2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

resetting TPMS after fixing flat

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Question resetting TPMS after fixing flat

How do I reset the TPMS warning on 2009 Fit Sport after I have fixed a flat tire?

Old 11-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
drive it around and it should reset on its own.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Have driven 2000 miles. BTW, flat repaired at small backwoods shop with open car port for garage.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sounds like they broke the sensor then. those are about $40-50 + installation at your local major tire store like discount tires.

it would usually not even take a mile to pair itself.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
If the sensor is broken, it should give off the TPMS alarm and not the low tire pressure alarm. which one do you have (TPMS or "(_!_)" )?

Try double-checking your tire pressure all the way around and pumping up to 36psi on all four. then drive for a little bit.

~SB

Old 11-10-2012, 05:50 PM
let the air out again to like 20psi, fill it back up to your normal psi and drive it again, sometimes you gotta make the sensor realize you fixed it.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 AM
My TPMS light came on, and Discount Tire reset it for free. Simple, and took just a minute. The TPMS light came on after the low pressure light did, but still no problem restating.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Nothing to reset!

Originally Posted by busharroo
How do I reset the TPMS warning on 2009 Fit Sport after I have fixed a flat tire?
If the tire pressures are all OK, then the sensor broke either by you driving on the flat tire, or the garage who fixed the tire when they dismounted it. There is nothing to reset unless a TPMS sensor was changed out. It can take 30 or 40 miles for the light to come on the dash to indicate the broken (nonexistent to the system) sensor, rather than just low pressure. If "you" broke the sensor, the garage should have let you know prior to dismounting the tire (it is easy with the correct scan tool), otherwise they own the problem. Have them check that particular sensor with their scan tool. If it's bad, have them dismount the tire in front of you and you will probably see a damaged or missing sensor. Then make them put in a new sensor and make sure they reprogram your computer, via your car's OBDII port, for the new sensor, at their expense. Your car, like most Asian cars, does not have a "learn" mode for the TPMS IDs. The new ID for any new sensor that is put on your car, must be entered into your car's computer using the car's OBDII port and a proper TPMS tool. Don't let the garage tell you that it will learn it on its own. It won't! And don't let them tell you that you have to go to the dealer to reprogram it, at your expense. That is a tool that any garage that works on tires should have. I have the tool myself so that I can change back and forth from winter to summer tires and wheels. It is an Ateq QuickSet and I use it twice every year. There are fancier ones for garage use.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
I had a tire changed after an accident, when I got the car back the low pressure light was on, usually after a few miles in cold weather it goes out. But not this time, when I got it home I checked the psi and it was 32 all around. I drove to work this morning the low press light was still on then it went out and the TPMS light came on. So if I'm reading things right the sensor got broken right?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by running
I had a tire changed after an accident, when I got the car back the low pressure light was on, usually after a few miles in cold weather it goes out. But not this time, when I got it home I checked the psi and it was 32 all around. I drove to work this morning the low press light was still on then it went out and the TPMS light came on. So if I'm reading things right the sensor got broken right?
yup. its dead.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
yup. its dead.
I thought so but I wanted to get a second opinion.

Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Don't let the tire place off the hook!

Originally Posted by running
You should bring the car back to the tire place and let them check each sensor with a scan tool. This should take them around 2 minutes. If the tire they changed contains the bad sensor, they own the problem. It is their responsibility to scan the sensor prior to breaking down the tire off the wheel and show you at that time that the sensor is bad, otherwise, it is fair to assume that they broke it because they were the last to deal with it. I bought myself an ATEQ VT30 tool for $210 to avoid this kind of problem. I can check each sensor and read its ID, temp, state, and pressure with this tool. It keeps garages honest and helps me diagnose any TPMS problem. Also have the ATEQ Quickset, so I can change from winter wheels to summer ones and relearn the system myself.

The garage might try to tell you that the light would have changed to "TPMS" as soon as you left, if it were their fault. This is not true. It can take up to 30 miles or so for that to happen. Tire places don't tell you that they broke the sensor hoping you will believe that enough time went by that you are seeing a new problem and then they can charge you for fixing it. Don't fall into this trap.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
I read your replies and will follow your advice, bingo on the mileage 30-40. I called the shop up and told him whats going on and he told me to bring it in and he should be able to reset it? I'm not sure if he replaced the sensor or not. I'll report back, I'm going to the shop on Monday.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by hspatz
.... I bought myself an ATEQ VT30 tool for $210 to avoid this kind of problem. I can check each sensor and read its ID, temp, state, and pressure with this tool. It keeps garages honest and helps me diagnose any TPMS problem. Also have the ATEQ Quickset, so I can change from winter wheels to summer ones and relearn the system myself...
ATEQ seems to be the best route... I was looking in to the Orange TPMS system, their diagnostic tool seems to combine both ATEQ devices you mentioned, the only drawback is you have to use their sensors (a little more expensive), and they never replied to any emails/calls.

Hey does the ATEQ VT30 also show the TPMS battery status?

Might have to get one of those in addition to the Quickset.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Yes for temp

Originally Posted by FitStir

Hey does the ATEQ VT30 also show the TPMS battery status?

Yes. It shows, temp, pressure, ID, battery, and the mhz for the sensor, for our cars 315 mhz. For mine it says "OK" for battery. I don't know what the other choices are. It also tells you whether the sensor is in "storage" mode such as when the vehicle has not been driven for a while or the other mode-- don't remember its name, such as when it has been recently driven. That let's you verify that the accelerometer in the sensors is working, so you can totally diagnose sensor problems and IDs with it and even verify that the proper sensor was put in. It should work with any sensor for any car made. I bought the VT30 at Tooltopia for $209.99.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hspatz
..... I bought the VT30 at Tooltopia for $209.99.
Thanks for the info... +reps.

Looks like I'll be getting a VT30 as well (in the future).

Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
The sensor was reset to the car, the low tire psi light came on, the TPMS was out, drove it for a bit. It's all good.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Dumb question: spare tire doesn't have the tpms right?

Old 12-10-2012, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
I believe you are correct sir, never thought of that. But see above post. Thanks

Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
FIts only remember (4) TPMS values.

Originally Posted by jching1
Dumb question: spare tire doesn't have the tpms right?
No TPMS in spare. The Fits only remember (4) sensor IDs in a position non specific manner. That means that as long as the same four sensors stay on the car, they can be rotated to any position on the car without reprogramming the car's TPMS computer.

Quick Reply: resetting TPMS after fixing flat