fit 5MT. It's like a Weeerp! sound from the back somewhere. Almost sounds like a vacuum type thing. I am inclined to think it has something to do with the fuel system evaporative emissions stuff.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 PM
rear wipers.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Do your doors unlock when you put it into park?
I didn't think about that! They do! I'll change the programming and see what is does. Thanks!

Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by x_25
I get the same thing when I turn off my 2011 Fit 5MT. It's like a Weeerp! sound from the back somewhere. Almost sounds like a vacuum type thing. I am inclined to think it has something to do with the fuel system evaporative emissions stuff.
Weeerp is the perfect way to describe the sound! I'm assuming you just live with it? The only thing that gets me to think something is askew is because it never did it until a couple of days ago.

I'm going to try changing when the doors lock/unlock as previously mentioned to see what that does.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SieGunso
rear wipers.
Negative. I never use it.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde
Weeerp is the perfect way to describe the sound! I'm assuming you just live with it? The only thing that gets me to think something is askew is because it never did it until a couple of days ago.
Well then I can assure you that if you ignore it for 20k miles nothing will go wrong.

Mine has been doing it, as far as I can tell, since almost when it was new. It only does it sometimes and I thought it had something to do with turning the car off, but apparently not! Then again, having a manual, mine unlocks the doors when the key is turned to the accessory position, not when shifted into park (which, I happen to be lacking). Let me know if it is the door locks or not. I will continue to ignore it for now.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Weeerp is the perfect sound to describe it. Mine is doing it too and it is going to Honda on Monday. It happens when you put it in park. The door unlock....weeerp!

I'll try a little can of pneumatic aerosol to see if I can make it go away in the meantime.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
Weeerp is the perfect sound to describe it. Mine is doing it too and it is going to Honda on Monday. It happens when you put it in park. The door unlock....weeerp!

I'll try a little can of pneumatic aerosol to see if I can make it go away in the meantime.
Mine actually seems to happen in the milliseconds between going into park and the doors unlocking. But from the rear! Is your car going in on Monday for this problem or for something else and you'll mention it?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:03 PM
exactly for that

Quick Reply: Odd sound (thoughts?)