2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation Reviews - Should I get it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Smile Navigation Reviews - Should I get it?

Hi all, I'm a first time poster, prospective Fit buyer. I'm really falling in love with the car, and I intend to buy a new 2013 Sport AT in the next few weeks, but I can't figure out if I should get it with Navi or not... I've been doing some research on the forums, but there doesn't seem to be too much out there besides a few short comments on the Honda navigation system not being too great. So I'm hoping I can solicit some more detailed reviews from people here who either bought the Sport Navi, or were thinking about it and decided against it (and what they use instead).

Some things about me:
1. I'm coming from a car that does have an in-dash navigation system that I love (Audi), and is extremely easy to use.
2. I recently moved to a new city that I don't quite know my way around yet, so I do use navigation at least once a week.
3. I have tried forcing myself to use my phone for navigation to see what it's like, and it's certainly manageable but not the best. Part of that may be that I don't have a good place to put it in my current car, so I have to put it down on the front passenger seat, and then pick it up when I'm looking for the next direction, or look down... My phone speaker is also just not loud enough when I'm driving unless the radio is playing very quietly.

Basically, is it worth getting the navi, considering that it may not be the best system and what other options are out there (standalone GPS units, aftermarket in-dash unit, smartphones, etc.)?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:38 PM
i'm interested to hear what everyone has to say about this,

the price difference is $2500.00 for the 2013

and you can get a top rated navigation indash unit for what 1000.00?
the one i'm thinking about http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVIC...IC-Z140BH.html

its the reason i went w/out. But I have yet to make any major changes. For the time being i'm using a TomTom

Last edited by True Adrian; 11-08-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Back in 2008 when I first put the deposit down on my GE8 Sport 09 MT w/ Navi, the Navi package was the only way to get the steering wheel audio controls & the VSA. so for me it was more than worth it... now both of those features are standard with the Sports trim package (iirc).

Even with the addition of Bluetooth on the newer models $2500 is a lot extra for Navi. Does the 2013 include a back up camera? Even still, it might not be worth the extra $2500... For that much you can get a much better aftermarket in-dash Navi, with more features... After almost 4 yrs I'm contemplating upgrading as well...

That being said I still love my in-dash OEM Navi.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
What the heck are you asking other people for? You have already laid out the case why a navigation is very useful to you: you have one and you use it, you like it, you're directionally challenged, and you think your phone is dangerous to look down at (it is).

But we can't tell you how much YOU value the option :P Sorry. Make own decision. Costs $2000 more upfront, you can't add it later.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Phone mounts are like $20

Personally I see no need for an in-dash unit in this day and age, but that's just like, my opinion man.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yep, i too use my smartphone as my nav unit. google nav rocks! free map updates, free traffic, voice activated search and pretty good too.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:33 PM
I personally hate non-integrated dash units. Cables going everywhere, tiny speaker, big sign to thieves saying smash my window, etc. Give me a device that's part of the dash, has a nice sized screen, integrates with the sound system, etc.

Is the honda navi worth it? It was to me when I bough the car. It was the only way to get the steering wheel controls (another must have IMO) and VSA. If I were buying today, I'd look at if its cost effective to replace the stock stereo.

I'm not sure if the software is the same from my version (2010) to the 2013 version. I know the hardware is different with the dropping of the DVD based storage to flash. That said, both my fit and my accord work about the same so I'd be surprised if newer version is different.

Inputing your destination/searching for points of interest is a pain. It just doesn't work well. Typically, I'll search on my phone to find the address of whatever it is and input that rather than search for the nearest Wendys. I just never find that searching works well.

Once you get it put in though, the actual navigation isn't bad. Its pretty good about finding a good route, but I've never had a navigation program that I thought was perfect. It works about as well as any other.

Updates are pricey; usually $100-150 depending on if you catch a sale. in general though, you only need to update if they've greatly changed the roads in your town.

So is it worth it? depends on what your other options are.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
no cables going everywhere on mine, speakers are through BT visor speakers (motorola roadster2) so very loud and clear. voice recog is very good too.

it's a clean install and i dont think theive want my motorola droid4 cradle or the roadster2 if you asked me. i can unclip the roadster2 and place in my glove box if im worried.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:54 PM
So instead of cables, I have to deal with batteries? That's not making me love the idea much more.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:02 PM
i've been thinking about it.

the difference between OEM navi and after market in dash navi is about $1000.00.

After market navi's bluetooth mic might not get mounted in an optimum position.

The 1000.00 saves you time and fuss of looking for and installing one yourself, you drive away Done.

I've heard no reviews on the new navi so it may or may not be worse than the aftermarket version, but it does have the added benefit of being covered by Honda's warranty.

It really comes down to the 1000.00.

And if you're trying to save money then the best call is to go with the Fit sans navi and get a garmin unit. saving 2350.00

Last edited by True Adrian; 11-08-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't run any cables either, but I don't use anything fancy, my phone can be SCARY loud if you turn it all the way up.

Battery is also pretty bad ass, I only need the charger if i'm going on long trips (like 4+ hours) and i'm running GPS continuously, but I don't usually need the GPS to tell me to go straight for four hours, I can handle that on my own, so I turn off the GPS and resume when I get closer to my destination or if i'm coming up on something i'm not too sure about. I just memorize a few of the freeway interchanges, call me old school.

Then when I get there and park the car, I take the mount off and throw it in the glovebox and put the phone in my pocket.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 PM
IMHO the navigation option is overpriced. A 27" iMac costs about the same as the navigation upgrade. (Granted, the iMac isn't very usable in a Fit, but nevertheless...) A standalone GPS unit is 1/20th the cost, and provides just as good—possibly better—navigation capabilities. A better featured aftermarket head unit and a decently long road trip to enjoy it could easily be less expensive, too.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
I have a Motorola Droid X2 that i use for my navigation. (occasionally i'll use the garmin as well) I have the Moto dock which works very well and I also have a Belkin bluetooth module that plugs into the aux input on my dash and I snake the cord into the glove compartment. the moto connects to my car stereo via bluetooth so there aren't lots of cables all over the place. I also make/receive phone calls and listen to music through pandora, the cloud, or from the phone... All over bluetooth. The phone is mounted in the driver's corner window so it is in perfect view and i use google maps as well as NAVFree USA if I don't have a data connection.

In dash navigations are useful but I wouldn't go with the OEM navi. the aftermarket solutions for $600 are much much better and have integrated bluetooth as well as much higher quality sound. they'll also receive more updates than the OE navi.

Personally, I'll likely upgrade my stereo with something that has built in bluetooth which will provide better sound and true integration so that I don't have to be on Aux input. for Navi, i'll stick with my phone or the Garmin as I wouldn't even consider spending an additional $2500 on a built in Navi system. with In-Dash aftermarket Navi systems costing $600-$100 and install being $100-$200, i don't know how honda (or anyone) can justify spending a $1300 premium for something that has the honda logo on it.

I'd get the sport, add a navi Head Unit (if you want it in-dash) or get a Decent Dock for your phone and add a bluetooth connection.

~SB

Old 11-08-2012, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
So instead of cables, I have to deal with batteries? That's not making me love the idea much more.
not sure which era you're from but the charge on a roaster2 lasts me about 5wks used daily before needing a charge. and the droid dock is powered.

you can buy short plugs like this and hide away the cords.

here's a 6" cable.

Amazon.com: StarTech.com 6 Inch Micro USB Cable - A to Micro B (UUSBHAUB6 Inch): Electronics Amazon.com: StarTech.com 6 Inch Micro USB Cable - A to Micro B (UUSBHAUB6 Inch): Electronics

all fits just forward of the center cup holders.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Dont get the Nav unit. The standard sport with a bluetooth add on works fine with smartphone navigation. Google maps are way better than any standalone navigation system out there.

USA Spec Honda Bluetooth® Interface Talk hands-free and stream music in select 2003-up Honda vehicles (Model BT35-HON) at Crutchfield.com

Old 11-08-2012, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
agreed! plus, doesn't the map updates cost like $100+ each time at the dealer?

thought you guys were about saving money. get google nav. it's all free.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
On my 2009, I find that the in dash navigation system has a much better GPS receiver than any of my phones or a standalone GPS, probably because there's a separate GPS antenna. I imagine you'd get that with any in-dash system though. Truthfully, it doesn't matter in a lot of places; I've only noticed a difference in cities with lots of tall buildings (NYC and Chicago).

One consideration about there is a trend for the newer systems offered by the manufacturer to limit the inputs you can make while driving. I'm not sure if Honda's gone that way yet, but if they have, that may steer you towards an aftermarket system.

Finally, the cupholder by the steering wheel is a perfect place for a smartphone/GPS mount that's easy to reach, easy to see, and easy to take out and stash somewhere.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by krunk13
Dont get the Nav unit. The standard sport with a bluetooth add on works fine with smartphone navigation. Google maps are way better than any standalone navigation system out there.

USA Spec Honda Bluetooth® Interface Talk hands-free and stream music in select 2003-up Honda vehicles (Model BT35-HON) at Crutchfield.com
Love this place, learn something new everyday. I didn't know about that interface - Thank you.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by True Adrian
Love this place, learn something new everyday. I didn't know about that interface - Thank you.
The Bluetooth device is slightly cheaper at college hills Honda. Not sure if shipping is included or not though.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Either way, both of those really aren't that any/much cheaper than a new Head unit with bluetooth built in. you then get the added sound quality that aftermarket brings as well as additional features (like better ipod navigation).

Car Stereos

for $100 more, this is the one I am looking at: JVC KW-R900BT

~SB

Quick Reply: Navigation Reviews - Should I get it?