2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Navigation Reviews - Should I get it?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't read any of this thread other than the OP's question, I therefore apologize in advance if I'm stepping on any toes or repeating (or contradicting) advice that's already been given by other posters.

I have very very firm views on this. DON't even think about wasting your hard-earned cash on Honda's system (or on any other manufacturer's system). None of them are great, they charge a fortune for their systems, they expect you to pay a lot for map updates, and they are fixed to the car in question.

You are way way way better off buying a TomTom or a Garmin. They work just as well (if not better), they cost less, map updates are affordable, and you can use them in any vehicle. I have a TomTom and it travels with me everywhere in the world on an almost monthly basis ... it's absolutely invaluable to me.

For me, I cannot think of a single advantage to one of the built-in units.

Last edited by Spitfire; 12-05-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Everyone seems to have their own opinions about this, but I'll add mine anyway. :P

I'm one of those people who love factory navigation. This car is already at a pretty low price point already, so another $2Kish won't break the bank. I enjoy having something that looks factory and is integrated with all the features of the car.

I've been in the aftermarket game for almost 18 years now and I have never encountered an aftermarket stereo/navigation system that has better Bluetooth integration than the factory. There is always a sound issue (either one party can't hear, or there's too much background noise). There is likely some small speaker you have to stick somewhere too.

Yes, sound quality is 100x improved, but there are ways around that too.

That's just me. All my cars will have navigation in the future, unless it's something like an Ariel Atom or something.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
mellowpa - that looks 100% factory. I think you made the right choice. I don't have navigation, because just didn't see the need for it. My phone is more than adequate for the few times that I need it. But if I moved to a new city, I could see where it could definitely come in handy.

I do have a stand-alone Garmin that I've used on road trips. Works well when the phone doesn't have service.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM
i completely agree with krunk13. i wasn't sure which one to get either. I just bought my fit a week ago. and yes it sucks that it doesn't come with bluetooth, but I added the

USA Spec Honda Bluetooth® Interface Talk hands-free and stream music in select 2003-up Honda vehicles (Model BT35-HON) at Crutchfield.com

and it works great!!! it was either $200 installation included or the $2500 for navi... obviously i believe i made the best choice.

and it works with the features on the steering wheel

Old 06-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Navigation system update for a 2012 Fit

A place in Berkeley that fixes only Hondas tells me that they have had complaints that the new Navigation System update for the Fit is not liked by some of their customers, and there is no going back to the old system. I am not going to install until I see some kind of reassuring post here.

We have a 2012, but have always found the Navi not very helpful, and the manual is a weighty volume indeed. I had hoped the update, which I purchased on line, for $100, would be better, but now I am afraid to install it. They tell me you just put it in the CD slot and it installs itself.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:57 PM
As long as it doesn't lock you out of navi when moving, like all newer Hondas do.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
I personally also like the units that go on the windshield - I don;t like taking my eyes off the road to look at the map. But your choice looks fantastic ! I am glad you are happy with it.