2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

resetting TPMS after fixing flat

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:01 PM
ADDING a question to this post!

I just had 4 tires put on my car the TPMS was on when I went in! he scanned all the wheels and found a bad sensor AGAIN BEFORE it went in!

He added a new sensor for a fee of course, when the car was done I drove away with the light still on! I turned around and went back inside the tire mechanic and sales person both said it had to be driven for 15-20 min for the light to go out??? I have driven about 18 miles of stop and go traffic and the light is still on!

So will this light go out on it's own or do they need to reset the computer?

Thanks
Shawn

Old 09-15-2013, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Body2Big

I just had 4 tires put on my car the TPMS was on when I went in! he scanned all the wheels and found a bad sensor AGAIN BEFORE it went in!

He added a new sensor for a fee of course, when the car was done I drove away with the light still on! I turned around and went back inside the tire mechanic and sales person both said it had to be driven for 15-20 min for the light to go out??? I have driven about 18 miles of stop and go traffic and the light is still on!

Thanks
Shawn
I don't see your other post (?). When you say "he" do you mean a tire dealer? Honda?

New sensors have to be registered with the car's receiver. If this was done it may take a day or two for the signal to take affect. A tire dealer should have this ability, but unless he connected something to the car and entered the sensor's serial# it's suspicious. I think some aftermarket sensors will copy the old sensor's serial#, but it probably had to be working in that case (these are more for an extra set of winter tires).

I'd wait a couple days and if it's still on take it back where you got it. If they can't fix it get your money refunded and go to Honda.

Last edited by Steve244; 09-15-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Body2Big

Thanks
Shawn
Unfortunately, the dealer was not knowledgeable about the Honda Fit. Any new sensor must be registered using a device attached to your OBDII connector. Once this is done I am quite sure that the TPMS light will flash. I am absolutely sure that within a few tenths of a mile the light will go out. I believe you must reach a threshold speed such as 25 or 30 mph. I know the light goes out fast because I relearn the car's computer for the TPMS twice annually when I change to and from my snow tires. Believe me, it takes very little driving to get a no light TPMS condition.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 PM
hello everybody. am new here and i know its sort of an old thread. i ve this same problem, just got a pilot last december and the tpms light is on. i need to know how i can locate the sensors cos i think they are damaged

Old 02-07-2014, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connoisseur
hello everybody. am new here and i know its sort of an old thread. i ve this same problem, just got a pilot last december and the tpms light is on. i need to know how i can locate the sensors cos i think they are damaged
If you have a light that says, "TPMS" that remains on then you will need a tool like an ATEQ VT30 that requests the information from each sensor as you move from wheel to wheel. Any sensor that does not respond needs to be replaced. Most tire places will do this for free. Expect to pay around $40/sensor + $20 to replace it. Then they have to reprogram your computer for the ID# of the new sensor. Once you hit 30 mph the light should go out.

If you have the tire and "!" then you have a tire that is low on air. Just put air in and the light should go out in a short period.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by hspatz
If you have a light that says, "TPMS" that remains on then you will need a tool like an ATEQ VT30 that requests the information from each sensor as you move from wheel to wheel. Any sensor that does not respond needs to be replaced. Most tire places will do this for free. Expect to pay around $40/sensor + $20 to replace it. Then they have to reprogram your computer for the ID# of the new sensor. Once you hit 30 mph the light should go out.

If you have the tire and "!" then you have a tire that is low on air. Just put air in and the light should go out in a short period.
It shows the "!" sign which later "TPMS" after a while. Moreover I checked and added to the tires, but the light wouldn't go away
Thanks for the reply though. it's well appreciated.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:15 AM
got flat tire while parked changed to spare after about 20 miles TPMS light came up. Problems with sensor or is it because the sensor is not inside car?

Old 02-16-2014, 05:19 AM
Originally Posted by Carlos Inoa
got flat tire while parked changed to spare after about 20 miles TPMS light came up. Problems with sensor or is it because the sensor is not inside car?
If im reading this corrextly, you drove 20 miles before you put the spare on.

If you did, it could be a damaged sensor.

It also says sensor is not inside the car. Does that mean the wheel that was flat has not been fixed and is not in the car anymore? If its in the car and still flat the light will be on. If its not int the car anymore the light should be on because the computer thinks the sensor has failed since it cant communicate with it.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by 2010FitSport
If im reading this corrextly, you drove 20 miles before you put the spare on.

If you did, it could be a damaged sensor.

It also says sensor is not inside the car. Does that mean the wheel that was flat has not been fixed and is not in the car anymore? If its in the car and still flat the light will be on. If its not int the car anymore the light should be on because the computer thinks the sensor has failed since it cant communicate with it.
thanks for info sensor is ok.. fixed tire after a few minutes light went off

Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Are TPM's on Fits real sensetive? I had the TPM light come on twice in the last 2 weeks. Went to Discount Tire and they put proper air pressure in tires, light goes away. But I thought, OK, 2 times in 2 weeks, is there a problem with one or more of the sensors? Or is that just normal? The weather here in Phoenix is goofy, high 80's (15 degrees over normal), so am wondering if that is the problem. Cool at night and hot in day time, could cause tire temp to fluctuate. ???