1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

TPMS Tire Question

Old 07-22-2010, 11:46 PM
TPMS Tire Question

About a year ago my back drivers side wheel was stolen (and they left the drum on the ground!), from my 2008 fit sport.

Anyways, I found a stock replacement from some guy on craigslist, had low mileage, and he said it had TPMS. Anyways, every since I put it on, the TPMS light has been on. I hasn't bothered me too much since I just use a real tire pressure gauge.

Anyways, I'd like to fix it. Does anybody know if there is a physical way to inspect if the replacement tire has TPMS?

Anything else I could do to fix it, if indeed the the tire does not have TPMS? (aside from buying a whole new tire/wheel assembly).

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
Where you sure that the rim had a TPMS sensor in it instead of just having the indention for the TPMS sensor?

Without a sensor the TPMS light will remain on. If you have gotten a sensor with that rim and the light is still, you will need to have the system reset at either a dealer or (possibly) a tire shop.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Cool Whenever...

You change the TPMS sensors it needs to be reset at the dealer for $100+...

They would sync your car up to the chip id's in the TPMS sensors...

There is a way around it with this product...
http://www.orange-electronic.com/eng...uct/sub05.html

But you would have to have the original sensor to make it work...

Keith S. :{)>

Old 07-24-2010, 05:16 PM
if the wheel is from a 2008 just go to the dealer and have them reset. $50.00 in my area.

Originally Posted by nbartlet
About a year ago my back drivers side wheel was stolen (and they left the drum on the ground!), from my 2008 fit sport.

Anyways, I found a stock replacement from some guy on craigslist, had low mileage, and he said it had TPMS. Anyways, every since I put it on, the TPMS light has been on. I hasn't bothered me too much since I just use a real tire pressure gauge.

Anyways, I'd like to fix it. Does anybody know if there is a physical way to inspect if the replacement tire has TPMS?

Anything else I could do to fix it, if indeed the the tire does not have TPMS? (aside from buying a whole new tire/wheel assembly).

Thanks.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrookinFit
if the wheel is from a 2008 just go to the dealer and have them reset. $50.00 in my area.
It doesn't matter what kind of wheel you have. The TPMS sensor just tightens against the barrel of the rim; all the 2008 and other TPMS compatible rims have is a indention so the sensor doesn't wiggle around.

The TPMS system will not function properly if the proper sensor is not used, the sensor is not installed on the rim, and/or reset correctly.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I have an 08 with 09 wheels (same crap woke up one morning with two wheels missing) and the sensors are not compatible. So my coment was if this is a 2008 wheel he should have the right sensor and all he needs to do is go to the dealer to recalibrate.

the 2008 fit all used Pacific sensors while 09+ use TRW hence the two sensors are not compatible.

Originally Posted by Hootie
It doesn't matter what kind of wheel you have. The TPMS sensor just tightens against the barrel of the rim; all the 2008 and other TPMS compatible rims have is a indention so the sensor doesn't wiggle around.

The TPMS system will not function properly if the proper sensor is not used, the sensor is not installed on the rim, and/or reset correctly.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrookinFit
I have an 08 with 09 wheels (same crap woke up one morning with two wheels missing) and the sensors are not compatible. So my coment was if this is a 2008 wheel he should have the right sensor and all he needs to do is go to the dealer to recalibrate.

the 2008 fit all used Pacific sensors while 09+ use TRW hence the two sensors are not compatible.
Like I said...

The way your original post seemed (at least to me) was that if you have an 2008 GD Sport rim, you could get your TPMS system reset and would be good to go.

There was no mention of a sensor of any sort what-so-ever so it seemed kind of misleading.

As long as the proper sensor is used with its corresponding TPMS system and is installed correctly, the system will work. It doesn't matter if you have '08 GD Sport rims, '07 GD Sport rims (non-TPMS rims), etc. I know this for a fact because my TPMS system is working fine even after swapping to rims that are not designed for them.

YouTube - Episode #85 - Honda Fit TPMS Sensors in Older Wheels

^ Here is a video TPMS sensors being installed on rims that were not designed for the sensors.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:29 PM
I am going to head to the dealer tomorrow and have it reset.

I think my original question was, since the replacement wheel I bought off craigslist was a used, factory wheel/tire off another 2008 sport Fit, how could I assure that it did in fact have the TPMS sensor, because when I installed it, the TPMS light never went out. I thought it might be due to the fact that the wheel did not have the sensor it it. But it sounds like you guys are saying that the system needs to be reset.

Could the guy have taken the sensor out and sold it separately? How come the system does not need to be reset when you rotate tires? It seems odd, because in reality, even with the replacement wheel I bought, they are still 4 factory wheel/tires (of slightly different mileage), the light is now on, and I don't see how the system could recognize if I swapped out one factory tire for another tire. Unless resetting the system 'zero's' the pressure at each tire within the computer, but that is getting into how the system actually works....

Old 07-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Where you sure that the rim had a TPMS sensor in it instead of just having the indention for the TPMS sensor?

Without a sensor the TPMS light will remain on. If you have gotten a sensor with that rim and the light is still, you will need to have the system reset at either a dealer or (possibly) a tire shop.
Is it possible to tell by inspecting the rim if there is a sensor there or not?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:45 PM
WGE
5 Year Member
I have two '08 base manual Fits. I had a puncture and a plug put into a tire on Fit #1. The plugged tire has a very slow leak. I'm about to take Fit #1 on a long trip to Colorado and decided to simply swap a tire between Fit #2 and Fit #1 for peace of mind for the trip. The TPMS lights came on in both Fits. Obviously, the sensors for each Fit are coded differently even though they are both '08's. I'm not about to pay to get the sensors reset and I reversed the swap. The TPMS lights went out in less than a mile on both Fits. I'll just take my tire pump on the trip. I was surprised this happened.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Is it possible to tell by inspecting the rim if there is a sensor there or not?
Yep, by looking at the valve stem. A non TPMS sensor equipped rim will have a traditional stem that is some-what skinny and stays a consistent diameter. On a wheel equipped with a sensor, you will be about to see a funky shaped silver cylinder that has a nut like end with part of the valve stem sticking through it.

I know it sounds strange, but click this sentence to see what I am talking about. Pardon the cell phone quality, but you should be able to see the sensor at 7 o'clock on my rim.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Gotcha. Definitely have the sensor in the new wheel. The honda dealer wanted $138 to reset the sensors! Ridiculous. Guess I'll be calling some tire shops to see if they can reset it for me.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 PM
That's plain robbery....my dealer charges $45.00 it takes 30 minutes to do all 4 wheels so how long is it going to take to do one.

here is a link to a tool you can buy it for $105.00 and its your forever.

ATEQ VT10 Universal Trigger Tool

Gotcha. Definitely have the sensor in the new wheel. The honda dealer wanted $138 to reset the sensors! Ridiculous. Guess I'll be calling some tire shops to see if they can reset it for me.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone own ATEQ VT10 / VT55? How does it work?

Old 07-03-2011, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
i would sooner disable the tpms light than pay anything to have that stupid feature. it's not hard to check the air in your tires every so often.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...liminator.html

Last edited by Fat Ping Cat; 07-03-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: adding link
Old 07-03-2011, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Well, since I have 09 FIT Sport. If TPMS is on, VSA is always on (I think).

I am thinking to buy a TPMS reseting tool since I have 3 cars that have TPMS. It would save me money instead of take my cars to a dealer every time I want to swap summer/winter tires. It might even pay for itself within 2-3 years (depends on how much it costs?).

Old 07-10-2017, 04:56 PM
m23
Repair TPMS Stem

Does anyone know if you can repair the stem only on the TPMS Sensor, my valve stem broke. I took the TPMS out of the tire, but I don't see a way to disconnect the stem from the sensor, it appears to be molded into the plastic. My local parts supplier sold me a repair kit that is supposed to work for that car, but I've tried pulling on it, unscrewing it - it won't come out.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Those of us who remember just checking our tire pressures weekly manually have had all our TPMS units uninstalled from our wheels, they add unnecessary weight and make the wheels that much more complex to balance. The TPMS light stays on constantly and so embrace that suck. Jesus, just check your tire pressures with a good gauge weekly. On the '08 Fit, that is the last maddening "smart" feature that we can do without.