2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS turns on and off during long drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
"TPMS" light turns on and off during long drive

Was wondering if anyone could help me troubleshoot this issue - Took a 3hr trip to Philly and back this weekend and saw the "TPMS" light go on then off during my drive, both ways. Anyone have an idea on why the light would go on then off? At first I thought the tire pressure was low, then figured out that's a different light. This is the first time it's happened since buying the Fit in January 2014. Sitting at 44k miles.

Last edited by jy1129; 10-01-2017 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
If you have a tire get too high of pressure the later TPMS will turn a light on to remind you to check pressures, its based on rotation speed of all 4 wheels using the ABS sensors so a high tire is bigger around than the others and makes the TPMS do a WTF signal. On extended drives would be when I'd expect it..

Old 10-01-2017, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
If you have a tire get too high of pressure the later TPMS will turn a light on to remind you to check pressures, its based on rotation speed of all 4 wheels using the ABS sensors so a high tire is bigger around than the others and makes the TPMS do a WTF signal. On extended drives would be when I'd expect it..
That makes a lot of sense... I have the front tires about 3PSI higher than the rear tires (41/38). I'll lower the PSI on the front tires and hope that fixes the issue. Thanks for the info!

Old 10-01-2017, 09:31 PM
To the OP, I just went on about a 300 mile trip in two days in my 2017, mine did this. Although i don't know what light is coming on in yours. Is it the one that looks like a tire, thats the one that came on for me. I was running 35 in all four tires. Pulled over and checked, all tires were fine. I was going to do what you have done which is put about two or three pounds more in my front than the rear,(a trick i do in my two subarus to insure that all 4 tires rotate at the exact same speed to keep the awd happy and safe) but now that your light is coming on i guess i will just forget about it. Seems like this is a common problem with these cars. Still better than having expensive sensors to replace from time to time.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:59 PM
Mine does that too. Did it with the old tires and doing it with brand new tires. Once in a blue moon it does it? The TPMS has nothing to do with rotations other than the pressure in the tires. If the wheel speed sensors are getting different signals it would be worn or bad wheel bearings ( had a chevy venture do this ) due to a bad wheel bearing. I have no clue of the Fit's wheel bearings but the ventures had a sensor inside the wheel bearing for speeds, so there was a wire molded into the wheel bearing, where I see videos of the fit's wheel bearings being replaced and there is no wires???

Old 10-02-2017, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sono
Mine does that too. Did it with the old tires and doing it with brand new tires. Once in a blue moon it does it? The TPMS has nothing to do with rotations other than the pressure in the tires. If the wheel speed sensors are getting different signals it would be worn or bad wheel bearings ( had a chevy venture do this ) due to a bad wheel bearing. I have no clue of the Fit's wheel bearings but the ventures had a sensor inside the wheel bearing for speeds, so there was a wire molded into the wheel bearing, where I see videos of the fit's wheel bearings being replaced and there is no wires???
You may want to read this for a better understanding of the new system. There are not pressure readings taken. It is based on wheel speed.

The Difference Between Direct and Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems | College Hills Honda Blog

I'm surprised it meets the mandate for TPMS systems. I appreciate that it's simpler, but it's far less accurate.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
You may want to read this for a better understanding of the new system. There are not pressure readings taken. It is based on wheel speed.

The Difference Between Direct and Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems | College Hills Honda Blog

I'm surprised it meets the mandate for TPMS systems. I appreciate that it's simpler, but it's far less accurate.
Well it look like the 2015+ Fits have the indirect system. My 2013 has the traditional direct tire pressure monitoring so the rotational speed should have no affect on the sensors, right? Maybe it's just a battery starting to go bad in one of the sensors.

Last edited by jy1129; 10-02-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jy1129
Well it look like the 2015+ Fits have the indirect system. My 2013 has the traditional direct tire pressure monitoring so the rotational speed should have no affect on the sensors, right? Maybe it's just a battery starting to bad in one of the sensors.
Shouldn't be going dead yet. Ours still work after 9 years. Maybe radio interference? Did you have any electronic devices inside the car that you don't normally have or did it maybe happen at the same spot both directions?

Old 10-02-2017, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
That was just a guess, but hard to say. I have found that they don't even trigger the light until they have lost connection for quite some time.

We have a second set of aftermarket wheels that we run on the Fit without sensors. I keep the stock wheels stacked in the garage aired up with tires mounted. As long as I don't take a trip, the TPMS light never illuminates. The car just gets a reading from the sensors in the garage and is happy. Been doing that for years. Works until we go on a long road trip.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jy1129
Well it look like the 2015+ Fits have the indirect system. My 2013 has the traditional direct tire pressure monitoring so the rotational speed should have no affect on the sensors, right? Maybe it's just a battery starting to go bad in one of the sensors.
My FIT EV seems to have both sensors and the rotational stuff, maybe its unique to the EV.. Cause it has the Rad Tier flat warning light and the amber tire light and the amber one came on on me the day I leased it and it was a right front with 5lbs too much pressure.. The tech at the dealer told me how it worked its not in the owners manual..

Old 10-06-2017, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
So I checked my the pressure on my tires and for whatever reason they were higher than I thought... so I'm thinking that it was because of the high pressure that the "TPMS" light went on. I haven't seen it since I've lowered the pressure in my tires.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know if the TPMS "System" light comes on because of high tire pressure. My 2011 Sport AT has had all four (4) TPMS sensors replaced because low voltage / dying battery in each sensor (one at a time) turned the TPMS "System" light on versus the (!) pressure light that comes on because low tire pressure.

My wife has a 2009 CIVIC with TPMS and 106K miles without a problem. I don't get it that my FIT appears to have had crap sensors.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Just had to replace a sensor for that problem...but mine's a '10 Fit with about 90K.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
Just buy a Cdn Fit. No TPMS

Old 01-28-2018, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
I had to replace a sensor when I had my '09 Fit. It was only about 4 years old IIRC, so it DOES happen.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
We are extremely lucky! 10 years now and haven't replaced a sensor. I know the clock is ticking pretty fast at this point on those batteries though.